Awlgrip 545 Epoxy primer on Gel coat

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone know if these two don't work together? I was told by someone (not a painter) that Awlgrip primer doesn't stick to the boats gel coat. Is this a true fact?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Awlgrip 545 Epoxy primer on Gel coat

Hello wellcraft..

Um..that is incorrect..

545 epoxy primer will stick to ice cubes if properly prepped :)

That is the only primer I use for my full sprays.

YD.

PS. There is no primer that will stick if you dont prep it right. Gel or not.

Speakrdude

Ensign

It will absolutly stick very well! I recently completed a 28 footer with 545 primer and Awlgrip top coat. Used for two years afterwards. Still looks showroom new!

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes thanks alot guys that is what I thought but didn't want to argue with the guy. I have painted waverunners before using the Emron paint and I used some high build primer in some areas and it has been 5+ years since and no change in the paint work. I also painted my pickup truck so I do now about painting somewhat so was really puzzled when this guy said this.

Thanks again to you all.

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just another quick question on this primer, if the boat is prepped and primed can it go in the water before the topcoat is applied. Say if I primed the boat and ofcourse allow it to dry (couple of days to a week/weeks) can it go in the water before I topcoat it? I just wanted to cover up some gelcoat scratches and repairs with the primer first.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Just another quick question on this primer, if the boat is prepped and primed can it go in the water before the topcoat is applied. Say if I primed the boat and ofcourse allow it to dry (couple of days to a week/weeks) can it go in the water before I topcoat it? I just wanted to cover up some gelcoat scratches and repairs with the primer first.

That would not be a good idea.

Just think of all the Fuel/Oil/Bilge pump crap spashing and soaking into the repaired area.. Contamination on a very hard level m8.

You Should start and finish a "primed/painted" repair All in one continuous step ( to avoid as little contaminates as possible ). .. or dont start untill you have the time/materials to finish it.

So..basically NO I would not myself..

YD.

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you, I will just wait and do everything one time which is the best way.