1975 Century Restoration-Tired Fiberglass!

Attached you will find some photos of a great ski boat that has been in our family since it was purchased new. ?In the Red? is a 1972 Century Mark II with a 360 Chrysler and paragon V-drive. It is in good shape and I am trying to restore her for the next Century.
It has been kept garaged and has not been on the water for ten years. I am comfortable on the mechanical side but I am lost on what needs to be addressed structurally, and cosmetically. I don?t want to have to open her up after this restoration. I don?t have unlimited funds but I want to do it right, including having a professional assist if required.

My areas of concern are three fold.
1. Structurally sound hull. I have opened up the center sub floor. Nothing is rotted and appears solid, with the exception of the supports around the motor mounts. There was a 1? core that was not sealed up. It appears damp but not rotten. The stringers sound solid up to about mid way in the hull, they sound hollow. I am taking the boat to a fiberglass expert to get his opinion on the next steps. I believe I should consider adding some reinforcement. Do I have to take up the remainder of the subflooring? It appears to be bonded to the hull.
I don?t think it has ever been under water, but I do know that it took on some water, up to the drive, over 15 years ago due to a bad bilge pump. What are the next steps? I plan on reinforcing areas around the engine hatch and other areas as needed.

2. Deck reinforcement. Attached you will see the top bow deck and side gunwales. The fiberglass is tired. When you walk on it you can hear it creak. As you can see in the photos there are now reinforcement only spray on foam which appears to be delaminating. What are my options here? Could you remove the foam and reapply chopped fiberglass. Any thoughts are appreciated.
3. Motor mounts. As you can see the motor mounts are made up of wood blocks. The front post supports concern me the most. What are my options here? I would think new mounts would be in order, but how and what? It appears that threaded dowels and epoxy were used to secure the existing mounts.
I appreciate suggestions, recommendations, and lessons learned on how to best get her back in the water. I live in Greenville SC. If you know of some reputable restoration people I am also interested.

CarolinaPanther

Attachments

• P8070051 - Copy.jpg
    P8070051 - Copy.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P8070042.jpg
    P8070042.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 0
  • P8070035.jpg
    P8070035.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
  • P8070032.jpg
    P8070032.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0
  • P8070022.jpg
    P8070022.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: 1972 Restoration-Tired Fiberglass!

Hello Panther..and welcome to Iboats..

Man..you have there a Nice "used" boat ..

I dont see anything in your pics that would result in catastrophy..

"cracking sounds" sure is basis for delam..or not ( I just worked on a 1960 Chris Craft and the deck sounds the same way but its not comprimised structurally..and he just put 2 grand into repaint on his deck ).

Motor mounts are hard to tell seeing as they are painted black ?

One suggestion .. get your hands on a marine " Moisture meeter" and start looking for High levels of water.

Also get a small hammer and start "sounding" wherever you can reach. You should be able to tell where your bad spots are..and if you need to address those right now ( depending on location )

Basically "survey" your own boat .. unless you want to pay for it.

YD.

PS. I would rebed/recaulk everything you can... Properly ...

Thanks for the comments. Can you explain rebed and recaulk? I am new to this!

Should I drill 1/8" holes in stringers to check the moisture?

Thanks again...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the comments. Can you explain rebed and recaulk? I am new to this!

Should I drill 1/8" holes in stringers to check the moisture?

Thanks again...

Hello Carolina..

Rebed/recaulk mean to re-seal your hardware ( horn, snaps, cleats, rail etc. ). Where you can get to but you should inspect for hard to get hardware for looseness or signs of leaking..then you should take the time to get at them to re-seal.

You could drill ( seal up Real good afterwards ) its up to you .. but I still recommend the Meter reading if you can find one to borrow.

YD.

Re: 1975 Century Restoration-Tired Fiberglass!

Update

Turns out stringers are bad. I found a professional that gave me a price of $1800 dollars to remove the stringers down to the haul. Glass in and replace and install new floor (glassed). He also said he would glass in the motor mounts and reglass some intake pads. This included removing the v-drive

Are there any questions I should be asking? Materials? etc....

Any tips on measuring the exisitng motor mounts so they get back in the right locaiton?

Should I use SS lag bolts for the attaching the motor mounts?

Thanks....

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello Panther..

erm.. I would get a second opinion ( mabee even 2 more ) .. Dont tell them what the first " professional " found.

1800 bucks seems rather low to me m8..

If your in no rush to get it fixed then take your time on WHO and When the repair ( if actually needed ) is done.

YD.

The main stringers definitely needs replaced. I was unsure about the price and my first reaction was that it was low. My problem is I cant find many local professionals who do this type of work.

I will keep looking.

Below are the photos of the stringer removal, replacement, and glass in. Any comments?

I found that Century had drilled 1" holes in the stringers near the motor mounts. After all these years the foam degraded and the bildge water settled in the stringers.

Other than this area the wood and foam were in great shape.

Being new to this I welcome any comments or suggestions.

Attachments

• 115.jpg
    115.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 0
  • 118.jpg
    118.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 119.jpg
    119.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 0
  • 120.jpg
    120.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0

boatguy22352

Recruit

I would like to see some of his prior work. Flat rate to R&R motor is 10 hours alone, so he must be working for $5.00 per hour. Be careful you do not go to cheap and get a cheap job.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

OLD THREAD!!!
LAST Post was SEPT. 2010!!!!