Converting chrysler 25hp from tiller to cable control help

mxfreak117

Cadet
I'm extremely new at boating and boat repairs. But any help on the topic would be appreciated. I own a 14ft aluminum starcraft boat with what i believe is a 1983 (model 252h3g) chrysler 25hp tiller controlled outboard. i would like to convert it from tiller to cable driven or possibly remote steering. Which leads me to my question, first of all what would be the easiest and cheapest conversion to do, and what would i need to do the conversion? I have seen different types of conversion kits, but am unsure of which ones would work for me, if any. Thanks a lot

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Converting chrysler 25hp from tiller to cable control help

I converted my johnson from tiller to remote steering and control -

You have 3 systems -

1) that is for the steering, you can find used steering systems fairly cheap on craigslist - Alot of junk boats have perfectly good steering systems.

2) You need controls specific to your motor - search craigs list and ebay for those controls -

3) You also need to convert the tiller to remote control - this is a kit - you remove the tiller and put the replacement kit on and then the controls and the steering system can link up to the motor.

For my johnson motor it cost 200 dollars for the kit parts, and I already had the steering and controls. It can get a little pricey, but if you search ebay and craigs list enough you can get the parts cheaper.

jbjennings

Captain

Since your Chrysler wasn't the best motor ever built to start with (just my opinion), and because it's most likely pretty difficult to find parts for, I'd run it like it is for a while. All that time, I'd be looking for a good used motor that has controls and such to add to your boat to get it like you want it.
You'll likely be spending many times more than your chrysler is worth trying to find controls and such for it. Also, does your chrysler already have electric start and electric choke, and a wiring harness for it? If not, add that to your cost. I doubt you could find these two items if you don't have them already.
Not meaning to be so negative........... My suggestion, once again, is just enjoy your chrysler like it is for a while. Tiller motors have their own benefits, such as riding in the stern where the waves don't pound you as hard.
good luck,
JBJ

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When I bought my boat it had an old Chrysler 20hp on it.

You can tell it was a tiller at one time. Get your self some controls with cables. Check craigslist, usually can pick those up for about 40 bucks.

Mine was a pull start. You started it in the rear of the boat and moved up to the front. Done deal. If it's an electric start, starting via remote up front would be nice, but not necessary. You could still start in the rear via your key.

mxfreak117

Cadet

thanks a lot for the help guys. I'll start looking into it. I'm in college so money is an issue. Are the cables and steering systems specific to each brand of outboard? and also, nothing on the outboard is electric if that makes a difference. its a pull start. thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

controls and the connection at the motor for steering are brand specific.

here is the steering http://www.nicksoutboardmarine.com/steeringpg6.html the 840 model will work fine for you.

you will also need this #EG-LPK Fresh Water Kit
This kit is to supply through tube engine
connection. These are primarily for engines
that do not have the tube built on the engine.
This kit supplies the transom plate, threaded
tube and link- arm connection to engine.
These kits are made only for cable entry from
the port side of the tube.
$149.65

Attachments

• eglpk-150x86.jpg
    eglpk-150x86.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 0
  • base_media.jpg
    base_media.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

is is one of the systems i did, 1960 Lonestar with a 1956 15hp Evinrude rope start, i also had to go to the back to start the motor.

you can see the #EG-LPK Fresh Water Kit steering kit on the 15hp. it is actually suppose to mount so that the clamp screws of the motor, seat on it.

MVC-737S.jpg

mountingbracket.jpg

5515hp-1.jpg

MVC-733S.jpg

completed project:
MVC-905S-1.jpg