SEM Vinyl Coat

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had this posted in the general section and didn't get any resposne. I was hoping there might be someone who could help shed some light on this product.

Has anyone used the following product on their vinyl?

http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=325

I am particularly interested in:
- how it has worked for you
- how long ago you applied it
- Have you had any adverse reactions (such as vinyl cracking after long term use)

I have some areas of my vinyl (particularly the darker blue vinyl) that has faded and started to discolor. 95% of my vinyl is in good condition and I don't want to have to replace everything. At the same time these small areas are really bugging me and I would like to repair them. I don't want to use a product that will cause the treated vinyl to crack or sunburn at an accelerated rate.

Here is a picture as an example of the affected area.

Attachments

• DSC01090ii.JPG
    DSC01090ii.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 0

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: SEM Vinyl Coat

Hello m8..

You could try the "majic eraser" ...

However if the pigment is totaly gone then you should contact your local vinyl expert.. he/she might be able to re-pigment and patch those small areas..

YD.

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Yacht Dr.!

I will try the majic eraser.

Was hoping someone might have feedback on this product or another that works well for painting vinyl.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I didn't reply earlier because you asked specifically about SEM Vinyl coat and I haven't use that specific product.

Having said that, I have used other vinyl dyes. On a old car I had many years ago I used the VHT product and it held up well. After some use it would wear through and I would give it a quick re-coat. It held well and never peeled, but as I said it would wear through the dyed layer and I would just re-coat. I'd say it took about 6 months of everyday use before it wore through.

I have also used a Rust-o-leum vinyl dye. Thiss one sucked. I used it on an off-road motorcycle seat and it would come off on my pants and discolor them. I wound up removing it with solvent at the risk of the entire seat cover and re-coating with a different product.

The product I re-coated the motorcycle seat with was Plasti-kote vinyl dye I got at my local autozone. The results with this stuff was similar to the VHT vinyl dye. It held up well but required re-coating after a while. Did not come off and discolor my pants though

Hope this helps.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Oh Yeah, I forgot to mention that I don't have eitther of these vehicles anymore, but I had the car for aboout 2 years after the application of the dye, and the motorcycle for about that same time period.

Edit: another thing I forgot to mention was that the car interior was white and I went to the complete other end of the spectrum to black. If you are dying the vinyl a similar color as the original color I would not expect the wear through to be as noticeable as it was on my car and you could probably go much longer between re-coats. With the use a boat gets I would expect years.

The product seems like it will work okay. I have use other similar products with good sucess. I would recommend the VHT Spray Dye mainly because it is a true dye and changes the color permantly. I have also used Duplicolor vinyl coating and it works pretty well also.

Give it a shot. I don't think that it will look worse. Problem is it may look so much better than the rest of the cushon that you may have to do the whole thing.

Let us know how you make out.

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all.

My main concern is I don't want to use anything that will accelerate the sun rot/deteriation process.

Will any of these make the Vinyl rot faster or make it crack in a season or two?

Thanks again!