Carpet adhesive?

chomamma

Seaman Apprentice
I am currently restoring a 2000 Bayline 1850lx. I was wondering if I would be ok using just a indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive or should I try and find a specific marine application carpet adhesive? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Carpet adhesive?

When I replaced my carpet this past spring, I did use marine carpet, and purchased a gallon of outdoor carpet adhesive from the local Home Depot. When I started though, I was putting too much on and some was bleeding through the carpet. I went with a grey carpet, so it was no big deal. Just giving you a little heads up because if you are going with a blue, red, or similar color carpet, it may look a little silly & **** you off pretty bad because you just ruined your new carpet. I hope this helps some!

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer

Why not use a snap down type marine carpet without adhesive?

marcortez

Petty Officer 1st Class

3M Extra strength spray adhesive.

Comes in a tall green can.

Home Depot.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Let me be the first....... "patching a couple of soft spots in the floor" is bad business. Band aid repairs are not long term and you need to find out WHY it is rotted and see what cancer is hiding below the deck.

Carpet adhesive is low on the priority list when it comes to deck repairs.

chomamma

Seaman Apprentice

Well to explain my situation a little better, one, this is my first boat and I got a smoking deal on it, so I don't really want to put 200+ hours into ripping the whole floor out and replacing it. I plan on fiberglassing over all of the new and existing wood to prevent mildew/rot. I'm also sealing all the new wood I'm putting in to prevent just that.

Two. I knew this was a temporary fix to begin with, but being my first boat, I figure this should last me at least three years and by then I will be settle down enough to sell the boat and buy something I won't have to work on.

Three. This patch i'm putting in is huge and covers about 65% of the floor sq. footage and I over cut past the weakend floor into good wood just to be sure I got rid of all what was left of the rotting floor.

Four. Reason it had rotted was the guy I bought it from was the original owner. He bought the boat new in 2000 for $18k took it out for about 4 times and let it sit ever since I bought it. I was lucky the motor wasn't hydro-locked. He had a cover on it until the dreaded bit#% of a hurricane came through (katrina) and tore it off. Ever since that he opted not to put a cover back on it so it was wide open to all elements. (This being the key reason why the floor rotted in the first place due to lack of maintenance and neglegence of proper storing). The motor has not even 8 hrs on it and I got the boat for about 3,000 dollars. So in my opinion it is worth the extra time and effort to just patch the holes for now and if I have to I'll turn around and sell the thing for 2x's that.

Let me be the first....... "patching a couple of soft spots in the floor" is bad business. Band aid repairs are not long term and you need to find out WHY it is rotted and see what cancer is hiding below the deck.

Carpet adhesive is low on the priority list when it comes to deck repairs.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

So, when you sell it to the next guy are you gunna explain in detail your temporary fix to him so he will KNOW what HE will have to deal with? If not then do an ethics check!

chomamma

Seaman Apprentice

Not trying to bash anyone here, but I joined the site not to get critsized on how I do my own repairs, but to get decent educated answers from knowledgable people who have may have been in the same boat (pardon the pun) as me. I only asked a simple question to get a simple answer not to get more questions of what/why I am going the road I'm on. The negative critisism is not needed nor wanted. Ty

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Oh so you come to us asking for help, we tell you that what you are doing is not advisable and WE are Wrong because YOU are a FIRST TIME BOAT OWNER and KNOW more than us. OK do it your Way.

The people on iBoats like to do things the RIGHT way. We have been down the road many times and our experiences have taught us that the quick and temporary fixes are NOT the way to go. Your post had a LOT of red flags that caused the replies you got. It is your Boat and you are free to do it your way just as we are free to point out when you are doing things that through experience have proven to be bad practice and highly unethical. You asked but did not like the answers Don't cry when experience tells you that you are doing it wrong.

chomamma

Seaman Apprentice

Ok so let's rephrase the question. I'm replacing the carpet in my boat. Any suggestions on what type of glue to use. :D Better?

edited: for "unethical" issues

Oh so you come to us asking for help, we tell you that what you are doing is not advisable and WE are Wrong because YOU are a FIRST TIME BOAT OWNER and KNOW more than us. OK do it your Way.

The people on iBoats like to do things the RIGHT way. We have been down the road many times and our experiences have taught us that the quick and temporary fixes are NOT the way to go. Your post had a LOT of red flags that caused the replies you got. It is your Boat and you are free to do it your way just as we are free to point out when you are doing things that through experience have proven to be bad practice and highly unethical. You asked but did not like the answers Don't cry when experience tells you that you are doing it wrong.

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

3M super 77 or super 99 is great used it to install indoor outdoor carpet on my cabin ceiling it works much better than outdoor glue.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yello..

I personally use the HD outdoor glue with the proper notched trowel and a good d-roller and a j roller for the corners and such.

YD.

PS. I dont know exactly who " we or us..or even our " is.. but "I" have been down the road many ... many times. :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well to explain my situation a little better, one, this is my first boat and I got a smoking deal on it, so I don't really want to put 200+ hours into ripping the whole floor out and replacing it. I plan on fiberglassing over all of the new and existing wood to prevent mildew/rot. I'm also sealing all the new wood I'm putting in to prevent just that.

I do not think sealing the deck will cure the problem and may increase the problem

Two. I knew this was a temporary fix to begin with, but being my first boat, I figure this should last me at least three years and by then I will be settle down enough to sell the boat and buy something I won't have to work on.

Three. This patch i'm putting in is huge and covers about 65% of the floor sq. footage and I over cut past the weakend floor into good wood just to be sure I got rid of all what was left of the rotting floor.

Dang it's called a deck! I am not worried about the deck but more along the lines of what lies beneath the decking....wet foam or other rotting pieces.

Four. Reason it had rotted was the guy I bought it from was the original owner. He bought the boat new in 2000 for $18k took it out for about 4 times and let it sit ever since I bought it. I was lucky the motor wasn't hydro-locked. He had a cover on it until the dreaded bit#% of a hurricane came through (katrina) and tore it off. Ever since that he opted not to put a cover back on it so it was wide open to all elements. (This being the key reason why the floor rotted in the first place due to lack of maintenance and neglegence of proper storing). The motor has not even 8 hrs on it and I got the boat for about 3,000 dollars. So in my opinion it is worth the extra time and effort to just patch the holes for now and if I have to I'll turn around and sell the thing for 2x's that.

So, five years since the boat was battered by the dreaded hurricane Katrina and it has been sitting open since then...... Did you know that wood decks rot from the inside out? Regardless of the great deal the main concern here was based on safety. I have been boating for some time and do not profess to know everything but collectively we have a great deal of knowledge of experience here.