• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Floor Project - 1992 Sea Ray 180 Runabout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Floor Project - 1992 Sea Ray 180 Runabout

Steven,

Thanks for the heads up about the transom and the circular saw. I'll be looking at the transom later this afternoon. As you can see from my pics I've not made it to the engine compartment just yet, but will be there by hopefully end of day on Friday.

What was the size of your original stingers? I have not officially measured mine yet, but they appear to be either a 1 x 8 or something close to that. It also appears the wood may have been plywood and not a 1 x anything. Just curious if you knew what your originals were.

Do you know what size of stingers you'll use as replacements... 1 x 6, 1 x 8 or plywood? Do you plan on using treated lumber or regular lumber and then glass over for the stingers?

Did you decide to replace your transom? If so, what did you use for wood? Do you have any more pics of your transom?

Is it possible to use treated lumber and not glass in the stingers? My local marine shop said they used MDO board for the replacement floor so did does not need to be glassed? Any opinions on the MDO would be great.

Thanks,

Jerry

Comment

Rodney,

I hope you plan on spending quite a few hours/days with your boat to repair the floor. It may look easy... but I kid you not... it is work. I would suggest finding out what your local marine shop would charge you to repair it and ask how long it would take. Once they give you a time frame you'll want to add about 2 to 3 weeks to it, unless you have 2 weeks of full days to work on it.

There are a lot of helpful hints from other restoration threads, the main thing is to be patient; one wrong move can send the saw through the hull and then you just have a whole new problem. The tools mention by myself and Steven (69rrvert) are good suggestions and will make thing go a bit smoother. I would also suggest finding a long 2 x 4 and a 18" to 36" pry bar to help with the foam removal. Even with the foam cut, it can still be a pain because of the extra weight from the water log and it may have also bonded with the glass. It should not have bonded to the hull but definitely to the stingers and other wood areas.

You'll obviously have to replace the carpet and I would suggest looking at prices online. I'm not sure how much you will need but there may be some other threads to help with the amount of carpet needed.

I'll be updating this thread as time continues and also be sure to check out others.

Thanks,

Jerry

Comment

What was the size of your original stingers?
        As best I can tell, they were 3/4" plywood. I am still undecided what to go back with because I will have to splice the plywood if I use it. Whatever I decide, it will probably be marine grade and fiberglassed.

Did you decide to replace your transom? If so, what did you use for wood? Do you have any more pics of your transom?
        I have not made it the transom yet. I still need to get the inner and outer gimble houseing off and mother nature is not allowing that right now. Nothing but rain past few days and the forecast for the weekend is no better. I will use 2 peices of 3/4" marine ply laminated together for the transom and glass it in.

Is it possible to use treated lumber and not glass in the stingers?
        If you are planning to keep the boat, I would not take the chance of not glassing them. I plan on this being a one shot job and will definately glass over the stringers. Scan through the thread that Ooops has going on his rebuild and also the rebuild thread that friscoboater has on his boat. They both good threads with a ton of priceless information in that thread. Here is the link to the threads. Thanks, Steven

Ooops rebuild thread:
        http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

Friscoboater's rebuild thread:
        http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=358277
        1987 All Weld flats boat w/115 Evinrude
        1993 Sea Ray 200BR (in pieces)
        1969 Plymouth Road Runner convertible

1993 Sea Ray 200 BR rebuild thread:
        http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=394334

sigpic

Steven

Comment

I called a fiberglass shop and got a rough estimate on mine. They told me around $4500.00 for a turn key transon, stringer, and floor replacement. As for the carpet, there is no way that I will go back with it. My opinion is that all carpet is good for is holding moisture in the floor. Bad idea in my opinion. I'll probably glass mine in and then coat with something like friscobaoter did his. I may use a snap in carpet but nothing perminent. Thanks, Steven

sigpic

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by 69rrvert View Post
            I called a fiberglass shop and got a rough estimate on mine. They told me around $4500.00 for a turn key transon, stringer, and floor replacement. As for the carpet, there is no way that I will go back with it. My opinion is that all carpet is good for is holding moisture in the floor. Bad idea in my opinion. I'll probably glass mine in and then coat with something like friscobaoter did his. I may use a snap in carpet but nothing perminent. Thanks, Steven
            Steven,

Hmmm... Now I'm really debating about the carpet idea on the deck. I'll have to put carpet in for the back seat, side pocket area and the bottom area by the front seats. I've ripped out all the carpet in the boat. So either way I'll have to put carpet in... but I've definitely got something to think about.

Thanks for the opinion.

Jerry

Comment

Is the foam beneath the deck for both flotation and structure or just for flotation? I'm debating on picking up a "pink" foam board from Home Depot and placing it in the bottom sides and then using the AeroMarine two part expanding foam to cover the pink foam. Thoughts?? If it is for structure should I use 4# or 8# two part expanding foam vs 2#?

Here is what I found at AeroMarine:
              "Q. Is this foam compatible with styrofoam?
              A. Yes - it will not "eat" or dissolve styrofoam. If you have a large cavity to fill, it can be worthwhile to put some chunks of styrofoam in the cavity to save foam."

I'm curious if the pink foam will be good enough if the foam is used for structural purposes.

Thanks,

Jerry
              Last edited by jerrybossard; July 9th, 2010, 02:19 AM. Reason: missed a word.

Comment

Jerry,

Check out the link to friscoboaters thread (post 968) that I posted in a previous reply. He used the pink foam board on the sides of his boat and then covered that with the expanding pour in foam. Thanks, Steven

sigpic

Steven

Comment

On a SeaRay, I highly doubt the foam is structural. The sheet foam you're considering is a great alternative.
                  1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
                  Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767
                  1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
                  Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338633 sold

Comment

new to the board and beginning the same repairs that you fellow Sea Ray owners are doing. '89 Sea Ray 200 BR. Jerrybosard your 180 is the first Sea Ray I've seen in the older models that has the same interior lay out as mine. Mine also has two captains chairs with the bench seat across back with built in storage/coller underneath. Very large sun pad on top. The layout and room of this boat is the only reason I am going to attempt a restoration. I am looking for some pics of how the floor section over the gas tank is supposed to be supported. Mine was rigged together and I would like to know the right way to put it back.

Comment

Originally posted by ezmobee View Post
                      On a SeaRay, I highly doubt the foam is structural. The sheet foam you're considering is a great alternative.
                      Ezmobee,

Thanks for the confirmation on the foam. I've had another marine mech say that it gives more rigidity for the hull and floor, but mostly for flotation and not necessarily for structure.

Thanks for the info!

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by FlattopXXX View Post
                        new to the board and beginning the same repairs that you fellow Sea Ray owners are doing. '89 Sea Ray 200 BR. Jerrybosard your 180 is the first Sea Ray I've seen in the older models that has the same interior lay out as mine. Mine also has two captains chairs with the bench seat across back with built in storage/coller underneath. Very large sun pad on top. The layout and room of this boat is the only reason I am going to attempt a restoration. I am looking for some pics of how the floor section over the gas tank is supposed to be supported. Mine was rigged together and I would like to know the right way to put it back.
                        FlattopXXX,

The only reason why I bought the boat was because of the seating. My wife just loves the layout deck area and plenty of seating for everyone. It's very hard to find this style of seating when looking for used boats, in my opinion it seems to have more flexibility.
                        I'd be glad to get you some more pics on how the gas/floor should look. I have not taken the stingers out yet, so I can put the gas floor top back on to give you an idea. Your gas tank should be a rectangle with notches out of the sides. Those notches will be filled with a custom made piece of wood used to secure it to the stingers. I can try and get you some measurements if you would like as well.

Thanks,

Jerry

Comment

All I can say is ... holy crap; there's a lot of foam in here!

Comment

Foam... foam... and more foam.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by FlattopXXX View Post
                              I am looking for some pics of how the floor section over the gas tank is supposed to be supported. Mine was rigged together and I would like to know the right way to put it back.
                              Flattop,

Here are some pictures of the gas tank area with the top cover. I'll give more pictures when I put it back together, but this is what I have. I measured the hole in the floor using inside measurements it is 51" x 21.5".

Thanks,
                              Jerry
                              Attached Files

Comment

More gas tank pics. Support piece of wood that fits down on the sides and the L bracket that holds down the custom support piece on the sides.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X