Alumacraft Transom Replacement

chadly

Cadet
Well after a whole lot of reading I decided to tear into the transom. All I can say is thanks, and I'm glad I started it. No doubt the 115 Merc would have been in the bottom of the lake in no time!! Only took 2.5 hrs to get it out. Here is my progress so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Wow!!!

Welcome to iboats. Nice work. What are you using for the new transom?

phantomv170

Seaman Apprentice

Did you have to cut the aluminum cap off the back?
If so, how will you put it back? Weld?
I am wondering as my boat has same thing and was wondering if I can cut it off.

chadly

Cadet

Did you have to cut the aluminum cap off the back?
If so, how will you put it back? Weld?
I am wondering as my boat has same thing and was wondering if I can cut it off.

I cut the cap most of the way and just bent it up. I will weld it back into place when done. Here is a picture you can see what i did.

9dde70ba.jpg

Chad,

Keep up the good work. Just a suggestion, you might want to retitle your thread so that other folks can track it a little better. Also can you give us some info on your boat (e.g. make, model, year, engine, etc.).

chadly

Cadet

Chad,

Keep up the good work. Just a suggestion, you might want to retitle your thread so that other folks can track it a little better. Also can you give us some info on your boat (e.g. make, model, year, engine, etc.).

Just filled in my sig and changed the title. Its a 1985 Alumacraft Trophy with a 115 Merc.

chadly

Cadet
Re: Alumacraft Transom Replacement

Some plywood cutting and a few tubes of pl400 later a new transom is born. Now time for some glassing!

Thanks. Keep up the good work. You will feel very good about the effort when you are finished. Nothing like doing it yourself.

chadly

Cadet

Transom is in and siliconed.....what a mess. All thats left is to put the engine back on.

[
The weld turned out pretty nice!

]

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Fair warning, I "sillyconed" mine the first time too about 2 months ago, used lots of it, and most of it that was below the waterline leaked including the transom drain tube. As most on this forum will say, use the 3m 4200 and 5200. It sealed mine up instantly.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, IMHO you NEVER use silicone anywhere NEAR a transom. Epoxy Peanut Butter, 3m 4200, 5200, Marine-Tex or similar but NEVER Silly-Cone.

I'm just Sayin...:D

Actually I don't like to use sillycone anywhere on a boat unless it is a specific application calling for it exclusively. I don't run into that very often. ;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm with you all the way. I have found very few uses for it on any boat.

I'm just sayin...:D

jonsara

Recruit

I would like to replace the transom on my 14ft alumacraft. I am also new to this site. Please let me know what you read and where. Any advice would be great. thanks John

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I would like to replace the transom on my 14ft alumacraft. I am also new to this site. Please let me know what you read and where. Any advice would be great. thanks John

Start your own thread and show us some pics of your transom and we will help.