Gluvit or 5200 for sealing rivets & seams in aluminum hull?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've begun removing loose original rivets and replacement pop rivets in my 1960 Crestliner Flying Crest. I'm going to hand buck in new solid rivets in most spots and maybe use a few screws to pull things together in a couple of places. After doing extensive reading in this forum and elsewhere, I'm wondering about the pros and cons of using either 3M 5200 sealant or Gluvit epoxy to seal up seams when I'm done. The paint on the outside of the hull is in pretty decent shape, so I'd prefer to do most of the sealing on the inside if possible.

I've never used either product, but am hoping I won't need to buy both. They're expensive! Here's my evaluation of each, although I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has done similar repairs with either one.

GLUVIT
Pros - can be brushed on and might flow into seams; hard but flexible seal; may enhance structural strength(?)
Cons - has to be mixed; needs to be applied to bare metal; must be painted where exposed to sunlight; 2 coats recommended

3M 5200 Sealant
Pros - can apply as much as needed at a time; can (must?) be applied over paint; can be shaped with putty knife; single application required; could dab onto rivets or screws when installing; doesn't need to be painted
Cons - won't flow into seams; slower application; bare metal needs to be primed

Thanks!

KermieB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Gluvit or 5200 for sealing rivets & seams in aluminum hull?

I don't know why you don't think 5200 won't flow into seams. If it's warm, it'll work fine, but you MUST MUST MUST make sure it has a good clean surface. It can't stick to old silicone, grease, or dirt.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Gluvit is designed for the aluminum boats. You can peel away 3m5200 when it's dry.....

I would not re-invent the wheel and I would use gluvit. Mixing it is not tough ......just like mixing anything else.

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i used both gluvit and 5200. i use closed end rivets on the hull with 5200 on them and then gluvits on the inside. where i had to use reg pop rivets in a few spots, i did the same with the 5200 and gluvits PLUS i mixed alittle gluvits and injected the rivet with a hypo needle where the mandrel breaks off.

i will admit most of the 5200 squeezed out when i set the rivet, which i expected and i wiped the excess off. i just wanted to get any 5200 into any irregularties in the hole

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know why you don't think 5200 won't flow into seams. If it's warm, it'll work fine, but you MUST MUST MUST make sure it has a good clean surface. It can't stick to old silicone, grease, or dirt.

Well, I was thinking that 5200 is a caulk and Gluvit is a resin. When I said "flow," I meant like a liquid would, but I've never actually used either product.

As for being clean, yes, there was a lot of silicone applied by the PO. I'm scraping it out now and plan to use 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner to get rid of whatever is left.

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey baytonemus

How about some pictures, I have a restoration in progress on 1959 Flyingcrest

I also will be replacing some rivets so was glad you got some responses

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gluvit is designed for the aluminum boats. You can peel away 3m5200 when it's dry.....

Even when it's been applied to a properly prepared surface?

I would not re-invent the wheel and I would use gluvit. Mixing it is not tough ......just like mixing anything else.

I'm just imagining trying to remove all of the paint from the braces and rows of rivets on the inside of the hull. I guess I could use a stripper (no off-color remarks, please), but it seems like another step and expense. I just wish I'd actually seen these products after application somewhere. That would probably help me decide.

Thanks.

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

i used both gluvit and 5200. i use closed end rivets on the hull with 5200 on them and then gluvits on the inside. where i had to use reg pop rivets in a few spots, i did the same with the 5200 and gluvits PLUS i mixed alittle gluvits and injected the rivet with a hypo needle where the mandrel breaks off.

i will admit most of the 5200 squeezed out when i set the rivet, which i expected and i wiped the excess off. i just wanted to get any 5200 into any irregularties in the hole

Thanks, Joe.

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey baytonemus

How about some pictures, I have a restoration in progress on 1959 Flyingcrest

I also will be replacing some rivets so was glad you got some responses

Cool! I'll put some up after dinner. It looks pretty cool sitting on top of the sawhorses I built for it in my driveway...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Your biggest enemy is going to be the silicone from the previous owner...... get a brass wire brush on a drill and go on the attack. It prevents anything from sticking properly.

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your biggest enemy is going to be the silicone from the previous owner...... get a brass wire brush on a drill and go on the attack. It prevents anything from sticking properly.

Yeah, rather than finding where the boat was actually leaking, they simply caulked (almost) every seam and rivet inside the hull. Some of it is still stuck down pretty good. Some of is totally loose.

The brass brush is a good idea. I'm still going to use the adhesive cleaner, though. I didn't think there was anything that would break down silicone, so I'm really curious to see how that works.

Thanks.

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are the pics I said I would post. It is a 1960 Imperial Flying Crest, as far as I can tell. My dad and grandpa sold Crestliner and Johnson/Evinrude on a very small scale out of our appliance store back in the 50s and 60s. This is the boat that was at my grandparents' cabin when I was growing up, and I learned to ski behind it. We had that long shaft Johnson 40 horse on it back then, but that is long gone.

boat_on_swahorses_side.jpg boat_on_sawhorses_front.jpg sawhorse_rear.jpg sawhorse_front.jpg rivets_removed_ext.jpg

As for the rivets, it appears to me that all of the original rivets - both the solid ones in the hull and the pop rivets that hold the extrusion that trims out the vinyl upholstery on the interior sidewalls - are 5/32". Center punching the head and then drilling through from the outside with a 5/32" bit has worked well. I'm planning to replace those in the hull with 3/16".

As for the sidewall rivets, I have not yet been able to find a 5/32" diameter rivet with such a small diameter head - 1/4".

One Legged Josh

Recruit

I would recommend using gluvit after bucking the new rivets.
Cool project, if that outboard could tell stories...I would listen!

Hey bipshoft I am also in mid-restoration. A 1960 crestliner imperial. What is that rail called that runs along the outside of the hull? the reason i ask is that i have to repair mine, i have about a three ft. section thats been broken off. anybody got a clue?:confused:

Racingman24

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's called a "Spray Rail"

:)

Thanks for the info. now i have to figure out were to find something like that.

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gluvit, pay the $ fix it once and get on the water.

My Crestline is alot like your boat. I really like what you did with it i hope mine looks as good as yours when i finish it.

I hope this isn't a dumb question, how did you get it up off the trailer and on the stands

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a 5200-related question. I've used it to attach wood to fiberglass many times and it works great. But I'm wondering how it works when attaching metal to fiberglass? The metal is powdercoated, should I used 5200 right on the powdercoat? Or should I get a wire brush and remove the paint from the glueing surfaces, so it's bare metal to fiberglass? (this metal is ALSO going to be bolted). My fear with stripping the paint is that if I don't do a perfect job of applying the 5200 (which I probably won't), it will start to rust.

Any thoughts on this?

FYI the metal I'm talking about is a simple steel seat pedestal.

Status
Not open for further replies.