Another Penetrol Experience

Swivelhart

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First of all let me make a disclaimer. I have four kids...10months...4yrs...8yrs...11yrs... All this means hardly anytime for projects, hardly any money for projects. So all of you who have the time, money, and tools to do things the best way can ignore this post. I did what I could in the time I was allowed with funds I had.

Now what do I have? I have a 1966 Larson All American 120hp with (I know) electric stringer. But everything works perfect. Got the boat for $750. Transom solid...Floors solid...interior near mint! The bad...Some unexperienced somone sprayed the whole boat with auto paint or something because when I got it it looked like someone took a paint brush put on a pair of welding goggles and slapped away. They did such a good job that when the temperature climbed above 80 the paint got sticky and held dirt like I don't know what! Thus the good price! I think!

Here is what I did and the only thing that would take the paint off. 20 cans of wallmart carb cleaner took most of the paint off except a few spots but revealed a horribly faded and oxidized finish. As you can see below!

LarsonF3.jpg

LarsonF1.jpg

The red almost looked pinkish. I don't do Pink!
After getting all the nasty paint off I took 400wet dry and sanded the entire thing. After that 600 after that 800 after that 1000. I actually scrubbed too hard and put some pretty bad marks in the gelcoat as this is a first to me. After it was all done It looked shiny but still pinkish. I had no more time left to prepare the surface. After doing a ton of searches and realizing I had little time left little money left and eager to get on the water I decided to do the penetrol thing. Didn't use Marine penetrol just the regular stuff at home depot. Pulled the boat into my dads barn did a quick wipe down with acetone (quick). Smeared on a bunch of penetrol in three square foot sections at a time and wiped off immediately with old t shirts. Did the whole boat then immediately covered with tarp. By the way the weather was 95degrees and 80%humidity. Came back the next day and smeared on more penetrol and wiped off immediately. each time looked better and better. Came back The next day and put a coat of Megauires gold class carnuba wax ( the stuff you find in Wallmart for automobiles). I couldn't believe the results see for your self....

Larson5.jpg

Larson1.jpg

Larson4.jpg

Larson2.jpg

From two feet away in the shade you can see the bad swirl marks from sanding too hard with 400. In the sun it strangely disappears. Can't see the scratches in the sun. Anyway I am more than pleased. One thing I would do different is not push so hard with the 400 wet dry and also use some higher rated UV wax. My boat is covered all the time when not in use and sits on a trailer. For those of you on a budget this might be your ticket!

Remember it's not perfect but looks awsome for a 44yr old boat.

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Another Penetrol Experience

Nice. I love it when elbow grease does the job without having to spend a fortune. Hope that wax holds up. Keep an eye on it, and hit it again if you need to. Now enjoy!

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks great! Never tried Penetrol before, good to know how well it works combined with lots of elbow grease :)

Swivelhart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the feedback. Now as I find the time I need to do from the rubrail down. Not to sure how to tackle that as there are areas that need paint touchup! Anybody know how long one has to wait before applying another coat of wax?