• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

No Smoking!!! 1969 Hydroswift Restore

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Smoking!!! 1969 Hydroswift Restore

I have finally found my project! I had started off really wanting a Starcraft, but they are few and far between here.
    I wanted to restore a boat because it seems to be an exciting adventure to me, and I need something to do because I quit smoking. Between the wife, kids, family, and friends, I was never cut any slack about my smoking.
    So I set out to quit and find out really how much quitting smoking pays (besides health reasons).
    I am going to keep track of money spent on this restore vs. money saved by not smoking. I will use this forum somewhat as an accountability to myself to stay smoke free, plus if I start back, the deal with the wife is the boat gets sold. Fair enough. On average I was paying $6.00 a pack per day so I will use that as my base for savings, although the last pack I bought ran me $7.57.

Smoke free Day 13
    Money Saved- $78.00

Project Boat- $300.00
    Total Savings so far- ($222.00)
    I know I am in the red as of right now, but I don't think it will take long to be in the black. I will keep track of every penny spent to see where I am at when we splash this thing.

So without further ado, here she is!
    1969 Hydroswift Riviera Hardtop o/b 18ft

She has not seen water since 1983, that was the last time she was registered. The boat came with no motor, has all the original gauges, missing a couple of windshield pieces. It is an all fiberglass construction in and out, so I don't know about stringers. It does have a wood transom that seems solid, but it has set out for years and is going to get replaced no matter what. I could use and would like any knowledge or tips on this boat if you have any.

Your boat may be new, but I'm not making payments every time I go to the lake!
    69' Hydroswift Hardtop 18' o/b
    My restoration thread:
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....30#post2848330
    89' Cajun Espirit 185 Travis edition
    88' Johnson GT 150
    sigpic

Re: No Smoking!!! 1969 Hydroswift Restore

Nice project, and more importantly, good luck on quitting. I use to light up when I was stressed...then work got bad and I got pneumonia pretty bad. Having a real pain in your lungs changes your perspective!

Dave
    http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...en-611338.html My Renken project
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=394027 My Thunderbird project (RIP)

Comment

That is sweet! Up here in the North - we don't need tops because 90 is a HOT day - but down South that hardtop is cool....

Good luck with the cigs - a worthy adventure -
      sigpicClark
      "Bare Naked Lady" 1968 Starcraft Holiday 18 w/ 130 Merc + Alpha One Transplant I/O.
      My Resto Thread
      http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....35#post2683135

Comment

GREAT decesion! One thing now is that any money you spend, you'll have something to show for it. What do you have to show for that $7.57 pack now? Been 5 years for me.
        1986 Century Riviera 6 Meter 350/260 Alpha 1

Comment

Great incentive to stop smoking. This Saturday will be 15 weeks for me. My incentive was the news from my wife that she is going to be giving a baby boy. After you add up all the money you spent on it (not to mention the tax increases to come), it definately makes you look at it as what a waste of money it was. Good luck on both and when one makes you wish you had the other - don't give in.
          Starcraft Chieftain V21 Sea Ray 210CC SXL

sigpic

Comment

Best of luck man, 30 year dipper, 13 weeks out...
            Work like a Captain but play like a Pirate

'91 Chris Craft 238 Concept Cuddy

Comment

It's official, the boat is home! After a little title scare, we are in the clear.
              I started prodding around on it a bit more and disassembling some of the trim pieces. I confirmed the transom is starting to rot. Since the floor is solid fiberglass and part of the cap, I will not know about the stringers until I pull the cap.
              I do have a question or two. There is no bilge area. I don't know if it is because of the solid fiberglass floor or just normal for this design. The drain plug is about a foot above the bottom of the V in the hull. Also approximately how heavy might this cap be?

Day 14 no smoking - $84.00 saved
              Project Total to date (Including boat) - $381.91
              Had to buy trailer lights and wire to make it legal to get home.
              Savings so far (297.91) in the hole
              My restoration thread:
              88' Johnson GT 150
              sigpic

Comment

I so just went and used your idea......made a deal with the devil (aka my wife) At least I will have some more money to put into our boat!!

Comment

Btw nice boat, have always wanted a hardtop but they are very hard to come by around here.

Comment

Originally posted by troutbum1982 View Post
                    I so just went and used your idea......made a deal with the devil (aka my wife) At least I will have some more money to put into our boat!!
                    LOL, I was amazed how easy the deal was made!
                    My restoration thread:
                    88' Johnson GT 150
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RobbyA View Post
                      LOL, I was amazed how easy the deal was made!
                      Same here.....she didnt even blink an eye

Comment

Got the rubrail rivets drilled out today and started separating the transom in order to pull the top half off. Got to build a lift system to separate the two halves, HD here I come.

Day 15 no smoking - $90.00 saved
                        Project Total to date (Including boat) - $381.91
                        Savings so far (291.91) in the hole
                        My restoration thread:
                        88' Johnson GT 150
                        sigpic

Comment

14 days of straight H-E-double hockey sticks weather, 100+ degree days, and I have accomplished nothing on the boat. I did manage to make a HD run and pick up some supplies to build my lift to separate the halves and remove the hull from the trailer. I also picked up a respirator and a few other safety items. Now if I could only get the temps in the 90's so I can build my lift and make progress. Next 7 days look bleak on the forecast.........
                          Anyway,
                          Day 21 no smoking - $126.00 saved
                          Project total to date ( including boat ) - $546.87
                          Savings so far ($420.87) in the hole.

As long as I don't buy anything and sit and wait for the weather to cool some at least my savings will increase!
                          My restoration thread:
                          88' Johnson GT 150
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by badkins50 View Post
                            Great incentive to stop smoking. This Saturday will be 15 weeks for me. My incentive was the news from my wife that she is going to be giving a baby boy. After you add up all the money you spent on it (not to mention the tax increases to come), it definately makes you look at it as what a waste of money it was. Good luck on both and when one makes you wish you had the other - don't give in.
                            Congrats on the Boy! Same incentive I used to stop dippin' snuff. That was over 16 years ago. I paid my piggie bank every day. After a year or so, I blew the cash on something, I don't remember what.

Robby, good looking boat! I'm just south of you and can't seem to make any progress on my Skeeter due to the heat. I'm just learning resin and am trying to figure out how to work it in this heat.
                            Me: "If they built this boat right, we wouldn't have to be doing all this extra work!" My son: "Dad, if they had, we wouldn't have this boat right now."

1986 Skeeter Starfire 90 Build
                            http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=413145

Comment

Originally posted by JAFO1 View Post
                              Congrats on the Boy! Same incentive I used to stop dippin' snuff. That was over 16 years ago. I paid my piggie bank every day. After a year or so, I blew the cash on something, I don't remember what.

Robby, good looking boat! I'm just south of you and can't seem to make any progress on my Skeeter due to the heat. I'm just learning resin and am trying to figure out how to work it in this heat.
                              Once you learn the resin, hop on up north a bit and teach me!!!!

I haven't got to the learning phase yet.
                              My restoration thread:
                              88' Johnson GT 150
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X