1987 Thundercraft Citation 170 18' Ski Boat

coolguy982

Cadet
I bought my first boat a couple months ago. I wasn't planning on buying a boat, but I ran across it while browsing craigslist. It looked like it was in good shape and the price was right--you know how it goes!

It is a 1987 (according to the registration) but the serial number says 1988. Must have been an end-of-year model. It has a 4.3L 170HP engine with an OMC Cobra outdrive. I'm the third owner and the other two took pretty good care of it. It was stored in a garage nearly all of its life when not being used and over the past five years it was only taken out on the lake a handful of times each summer. I've been learning about boats as I go, and I've had to do some work on the boat. Unfortunately I didn't take any "before" pictures, but here's what the boat looks like today.

It's been a very wet summer in Kansas and the lake closest to me is 14' above normal levels and many of the boat ramps are closed or submerged. Thus, we've only had the boat out a few times this summer. When it has been on the water, it purrs and rides pretty nice. I've had it up to 45-50mph.

If you have any Thundercraft or OMC tips, send them my way. I have a PDF manual for the outdrive which has helped quite a bit, but as I said before--I'm learning as I go! I have about $3,000 invested in the boat after the sale price and a few minor repairs I had to make. Hopefully I got a good deal!

Here are some pics and some commentary on what I've done to the boat so far.

First project was rewiring the trailer lights. Not too hard.

IMG_2735.JPG

The boat sat in the water at a private dock sometimes during the summer and the water was very "calcium-rich". When I got the boat, there was a calcium line about halfway up all around the boat. After several hours of elbow grease and a large bottle of ZAP, I was able to get most of it off--at least on the sides and back. It's hard to get the calcium off the underside of the boat. The blue paint was also very oxidized, so I had to buff that out quite a bit and it eventually brought back the shine. I still have some more buffing to do. Also need to replace the carpet on the trailer bunks.

IMG_2742.JPG

I stained the wood with deck stain. It helped quite a bit, but I think I'm going to go back over the wood with teak oil either in the fall or winter.

IMG_2740.JPG

Engine looks almost like new. Only thing I've done on it so far is adjust the throttle and clean the flame arrestor.

IMG_2739.JPG

Another culprit of the boat sitting in the water--paint gone on the outdrive. I'm going to repaint it in the fall/winter as well. Hopefully I can do this without removing the outdrive.

After owning the boat for about a month, I found that water was getting into the outdrive gear lube. I took it into a shop and had it pressure tested. Luckily the leak appeared to only be at the prop shaft seal. Had these seals replaced and so far so good.

IMG_2741.JPG

continued in next post...

coolguy982

Cadet
Re: 1987 Thundercraft Citation 170 18' Ski Boat

Upholstery is in pretty good shape. You can tell it is aged, but I don't think any of it needs replacing--yet. I did have to replace the plywood in one of the front bench seats since it was rotten.

IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2737.JPG

Has a bench seat in the back. The engine compartment cover struts were shot so I had to replace those.

IMG_2738.JPG

Floor is in good shape. Some carpet is coming up in small spots in the front area. Doesn't look like a problem yet.

IMG_2744.jpg

Had a problem getting the boat to cold start until a fellow iBoater helped me realize that I can adjust the throttle without putting it in gear by pulling the entire throttle lever to the left (there isn't a standard button on the throttle to disengage the gears).

The boat is wired for a depth finder with a bracket on top of the dash and has a transducer mounted on the back. I'm currently trying to find a (cheap) depth finder that will fit the connections. Not sure if the connections are the standard type or if they're too old.

IMG_2743.JPG

continued in next post...

coolguy982

Cadet

It has an old AM/FM radio mounted in the glove box. It works but cuts out with any slight bump. This problem seems to be with the radio itself and not an electrical short. I'll have to replace the radio eventually.

IMG_2746.JPG

The two speakers are mounted in the back on either side of the boat just in front of the bench seat. The sound isn't bad.

IMG_2747.JPG

That's the nickel tour. I'll try to post more updates as I have them!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

coolguy982,
It might be a 87 but it looks just like the 88 I just bought last week. Everything is the same speaker locations, seats, gages and everything.
The only difference I can see is OMC vs my Mercruiser.
I bought mine as a donor boat. I wanted the 4.3L for my other project.
Nice Boat and good luck.
Bob

md-lucky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking good!!

Everyone will tell you to avoid Thundercraft, and especially OMC... But I gotta tell you, I've had FAR fewer problems with my old boat than any of the folks we boat with.. And they all have Bayliners that are 8-9 years newer. I just couldn't be happier with my old Thundercraft. I've spent a lot of time getting it cleaned up and in working condition again, but I still think it was a great investment.

Those are some awsome pictures. I'd much prefer the bench seat you have over the dog house setup that I've got.

I also think 88 is more likely. You're dash looks completely different than mine! Here is a pic of mine for reference.. Maybe they are just 2 very different models.. Who knows!

Image009.jpg

fauxmeister

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice lookin boat Coolguy! Where are you in Kansas?

coolguy982

Cadet

Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to guess it's actually an '88 as well, especially since the serial number says "88". I'm not sure how/why the registration says '87, but I've seen other '87 Thundercrafts on these forums and in person and the interior looks quite different. Again, maybe it was a late-year model or something.

I'm located in central KS and we do our boating on Milford Lake. We've had so much rain this year that Milford has been 12-15 ft above normal levels the past month, making ramps inaccessible and boating treacherous!

B_M_I_77

Recruit

Hey Everyone...

Brand new guy here, and brand new boater in general. I just bought a boat identical to the one pictured here, except I have seats on either side of the engine compartment, not a bench. Everything else is the same, even the colors! Mine has a 4.3L Mercruiser, and as for the model, instead of being a "170", it has "177" on the side.

Anyway, you guys seem like pros on Thundercrafts, wondering if you can fill in some info for me. The guy I bought it from had just completely rebuilt the engine, and gave me a 1yr warranty on it. He says it runs at 190hp, is this correct? Also, how big is the fuel tank? I have been out on the like twice and have noticed that it's a pig on gas!

I wish there was a place to get an old manual for boats like this, but all I could find is engine manuals. Hope your collective knowledge can help, this site seems great!!! Glad to be here!

PS.. Will post pics when I figure out how...