Deck replacement in fiberglass Bass Buster

Eddie Mullins

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 70's model fiberglass bass buster. The boats hull is in good shape as is the transom, but the floor is getting pretty weak. There is 1 spot inparticular that actually cracked open. I attached a couple of pics, not the best but you can see the console and 2 storage areas, these apear to be molded into the floor to me and to the hull. I have tried to search through old posts on here but just don't know where to start. If it wasn't for the mentioned items being molded onto the boat, I would proably be able to start with the open hull and put in a wood floor, well actually I would still need help, but I am at a loss of what to do.

Attachments

• boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 0
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 0

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Deck replacement in fiberglass Bass Buster

remove top cap by removing the rub rail will allow you to replace deck without any problem from seats and helm...

Eddie Mullins

Seaman Apprentice

remove top cap by removing the rub rail will allow you to replace deck without any problem from seats and helm...

OK - I'm gooing to show my ingnorance and just what your dealing with - I don't know what a rub rail is? The seats are srewed into the floor, so I can get them out of the way easily, its the molded in storage and live well on the side I'm not sure how to handle.

I may as well confess, I'm not sure what you mean by the top cap either...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If the floor is so weak that it has broken/cracked open then this indicates that there is structural damage below. Your pics show carpet. You will need to remove the carpet to get to the wood deck. Set your circular saw to a little more than the thickness of the deck wood and cut out a portion of the deck in the area of the cracked portion and then you will be able to get a better view of what lies below. I suspect you will find you have had water below which has caused the wooden stringers ( supports for the wood deck) to rot and therefore they will need to be replaced before replacing the deck. To do this it is easier to remove the top cap. The top cap is the piece of your boat that is above the rub rail. The rubrail is the piece of chrome and rubber molding that is attached to the exterior of your boat that protects it from hitting the dock. when you remove the rubber there are hundreds of screws or rivets that hold the top cap in place. Your boat is made in two pieces. the Top cap and the Hull. This could Turn into a MAJOR project and a lot of work. Do you plan on keeping the boat and do you want to spend a thousand or two dollars and 100 or 2 hours??? if not you might want to reconsider and sell her and buy another boat. I'm just sayin....:rolleyes:

If you're not allergic to work and don't mind spending some bucks, then, Welcome to iBoats!!! We're all a little crazy here when it comes to werkin on Boats so you will feel right at home. The more pics you provide the more we can help.
Good Luck!!!

Eddie Mullins

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply, I'll take some more pics and we can go from there. As far as possibly selling the boat, there's a little story behind it, I didn't buy it, but am some what, at least in my mind, obligated to keep it - came from my dad. I have already spent more trying to fix the old motor and then for the "new" 84 model 35 HP Mercury thats on it now than I would have liked. Next I'm ordering new axle with hubs plus new 13" wheels and tires (note the little 8 inch wheels in the pic - about to wear out the third set in a year). So liked it or not, I guess I will be in for some work in the future...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Eddie

I totally understand. Thats part of the fun of this boat building stuff.
Dad will be proud of your efforts. Keep the pics coming and we all will be more than happy to help you along the way. It will be a lot of work but with the help of everyone on here you can and will "Git er Dun"

Eddie Mullins

Seaman Apprentice

Ok here's a few more pics, showing the rub rail and the damaged area.

This is the weak spot in the floor, its right in the corner of the fron storage area and the hull.
boat pic2.jpg

a side view of the boat and rub rail
boat pic4.jpg

and a top view of the gunwale and rub rail. looking at the hoels drilled through it looks like a solid piece, but itsn't this were the two pieces should be overlapped?
boat pic3.jpg

Will I be able to salvage the old rub rail? I see LOTS of rivets behind it, but not sure where to start to remove it. Separating the boat into sections seems a bit overwhelming.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi there! Thats a cute little bass rig! Never seen one like that before. Yeah if you gotta do stringer, floor, and probably transom work the best thing will be to take the cap off. I share your feeling in it looking complicated! Have never actually done it myself but tons of guyz have! So if you got will...it can be done!! I have a project I just got that depending on what I find...might be doing the same thing! Best of luck!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Post a pic of the entire boat so I can get a better perspective of what we have to work with. Based on what I see so far it looks pretty straight forward but would like to see the entire boat and more of a side shot of the boat from about 10 feet away. Still not sure how the cap and the hull are attached. Your gunwale has me a little confused. Has the boat been outside exposed to alot of rain with that big crack in the floor??

Doghauler

Recruit

I know this is an old thread...but I am just seeng it for the forst time...I also have a "bass buster" ...although I didn't know it until I saw your thread...I won the boat at a benefit auction for an employee of mine...any way my deck has the same issue as yours and I am gong tovreplace it this fall...did you ever finjsh yours and if so do you have any pointers. Also do you know the manufacturer of this boat..I cannot find any info on them anywhere. Mine is a 1973 Model with a 50hp Mercury of the same year...runs great and easy to fish out of....any response would be appreciated. Thanks

Ok here's a few more pics, showing the rub rail and the damaged area.

This is the weak spot in the floor, its right in the corner of the fron storage area and the hull.
View attachment 56770

a side view of the boat and rub rail
View attachment 56773

and a top view of the gunwale and rub rail. looking at the hoels drilled through it looks like a solid piece, but itsn't this were the two pieces should be overlapped?
View attachment 56771

Will I be able to salvage the old rub rail? I see LOTS of rivets behind it, but not sure where to start to remove it. Separating the boat into sections seems a bit overwhelming.