Building a boat from scratch

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class
It has always been a dream of mine to build a boat from scratch. I occasionally get the itch and visit the Glen-L site to look at the plans. Has anyone on here ever built one? How much time does it really take. Many of the ones on the Glen-L site has the people spending 2 years or more.

Re: Building a boat from scratch

I have never done it. From what I have read about doing it, 2 years is reasonable depending on size and style.

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have built a 14' ply jonboat with my dad from Glen-L plans, took a winter to get on the water. I designed from scratch and built a 12' S&G kayak in about 2 months.

That said, I would give at least a year for any of the larger frame built boats. It is one of the most rewarding things I have done. If you have kids, involve them. You won't regret it!

Terry

oops!

Supreme Mariner

it has taken me over two years to build my hull extension boat.....it would have been quicker if i was building a woodie from scratch.

erik green is building a woodie....he is on his second summer...

its a really fun project
just make sure you have lots of money....or at least a doaner boat that has all the mechanicals in great working condition.

cheers
oops

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unfortunately, it sounds like the first thing that I would have to do is build a garage. I don't think my wife would like it if I kicked her car out of the garage for a year or two. :)

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

I saw in a wooden boat build thread where the builder constructed the entire frame of the boat in his basement during the winter. He just didn't fasten anything together. When spring came he took it apart and reconstructed it in his garage.

There's always a way.:)

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class

It has always been a dream of mine to build a boat from scratch. I occasionally get the itch and visit the Glen-L site to look at the plans. Has anyone on here ever built one? How much time does it really take. Many of the ones on the Glen-L site has the people spending 2 years or more.

Have you dropped in at Wooden Boat Forum? Wooden Boat Forum

P1130070_2.jpg

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do it! Here's the jon as it sits tonight, came off the lake about a hour ago..
89a0ce3c.jpg

Normally rigged w/ a Yam 20, scoots at about 30mph.

Here's the yak:
CIMG0604.jpg

I'll say it for the 7th time...DO IT!!!!:)
Terry

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Send me a PM and I'll send you a Nice little BoatBuilding 101 pdf file that I think you will like reading.
I am currently building a little 11' Glen L "Squirt" runabout that will be powered by an old 1957 15hp Johnson. Should be ready to launch next spring. Not hard at all. Been a woodworker for 30 years. Lots of tools and a big shop so I got the space and the skills. But even a novice could follow these plans. Lots of help on the internet as well.

tkms002

Seaman

HI, I built a Glen-L Kingfisher stretched to 20' about 10 years ago. It took me every free minute for 2 years before first launch and then another winter to detail it and complete. Can't believe my wife put up with it and I am still married to the same wonderful gal. IT TAKES A LOT OF TIME if you are not building a conoe or a yak. Also helped a buddy build an 8 ft dingy, Did that in a winter then it was stolen off his sail boat.
Go for it if have the time.
Bruce

skipper123

Seaman

I built a 14ft stich and glue from BETAU. It was lots of fun and I learned a lot. The first thing I learned is Im not going to build the houseboat that I had planned to do. I will buy a hull and restore. Big money savings the way I see it and a lot less man hours. I had 89 man hours in the 14ft skiff with no paint and keel. It sucked up $600.00 bucks in 2005 so fast I lost count. I used epoxy being a unskilled builder and its expensive. My next project buy the hull and restore from their, 23 to 25 footer. Im looking for her now.

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

I built a 14ft stich and glue from BETAU. It was lots of fun and I learned a lot. The first thing I learned is Im not going to build the houseboat that I had planned to do. I will buy a hull and restore. Big money savings the way I see it and a lot less man hours. I had 89 man hours in the 14ft skiff with no paint and keel. It sucked up $600.00 bucks in 2005 so fast I lost count. I used epoxy being a unskilled builder and its expensive. My next project buy the hull and restore from their, 23 to 25 footer. Im looking for her now.

Funny you say that, doing my restore has convinced me to build the next one, to he!! with grinding old glass:eek:.

Terry

Doug N.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Take a look at unclejohns.com. I have built two boats and the land sailer from there. It's a good way to start with something relatively easy and won't take up the garage for years. If you get after it, you can put together a pirogue in a month. The jon boat will take a couple of months to complete.

I need to check out the Glen l thing; I haven't heard of that before.

Best of luck.