• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Floor in an Alumacraft F7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor in an Alumacraft F7

Hello all. I have been reading about some of the things people are doing to small aluminum boats to "trick" them out a bit and I had a question about the floor. The boat is a 1977 Alumacraft F7 std. transom. I want to remove the 3rd. bench seat and put in a low profile deck floor so it's more user friendly to walk through. Any ideas or comments before I grind off the rivets and pull it?
    "Advice is what we ask for when we know the answer and wish we didn't"
    - unkown

Re: Floor in an Alumacraft F7

Pics always help us to help you. any time you make structural changes you run a risk of changing the integrity of the boat. However others have done it so, search the forum and you will probably find your answer.
    1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
    Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
    Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint

Comment

I feel like a jerk for not seeing this. I know it's old now. Long story short - I never did the floor. I couldn't find a good solution that won't allow the strength to be comprimised. So it's on hold for now.
      - unkown

Comment

Originally posted by jomadav View Post
        I feel like a jerk for not seeing this. I know it's old now. Long story short - I never did the floor. I couldn't find a good solution that won't allow the strength to be comprimised. So it's on hold for now.
        Not a jerk, you just didn't persue it like you should've... could you not figure out how to post the pics of your boat?

We can pick this back up if you'd like, just post pics of your boat and I'm sure you'll get quite a few ideas from the guys here.
        I consider overkill a job well done... plus a little extra.

There's as many ways to do something as there is people to tell you how to do it... but not all of them are the right way.

The drinking and debauchery will continue until morale improves... and maybe for a little while after.

Comment

Wow, that was quick. Thanks.!
          I do know how to post pics, the problem is right now the boat is about 2 hours north of me in winter storage. So I can't do the pics right now. It's nothing fancy. 1968/9 Alumacraft F7 4 bench, short transom classic "cabin rental" boat. I know that because that's how I bought it used. What I am trying to do is remove the 3rd row bench and re-inforce the side walls so the boat has rigidity. The flooring I may roll on Rhino Liner or similar now - no more decking, lots of people seem to like that idea. The boat it in pretty good shape all things considered. I just wan't to make it better and thought I coud get some ideas or mod.'s from here. I have no idea how I missed following up on this back when I started the thread, totally my fault.
          - unkown

Comment

What do you consider the third row bench? Do you start counting from the bow or the stern?

You can make side storage boxes that will reinforce the area you removed the bench from to give you a cleay walkway and a place to stow gear. I can help you with this if you'd like.

There's as many ways to do something as there is people to tell you how to do it... but not all of them are the right way.

The drinking and debauchery will continue until morale improves... and maybe for a little while after.

Comment

I am counting from the bow to the stern. You have the "nose bench/ step" (1) then bench (2) then middle bench where you can row from (3) and then the last bench at the stern (4) where you would sit to use the tiller motor.
              I would definatley like help with this. Ideas, plans, suggestions, beer for tears to fall in when the go wrong, etc.
              Are the storage boxes made of plywood ? ( carpeted, painted, etc.) I don't have any access to a metal brake for bending / fabricating.
              However I do have a rivet gun, an attention to detail, and 2nd guy to help. My specialty is in wire, not modifying boats.
              - unkown

Comment

You can build them out of plywood just fine, you will need some aluminum angle to attach them to the hull but that shouldn't be a problem.

The finish you put on them is up to you. Paint, carpet, or something else will work.

Comment

I found some pics on TinBoats.net from a poster that are almost exactly what I want to do.

My 1968 14ft Alumacraft project (Finished!) - TinBoats.net
                  - unkown

Comment

Yeah, that's a good way to weaken your boat. It should sink to the bottom nice and fast too due to lack of floatation.

There's quite a few people that can't understand you can't make an open deck boat out of a boat with single sidewalls and thin gunwales without reinforcing it.

That boat will be fine like that for a year or two depending on how much it's used, but over time rivets will start popping and ribs will start cracking... probably get some nice stress cracks in the hull too.

Comment

My dad has that same boat. I can't imagine attempting to stand in it. The thing is tippy enough as it is.
                      1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
                      Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767
                      1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
                      Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338633 sold

Comment

Working...
                      X