Floor in an Alumacraft F7

jomadav

Cadet
Hello all. I have been reading about some of the things people are doing to small aluminum boats to "trick" them out a bit and I had a question about the floor. The boat is a 1977 Alumacraft F7 std. transom. I want to remove the 3rd. bench seat and put in a low profile deck floor so it's more user friendly to walk through. Any ideas or comments before I grind off the rivets and pull it?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Floor in an Alumacraft F7

Pics always help us to help you. any time you make structural changes you run a risk of changing the integrity of the boat. However others have done it so, search the forum and you will probably find your answer.

jomadav

Cadet

I feel like a jerk for not seeing this. I know it's old now. Long story short - I never did the floor. I couldn't find a good solution that won't allow the strength to be comprimised. So it's on hold for now.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I feel like a jerk for not seeing this. I know it's old now. Long story short - I never did the floor. I couldn't find a good solution that won't allow the strength to be comprimised. So it's on hold for now.

Not a jerk, you just didn't persue it like you should've... could you not figure out how to post the pics of your boat?

We can pick this back up if you'd like, just post pics of your boat and I'm sure you'll get quite a few ideas from the guys here.

jomadav

Cadet

Wow, that was quick. Thanks.!
I do know how to post pics, the problem is right now the boat is about 2 hours north of me in winter storage. So I can't do the pics right now. It's nothing fancy. 1968/9 Alumacraft F7 4 bench, short transom classic "cabin rental" boat. I know that because that's how I bought it used. What I am trying to do is remove the 3rd row bench and re-inforce the side walls so the boat has rigidity. The flooring I may roll on Rhino Liner or similar now - no more decking, lots of people seem to like that idea. The boat it in pretty good shape all things considered. I just wan't to make it better and thought I coud get some ideas or mod.'s from here. I have no idea how I missed following up on this back when I started the thread, totally my fault.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

What do you consider the third row bench? Do you start counting from the bow or the stern?

You can make side storage boxes that will reinforce the area you removed the bench from to give you a cleay walkway and a place to stow gear. I can help you with this if you'd like.

jomadav

Cadet

I am counting from the bow to the stern. You have the "nose bench/ step" (1) then bench (2) then middle bench where you can row from (3) and then the last bench at the stern (4) where you would sit to use the tiller motor.
I would definatley like help with this. Ideas, plans, suggestions, beer for tears to fall in when the go wrong, etc.
Are the storage boxes made of plywood ? ( carpeted, painted, etc.) I don't have any access to a metal brake for bending / fabricating.
However I do have a rivet gun, an attention to detail, and 2nd guy to help. My specialty is in wire, not modifying boats.:lol:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You can build them out of plywood just fine, you will need some aluminum angle to attach them to the hull but that shouldn't be a problem.

The finish you put on them is up to you. Paint, carpet, or something else will work.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, that's a good way to weaken your boat. It should sink to the bottom nice and fast too due to lack of floatation.

There's quite a few people that can't understand you can't make an open deck boat out of a boat with single sidewalls and thin gunwales without reinforcing it.

That boat will be fine like that for a year or two depending on how much it's used, but over time rivets will start popping and ribs will start cracking... probably get some nice stress cracks in the hull too.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My dad has that same boat. I can't imagine attempting to stand in it. The thing is tippy enough as it is.