Floor Project - 1992 Sea Ray 180 Runabout

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Floor Project - 1992 Sea Ray 180 Runabout

Is the foam beneath the deck for both flotation and structure or just for flotation? I'm debating on picking up a "pink" foam board from Home Depot and placing it in the bottom sides and then using the AeroMarine two part expanding foam to cover the pink foam. Thoughts?? If it is for structure should I use 4# or 8# two part expanding foam vs 2#?

Here is what I found at AeroMarine:
"Q. Is this foam compatible with styrofoam?
A. Yes - it will not "eat" or dissolve styrofoam. If you have a large cavity to fill, it can be worthwhile to put some chunks of styrofoam in the cavity to save foam."

I'm curious if the pink foam will be good enough if the foam is used for structural purposes.

Thanks,

Jerry

Last edited:

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jerry,

Check out the link to friscoboaters thread (post 968) that I posted in a previous reply. He used the pink foam board on the sides of his boat and then covered that with the expanding pour in foam. Thanks, Steven

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

On a SeaRay, I highly doubt the foam is structural. The sheet foam you're considering is a great alternative.

FlattopXXX

Recruit

new to the board and beginning the same repairs that you fellow Sea Ray owners are doing. '89 Sea Ray 200 BR. Jerrybosard your 180 is the first Sea Ray I've seen in the older models that has the same interior lay out as mine. Mine also has two captains chairs with the bench seat across back with built in storage/coller underneath. Very large sun pad on top. The layout and room of this boat is the only reason I am going to attempt a restoration. I am looking for some pics of how the floor section over the gas tank is supposed to be supported. Mine was rigged together and I would like to know the right way to put it back.

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

On a SeaRay, I highly doubt the foam is structural. The sheet foam you're considering is a great alternative.

Ezmobee,

Thanks for the confirmation on the foam. I've had another marine mech say that it gives more rigidity for the hull and floor, but mostly for flotation and not necessarily for structure.

Thanks for the info!

Jerry

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

new to the board and beginning the same repairs that you fellow Sea Ray owners are doing. '89 Sea Ray 200 BR. Jerrybosard your 180 is the first Sea Ray I've seen in the older models that has the same interior lay out as mine. Mine also has two captains chairs with the bench seat across back with built in storage/coller underneath. Very large sun pad on top. The layout and room of this boat is the only reason I am going to attempt a restoration. I am looking for some pics of how the floor section over the gas tank is supposed to be supported. Mine was rigged together and I would like to know the right way to put it back.

FlattopXXX,

The only reason why I bought the boat was because of the seating. My wife just loves the layout deck area and plenty of seating for everyone. It's very hard to find this style of seating when looking for used boats, in my opinion it seems to have more flexibility.
I'd be glad to get you some more pics on how the gas/floor should look. I have not taken the stingers out yet, so I can put the gas floor top back on to give you an idea. Your gas tank should be a rectangle with notches out of the sides. Those notches will be filled with a custom made piece of wood used to secure it to the stingers. I can try and get you some measurements if you would like as well.

Thanks,

Jerry

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

All I can say is ... holy crap; there's a lot of foam in here!

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

Foam... foam... and more foam.

Attachments

• P7090039.jpg
    P7090039.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 5

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

I am looking for some pics of how the floor section over the gas tank is supposed to be supported. Mine was rigged together and I would like to know the right way to put it back.

Flattop,

Here are some pictures of the gas tank area with the top cover. I'll give more pictures when I put it back together, but this is what I have. I measured the hole in the floor using inside measurements it is 51" x 21.5".

Thanks,
Jerry

Attachments

• gas tank hole.jpg
    gas tank hole.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 5
  • gas tank cover top.jpg
    gas tank cover top.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 5
  • gas tank cover in boat.jpg
    gas tank cover in boat.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 5
  • Gas tank cover bottom.jpg
    Gas tank cover bottom.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 5

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

More gas tank pics. Support piece of wood that fits down on the sides and the L bracket that holds down the custom support piece on the sides.

Attachments

• gas tank wood support.JPG
    gas tank wood support.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 3
  • gas tank L bracket.jpg
    gas tank L bracket.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 3

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

All I can say is ... holy crap; there's a lot of foam in here!

Jerry,

I am with you on the foam. I didn't think I would ever get to the end it. I used a small hand saw to cut it into small chuncks. I really need to get off my butt and finish getting the outdrive stuff off of mine. Procrastination is setting in with the heat and skeeters. Thanks, Steven

pmtom1

Seaman

I feel your pain guys.... Im about 3/4 through my foam. The heat and humidity makes its really tough. Greatest thing in the world when a nice big chunk comes out, isnt it?

Keep plugging!

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

Jerry,

I am with you on the foam. I didn't think I would ever get to the end it. I used a small hand saw to cut it into small chuncks. I really need to get off my butt and finish getting the outdrive stuff off of mine. Procrastination is setting in with the heat and skeeters. Thanks, Steven

Steven,

I also found the a drywall saw and a small wood hand saw with the use of pry bars did the trick. I only have one side of the engine compartment left. Then I will be removing the stingers and sanding/cleaning the heck out of it before I put stingers back in.

Thanks,

Jerry

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

I feel your pain guys.... Im about 3/4 through my foam. The heat and humidity makes its really tough. Greatest thing in the world when a nice big chunk comes out, isnt it?

Keep plugging!

I agree... the heat and humidity does not help. I've decided to take this evening and buy supplies vs working on the boat. Today we are expecting mid 90's with heat index into the 110 range and humidity reaching over 85%.

Jerry

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

Ok... for the past 4 days I have been working on putting in the stingers, fiberglassing the stingers in place, using pink 2" foam from Home Depot, pouring expandable foam, setting the driver and passenger seats and starting on the deck for the drivers side. I'll be posting pictures tomorrow.

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

Ok. Sorry for the delay on a couple more pictures. Here we are fiberglassing in the stingers and you will also see we poured foam in place and have leveled it off with a hand saw. I used some pink foam from HD to use as filler with the pourable foam. It worked well, but it is more difficult to cut when leveling the top. I would suggest in not having any pink foam exposed.

You will also see that we decided to work in hot temps... 94 degrees but the heat index was at 110 degrees. Let just say, I would not suggest working in that heat again.

You can also see I have put in the bolts for the two captain chairs. I decided to use pure resin on the bottom side of the chair supports to hold in the bolts from falling into the foam and/or the head rotating when securing down the chairs.

Thanks,

Jerry

Attachments

• P7160077_2.jpg
    P7160077_2.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 6
  • P7170079_2.jpg
    P7170079_2.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 6
  • P7170082_2.jpg
    P7170082_2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 6

jiffyboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

personally I don't like carpet in boats , I prefer to put new treated plywood , fiberglass and a good coat of gel coat to reseal the floor, and avoid water intrusion, carpet always keep moisture, dirt, grease, and all kind of things, specially if you like fishing, a gel coated deck is easy to clean, and maintain and always keeps dry if you have the boat tilted what make the deck last longer...using a boat cover is definably a good option, because also protect the seats, cushions and the the deck...i have been doing decks for a long time, never used carpet

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Great work in the stringers and foam. I think mixing the pourable and the sheet foam is a very good idea.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here is a project that may help some of you out. 95 Monterey 210 deck/stringer replacement. Ripped out the old carpet, put down a new deck/fiberglass and then Gel Coated it. Put removable carpet in by www.corinthianmarine.com . Been nothing shy of fantastic so far. The boat is is in far better shape now than it was brand new.

Here is a link to all of the pictures I took throughout the project.
http://s529.photobucket.com/albums/dd334/DMSH2/Boat Project/

Here are a few Random ones of the Gel Coated Deck and carpet:The first one is obviously when the deck was going back in. But something you might want to seriously consider is putting drain holes at the base of your stringers, so that in the event that water does make its way outside of them (which it will) the water can make its way to the bilge. You can see I also left a channel between the stringer and foam for the water to run.
SSPX0807.jpg

finalGelCoat003.jpg

Finished003.jpg

newcarpet10.jpg

newcarpet5.jpg

newcarpet7.jpg

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

personally I don't like carpet in boats , I prefer to put new treated plywood , fiberglass and a good coat of gel coat to reseal the floor, and avoid water intrusion, carpet always keep moisture, dirt, grease, and all kind of things, specially if you like fishing, a gel coated deck is easy to clean, and maintain and always keeps dry if you have the boat tilted what make the deck last longer...using a boat cover is definably a good option, because also protect the seats, cushions and the the deck...i have been doing decks for a long time, never used carpet

I agree about the carpet... I'll never put carpet back in a boat unless I can remove it. I do have a cover for the boat and it does get pulled out of the water and tilted up a bit when it is parked. I'm planning on using the textured product called Durabak-18. Once I have glassed in all areas that need it I will be cleaning the deck and rolling on the product. I'm not a fan of using treated lumber because of the new chemicals used in the wood. It can rust/destroy different types of metals and I'm not willing to take that chance. Hopefully you have good luck with the treated lumber.

Thanks,

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.