Marine-Tex or 3M 5200?????

Coho Ghost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am replacing the brass drain tube thru my transom. I don't have the tool to put the swaged brass type tube in, so I have machined a brass tube with a flange to the outer transom side. I intend to simple bond the tube into the hole in the transom....

and the question is should I use Marine-Tex epoxy or 3M 5200? The tube will go thru a totally poly ester hole. There is .010" clearance for whatever bonding agent is used. The transom has a NIDA ceramic core. Ya' I know I should have changed out the tube when I poured the transom, I just couldn't tell how poor of condition the old tube was in, and of course it leaked after all the "agitation" of removing the old wood core.

I'm leaning toward the Marine-Tex, since I have some on hand.

What's the best way to go here? Thanks for the advice.

Coho Ghost,
Up in Washington state

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Marine-Tex or 3M 5200?????

The 5200 will give you a better bond and there is no chance of it cracking......5200 retains some flexing ability. You can find a small tube usually at Home Depot

Coho Ghost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. I'll hit HD for the 5200. Glad to hear it comes in smaller tubes. I really wasn't keen on opening a caulking gun size tube for the small amount I need.

Coho Ghost

Coho Ghost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have installed the brass tube with the 5200. Instructions said 7 days for cure!!!! Do I have to wait that long before I can splash the boat. Problem is I don't want to distrub the "set-up" of the 5200 installing and removing the drain plug. So is it the full 7 days or????

The tube was installed 7 hours ago, and the 5200 has not remotely started to skin over yet. Temp is 75+ and not high humidity.

Thanks,
Coho Ghost

Friscoboater

Captain

I used 5200 on my plug and yes it takes FOREVER to cure. I am impatient and would hit the lake anyway, but that is me. Make sure you have a good bilge pump :eek::eek::eek:

Coho Ghost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Frisco,

I just learned there is a "fast cure" version of 5200, which I of course DID NOT use. So to be safe I guess it's one week before I dare tighten the drain plug in the tube without disrupting the bond.

The fast cure is tack free in 2 hours and fully cured in 24!!! Sure would like to have used it.

Coho Ghost

fishrdan

Admiral

Moisture cures 5200 so place a moist towel over your part so it's in a very humid environment. Put a garbage bag over the towel to keep it moist. Don't let the 5200 and towel touch or it will make the surface look bad. If you have wiped all the excess 5200 off between the drain and fiberglass, just slap something wet on there and let it sit overnight.

When I apply 5200, I wipe the surfaces with a damp (not wet) cloth to get a bit of moisture on the surface, helps cure it faster. That or mist water on the surface with a very fine sprayer.