Lowe Transom Replacement

Lowe Rider

Recruit
I recently aquired an older Lowe 1436 which I intend on modifying. The first bit of business I need to do is replace the transom (both the outside motor pad and the one that runs across the inside of the boat). My boat is equipped with two humps between the rear bench and stern that appear to be filled with foam. It appears that in order to replace the rotten wood, they need to be removed, as well as the aluminum rail that runs along the bottom of the transom. Does anyone have any recommendations of what would be the easiest way to remove the old transom and install a new one? Has anyone worked on this particular model?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lowe Transom Replacement

Pics will help us to help You!!!
See my signature on an easy way to post your pics

Lowe Rider

Recruit

Here are some pictures of the transom. Does anyone have experience replacing the transom on an older Lowe jon? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 2
  • loweboat.jpg
    loweboat.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 2

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Sorry Lowe Rider, didn't mean to take so long to get back atcha. Looks pretty straight forward. You will need to drill out the rivets to remove all the bracing etc. You will then need to remove all of the bolts etc. Try to SAVE the wood as best as possible so you can use it as a template for the NEW transom. It's hard to tell from the pics but your Corner caps appear to be Welded in place if so you may or may NOT have to cut them to get the transom out and back in. Not sure. You will have to determine that once you get the rivets and bolts out. Start getting everything removed as best you can and then post some more pics once everything is cleaned out. We can get a better perspective then.

Good luck with it.

I'm just sayin...:D