• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

pitted aluminum repair

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


  • pitted aluminum repair

    I have seen lots of posts to coat pitting on aluminum. I used West system epoxy to coat my new transom. I was thinking of using this along with the micro fibre filler, to coat the pitting on the inside of the aluminum stern before putting the new transom in.. Would this be the equivalent of using gluvit, or is gluvit got something else in it that makes it better?

    I was also thinking of epoxying a 1/16 sheet between the hull and the new transom.

    Overkill? waste of time and $$? Couldnt hurt? Awesome idea?


  • #2
    Re: pitted aluminum repair

    Hi Phantomv170,As I am researching some restoration info to my 1984 Glastron cvx-16, I came across this thread.As a kid I had a 12ft aluminum duck boat.I used a product called Devcon.It an excellent product for aluminum boats.My uncle who worked as an engineer for a private company that contracted service to the Navy's NUSC division used this stuff.It's consistency is like a fine cement but can be faired and sanded when cured.I used it for securing loose rivits that caused leaks and for securing other areas like the ribs,etc..Just thought I would add my two cents.Good luck

    Comment



    • #3
      Re: pitted aluminum repair

      Originally posted by phantomv170 View Post
      I have seen lots of posts to coat pitting on aluminum. I used West system epoxy to coat my new transom. I was thinking of using this along with the micro fibre filler, to coat the pitting on the inside of the aluminum stern before putting the new transom in.. Would this be the equivalent of using gluvit, or is gluvit got something else in it that makes it better?

      I was also thinking of epoxying a 1/16 sheet between the hull and the new transom.

      Overkill? waste of time and $$? Couldnt hurt? Awesome idea?
      First it would be overkill. What size boat? What is the pitting from?

      You can use jb weld followed by gluvit or a patch. A photo would help out and a bit more information.

      Do not coat the aluminum portion of the transom with west system epoxy since it will fail....... not really meant for that purpose. The wood portion is okay but ir should be coated with west system AND some cloth/matt.
      This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
      Please, shop iboats first!!

      Comment



      • #4
        Re: pitted aluminum repair

        That Devcon stuff appears to be some form of epoxy too. There are so many different 'recipes' of epoxy based products out there. I wonder if they are all pretty much equivalent. Seems like gluvit is the favorite though. Probably because it is specially targeted at boats.

        I have some pics of the pitting. The inside sheet of aluminum would be easy to just replace if necessary. But its the outside hull that concerns me the most. I did see a couple of pin holes.

        I already built my new transom. I have 3 layers of marine plywood. I used west 105 to barrier coat it as per their instructions. It didnt mention anything about using cloth. I filled all of the oversized holes, for the bolts etc with epoxy, and will drill them out when I go to bolt it back up. So I would think it should be totally sealed.
        Attached Files

        Comment



        • #5
          Re: pitted aluminum repair

          You might want to investigate this stuff. I have HEARD it works very well.
          Evercoat's Metal-2-Metal
          http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=37

          I'm just sayin...
          1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
          Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
          Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint

          Comment



          • #6
            Re: pitted aluminum repair

            Originally posted by phantomv170 View Post
            That Devcon stuff appears to be some form of epoxy too. There are so many different 'recipes' of epoxy based products out there. I wonder if they are all pretty much equivalent. Seems like gluvit is the favorite though. Probably because it is specially targeted at boats.

            I have some pics of the pitting. The inside sheet of aluminum would be easy to just replace if necessary. But its the outside hull that concerns me the most. I did see a couple of pin holes.

            I already built my new transom. I have 3 layers of marine plywood. I used west 105 to barrier coat it as per their instructions. It didnt mention anything about using cloth. I filled all of the oversized holes, for the bolts etc with epoxy, and will drill them out when I go to bolt it back up. So I would think it should be totally sealed.
            Hello,

            I had the same exact problem with mine. I first painted it with POR 15 and then filled with jbweld. See my restoration thread below for more details.

            I also used the west system for my transom, one thing i would have done different is to paint the side that will face the inside of the boat, UV rays from the sun will break down the epoxy, a simple coat of paint will keep it protected. Don't think that just because it is shaded it will be out of harm, a simple coat of paint will keep it pristine forever.

            Tim
            ------------------------------------------

            There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904


            Project
            1974 Starcraft Chieftain
            http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....errerid=174999

            "Completed" Project
            1991 Starcraft Islander 191V - Rebuild
            http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=359551

            Comment



            • #7
              Re: pitted aluminum repair

              timfives,

              yours looks worse than mine.
              None of my wood transom will ever see the light of day. It will be completely encased in aluminum. Are you saying I still need to paint it?

              Did you ever put an anode on? Where do you install one?
              I also think my batter must have been grounded to the hull, as I noticed wires attached to the hull in various places. Guess I should change that huh.

              Comment



              • #8
                Re: pitted aluminum repair

                Originally posted by timfives View Post
                Hello,

                I had the same exact problem with mine. I first painted it with POR 15 and then filled with jbweld.
                Tim
                Which por 15 did you use? Was it the silver? Apparently it says it has a metal filler , best used to fill holes and pitting. Sounds perfect if its true.
                Also, which JBweld did you use? Lots of different types there too.

                Comment



                • #9
                  Re: pitted aluminum repair

                  First off prevention from the start is the key...protect new aluminum with a good zinc chromate primer and bottom paint. Also sealing all gaps with 3M 5200 marine sealant is key and Zinc the hull or even hang a zinc wired to the hull over the side during short stays in the water.
                  My plan of attack; Taking the surface down to bare aluminum, rinsing the surface and letting it dry, scrubbing the surface and pitted areas with a strong vinegar/water mix and a wire brush

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X