• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Restoration Project....1976 Glastron Carlson CV16

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Restoration Project....1976 Glastron Carlson CV16

The boat was given to me by my in-laws. It was just sitting around collecting dust, dirt, weeds, etc. So we dragged it home a started the long process of the restoration.

First things first, the floor, skids, and transom need to be replaced. Tip are welcome.

Last edited by JJ1479; August 5th, 2010, 04:03 PM.

Re: My Restoration Project....1976 Glastron Carlson CV16

Last edited by JJ1479; August 5th, 2010, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Comment

Last edited by JJ1479; August 5th, 2010, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Last edited by JJ1479; August 5th, 2010, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Last edited by JJ1479; August 5th, 2010, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Looks like pretty much what i've been doing for the last 5 months with a 78 carlson cvx16ss. alot of work but the lines and body style of these boats are really one of a kind. That gray metallic should come out after about 7 to 10 coats of rubbing compound. A rotary buffer will ease some of the pain. I spent about 300 on upholstry (sp?) and did alot of it myself with Nagahide. seats are cheap online. Fiberglass is well... expensive but get some disposable gloves. The foam under the deck needs to be replaced with the same. I don't think the blow in stuff has the same bouyancy. If the wood is that rotten I'd re-glass the transon with a top coat and redrill any holes that are needed. Good luck one that sweet ride. I see the 115 on the back. That sucker should scream.

Comment

Am I seeing that right? A manual horn? I gotta be looking at that wrong. If that's what that is, it's beyond funny.

"I dunno officer. When I first saw hime I thought he was celebrating or something... and then he crashed into the marina."

Sweet ride! One of my favorite hulls.
                There are three types of people in this world:
                Those who understand math and those who don't.

Comment

Well its been awhile since my last post. Honey Do list tend to take over your life. Any who, the following pics will tell the story of where I'm at now with the restoration. I have yet to glass anything or even buy the wood for that matter. Just still grinding away, slowly but surely. Probably the major things that have happen since last time are:

1. Got the engine off
                  2. Got the boat of the trailer and into the garage for some needed SHADE! (Texas heat is no joke, its been over 100 degrees every day for like the last 2 weeks)
                  3. Removed all hardware, rub rail, all electrical within the boat, gas tanks, etc
                  4. Split the boat in the garage and placed the top out of the way.

Just grinding away. Notice the 1/4"-1/2" think "resin plate" at the transom. This was between the old wood and the fiberglass hull of the boat. I will not be grinding this thing off. It will take forever. If you look closely, you will see the "resin plate" cracking at various spots. I'm gonna grind the cracks wide and fill with resin. Kinda like fixing concrete cracks in your garage. First you clean, then you make the crack bigger, then you fill with some type of concrete crack filler. Same principal.

The front is staring at me, daring me to take it apart. But I'm not, the wood looks good, just need to install a new permenant fuel tank on the original location. No more fuel jugs.

The goal is to have the stringer out by this weekend. I'm only going to cut 3/4 of it out because I do not want to rip the front out just to gain access to maybe 3 more feet of stringer. Besides, the front area of the stringer looks ok. Worse case is that I will add additional support on both sides where the new stringer and old one meet.

Notice the "resin plate" cracks near the bottom. But there is no cracking on the outside of the boat, just that "resin plate"

Both rear corners need to be redone.

The upper half hanging out on the trailer.

Comment

Sold the steering wheel to my boss at work. I will be getting a carbon fiber one for the replacement.

Nasty!

There she is sitting in the garage.

The old bilge area. I'm gonna make it square instead and actually place the drain holes where they should have been from the factory..........where the wood touches the inner hull, not 2 inches up from the hull. That way there is not a forever lasting 2 inch puddle of water there.

This shows the thickness of the "resin plate"

Comment

Welcome to iBoats!
                      Nice Boat and Nice Work so far. Check Out page 76 of OOPS thread for his Peanut Butter Recipe You can use it for your transom fill-in work. and for filleting your stringers etc... Check out this guys thread his boat is similar to yours so you might get some ideas.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=364284

Hope you are using a Tyvek and a good mask during your grinding and sanding sessions. ***************** is a good resource for your materials if you don't already have one.

Remember Time, Money, and Beer and you can do anything

I'm just sayin...
                      1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
                      Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
                      Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have read that thread multiple times. He did awesome work.

As for the peanut butter, I was going to use 3M 5200 to lay the stringer and transom on. Or is it really not that stiff enough for the application?

Comment

Kinda Expensive but it would work. Lots of guys just use PL to set their stringers with and some even use it to laminate their transoms with. You will need quite a bit of filleting material to Round everything to prepare to glass everyting in so I would suggest you look into the peanut butter. Easy and fairly cheap to make, easy to apply and makes your glassing job ten times easier.

I'm just sayin...
                          1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
                          Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
                          Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint

Comment

Be sure to check out or foin the CGOA Classic Glastron Owners Assoc. It should still be free and can hook you up with others in your area and original information you may need. My photobucket has some pics in it of a few 16's that were at the last one Greg had at Ross-Barnett. I sold mine and they were definitely eye-catching strong boats even today.

They changed the laws in MS and I don't like wearing my jacket the entire time I'm on the boat. The bigger the boat the less you have to wear it.

That 115 Johnson is like the 350 chev of outboards and when you finish this one you'll be looking around for a CV23 to go with it.

Comment

Well the in-laws said the motor will fire up if a battery was hooked up to it, but I never tried it. There are multiple machanics in the area who work on Johnson outboards, so when the boat is complete, I will take the engine to get a complete tune up, bottom half overhaul, etc.

I'm all over the Glastron site, but for some reason I registared but have yet to receive the confirmation e-mail. Hmmmmm.........

As for the PL, could I use this stuff instead? I saw it at homedepot last night when I was shopping for solar screens to use on the house windows.

http://www.**************************...id=6102&BECOME

Comment

Working...
                              X