ooops! varnish and oil question

Martian

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I screwed up.

Varnishing by bow mount motor deck.
somewhere between coats 2 and 4 of varnish I started using timber oil. The wood is baltic birch.

The oil made its way to covering some of the edge of the opposite side that had nothing on it.

So now I am not sure what to do. nce die will end up being carpet an the other no one will really see. Do I scrap the work and the good wood and start again? I have no idea what I should do.

help!!??

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: ooops! varnish and oil question

Hello Mars..

I kinda.. dont understand this question..

Did you put oil between varnish coats ( aye not good )

Did you put your oil afterwards ?

If you sealed your wood with Varnish then errr..you should be ok..

I dont really know what this "Timber oil" is so I can not say ..

YD.

Martian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah....varnish went first then the oil went second...timber oil is used for staining and protecting wood...it is supposed to soak in.

the unfinished side got a bit of oil right on the bare wood....ugh.

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah....varnish went first then the oil went second...timber oil is used for staining and protecting wood...it is supposed to soak in.

the unfinished side got a bit of oil right on the bare wood....ugh.
If the timber oil you used is what I've seen (never used the "timber" mixture), it says it's a combination of linseed and other dry oils like tung oil.

125.jpeg

Oils like this go on first to condition the wood - they're good at soaking deeply into the wood, which is just where you want them - they do not soak through a top coat.

If you do it the other way around there's no benefit to the wood and at best the oil acts like a floor wax coating sitting on top of the varnish. Some oil concoctions even rub off sealed surfaces making them messy to the touch.

Dry oils can be a stand-alone finish or get sealed with varnish top coats. If you got timber oil on bare wood, oil all the bare wood for an equal appearance, then follow the instructions to prep for top coating, and finally varnish over the oil. That part of the wood will turn out to be the best conditioned and protected side.

:)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Sorry m8..

Like you said..you screwed up :( ..

I recommend strip and reseal/varnish from scratch.. sorry m8...

YD.

PS. I am very feeling you.. sorry again..

Martian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks Dr. Yacht.

Turned out not to be such a huge deal....used teh belt sander to take off all stuff I put on and it worked out good.

If I had not put the stain on so thick I think it may have worked out.
As it was the stain would have been a bit sticky and not hardened up.

martian.