what is the strongest fairing putty

slogen

Seaman
i need to fair out a little hook on the bottom of my hull what is the strongest fairing putty and should i add fiber glass particles????

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: what is the strongest fairing putty

what is a little hook?

there is more to this question than fairing puttys.

what caused the hook?....was it the rollers on the trailer?.....that means that the flotation foam in your boat is wet and it has lost some of its anti crush.

however...
poly fair is a very good product. it is on the bottom of my hull. when going past the thickness that the manufacture reccomends, do a wrap of fiberglass over top of the putty.

i am assuming you are just doing trailer bunk "dips" in the hull.
if you are......chopped strand matt in sucessive layers will build the area you want and if applied properly will be as strong as steel.

the new fiberglass can be ground till flat then apply gellcoat in a standard gellcoat repair process.

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

by the way.......welcome to i boats :)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello Slogen..

I agree with Oops.. Glass it..

If its on the bottom then there is no such thing as "fairing putty" .

Why anyway..just grind and glass..fair and finish..

YD.

sasto

Captain

The strongest putty we ever made was using micro fibers and resin. If I remember correctly Poly Fair has the fibers in it. Must wear protection while mixing the stuff, as it will eat you up more than grinding fiberglass all day. It also can be mixed in with the jock itch powder of an uncooperative co-worker. I'm just saying.:D