• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floor Project - 1992 Sea Ray 180 Runabout

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor Project - 1992 Sea Ray 180 Runabout

1992 Sea Ray 180 Runabout Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha One GenII

Project: Replace floor due to rotten wood and water logged foam.

My wife really likes the boat, so that is why I am fixing it. We intend to keep the boat for quite awhile since this is our first boat.

I purchased this boat earlier this spring with knowing the floor needed to be replaced. I have already repaired the lower unit and put new bellows on the back. I have had the boat on the water multiple times, but I kept finding more and bigger soft spots as the past few months have gone by, so I decided with the high water and most of the rams are closed in my area I would start on the floor.

I've just begun the process of removing the carpet and started cutting away on the floor to remove the foam.

I'll probably have some questions as I continue, but for now I'm just working to get the floor out.

Opinion Question: I'll probably put carpet back in, but my wife and I are undecided on carpet color between (dark gray, light gray or red). We have red accent color throughout the boat (pin stripe on sides and seat cushions). Carpet color was a medium gray color.

Re: Floor Project - 1992 Sea Ray 180 Runabout

Welcome to the forums. I am knee deep in my '93 Sea Ray 200BR with what started as a floor and front stringer repair and turned into a complete rebuild (floor, stringers, and transom). When you start cutting out the wood, the best tools that I have used on mine is a sawz-all (reciprcating saw), 3" Craftsman circular saw, and a Dremel Multi Max tool. Also, be sure to get a good half face cartridge respirator, Tyvek cover-alls, and safety glasses. You can see the Dremel at work in the link in my sig. If nothing else, at least get a sawz-all. I hope that everything goes well and you can get by with just the floor. If you are able to, would you mid posting some good pics of the engine compartment and how it is laid out. All of that was missing when I bought mine. Thanks, Steven
    1987 All Weld flats boat w/115 Evinrude
    1993 Sea Ray 200BR (in pieces)
    1969 Plymouth Road Runner convertible

1993 Sea Ray 200 BR rebuild thread:
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=394334

sigpic

Steven

Comment

Steven,

Thanks for the welcome and information about the tools. I am currently using a circular saw and a sawz-all for removal. I also found that using a hand dry wall saw works great for taking the foam out in chunks.

My father and I repaired the floor on his 1970's 18' tri-hull boat (brand unknown) about 15 years ago, so the memories of safety and tools are coming back to me. :-)

I'd be glad to put up some more pictures for you of the engine area as I have not started in that area yet. I'll be able to get those pictures taken later this afternoon and put up this evening. I can probably get you some basic dimensions of the area.

The transom looks to be in good shape and the motor works fairly well, but it tends to to idle a bit on the low RPM side and then it dies. If RPMs are below 600 when idling its just a matter of time for it to kill itself, so I'll look at the carb and try some engine cleaner. I may also bump up the idle RPM to 700 to 800, but not exceed 800.

Thanks,

Jerry

Comment

I'm finding the high water to be a big PITA here in Iowa as well but like you, I'm using the time away from the water to get some stuff done. Good luck with your project!
        sigpic
        I'd much rather be in a tree or on the water, bow or rod in hand, than what I'm doing now!!

Starcraft Jupiter runabout to bowrider conversion. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=413403

Comment

As a previous owner of navy carpet in my last boat....let me cast my vote for light gray as your new carpet color. Will hide dirt MUCH better than your other choices. My navy carpet was a nightmare. I went with marine vinyl on my current boat.
          1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
          Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767
          1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
          Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338633 sold

Comment

ezmobee,

Thanks for the vote! I appreciate it very much.

Jerry

Comment

-DannyBoy- Thanks! I hope you get your projects done as well.

Comment

Steven,

Here are some links to pictures of the engine compartment. I have the two swivel captain chairs with the bench seating in back for my boat's seating arrangement. I folded back the top laying bench / deck so you could see the entire compartment area.

Full Quality pics can be found at
                http://www.jkboss.us/boat/pics/floor...mpartment.html

It is a very basic page, but the pictures are great. The site may be a bit slow so please be patient. :-)
                Last edited by jerrybossard; July 7th, 2010, 04:41 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the link in.

Comment

Here are the pictures of the engine compartment if the link is too slow for you.

Comment

Here is the second set of pictures for the engine compartment. Hope those help.

Thanks,

Jerry

Comment

Another great tool that I've used to get all the rot out is the Harbor Frieght Multi-purpose tool($35) with the 3/4 round blade. It gets in tight spots that nothing else can get to.
                      The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work.

Comment

WingedWheel,

Thanks for the information.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

Thanks for the pics of the engine compartment. That kinda gives me an idea of what to do when I go back together with the interior. It will all have to be from scratch. As for your boat, take a good look at the wood in the transom between the outer gel coat and inner layer of glass and make sure it is not on its way out the hole. All of the screw holes that the factory used to secure things to the floor, are all avenues for water to get under the floor and outside of the stringers. Also, be sure to check your stringers good as well. There are screws that secure the fuel tank brackets there also. If you have any questions as to what the interior structure of your boat looks like, let me know or check my rebuild link in my sig. Here are some pics from my boat that you will want to check real good. Mine is a 1993 Sea Ray 200BR. Thanks, Steven

Starboard transom under floor. There is no glass or anything over this wood and it is rotten:

This is where the unprotected wood is located. Look at the area at back of boat next to stringer. Same pic as above:

Starboard side of the gimble housing between the outer transom gel coat and the inner transom fiberglass where the exhaust exits (inside the red lines). The wood is almost dust:

Port side of the gimble housing between the outer transom gel coat and the inner transom fiberglass where the exhaust exits (inside the red lines). This wood is almost dust:

sigpic

Steven

Comment

This is the circular saw that I am using. Works good when making shallow/delicate cuts. Thanks, Steven

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...2_00910872000P

sigpic

Steven

Comment

As the new owner of a 1989 Sea Ray 180, I am also getting ready to undertake this same project. It seems that my floors are all soft and I am finding several pieces of rotten wood in the bilge each time I take it out.

Please keep us informed (lots of pictures) as your renovation progresses. I need all of the help that I can get. Any helping hints that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Rodney

Comment

Working...
                              X