Removing Ski Pole

Untamedpeppers

Recruit
I have a 1980 Ski Supreme that I am working on restoring and trying to figure out how to remove the ski pole. I removed the four bolts holding it but it still will not move at all in the bottom mount. Do i need to just apply a lot upward force to to get out, or if the was another bolt i might be missing? Any help is welcome. Thanks

Attachments

• Pole.jpg
    Pole.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 0

Drewb082001

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Removing Ski Pole

did they fiber glass it to the bottom? that doesnt look like the ski poles ive seen. looks like they just stuck the pole threw a hole and fiber glassed it it. maybe im looking at it wrong but thats what it looks like to me

iqxoqlms

Seaman

That is identical to the pylon in my '84 Ski Supreme. I never did get it out. I worked around it. It was intended to slide out when new, but corrosion got the better of mine. I did not want to heat it to free it up - so I just worked around it.

Untamedpeppers

Recruit

Thanks for the responds. The bottom coupler is fiber glass to hull, but the pole should still slide out. It does have a lot of corrosion/rust all round it. I just wanted to make sure it just came straight up before i started trying to get it out.

iqxoqlms - I read all the post on the 84 that you restored, it looks good, go a lot of idea from it. I was going to ask how you got your pole out, but i notice that it was in all the pics so I figure you left it in. (by the way does the front of your boat seem to dip down when you running at idle speed?)

iqxoqlms

Seaman

Regarding the Pylon - I soaked mine with penetrating oil for days. When I tried to lift it out with an overhead hoist it lifted the boat off the trailer. I put the set screws back in and moved on with the project.

Yes - my boat rides very "bow heavy" at idle speeds.

FirstTimeonWater.jpg

Get some pictures and details of your project up here for us to admire!

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I restored an 81 Nautique several years ago and never could get it out. I ended up working around it. The problem is that the aluminum pole is mounted in a cast iron bracket that is glassed in the hull. the aluminum and iron corrode and they will not budge.

skisupreme1985

Recruit

Im restoring a 1985 ski supreme and my pole was stuck as well. I heated it up red hot and it still wouldnt budge. Ended up ripping it out and glassing in a new one.