Anyone heard of Illstreet Poly Resin? Or good low cost layup resin??

Intermediate Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey there-
There is this site with this "illstreet" resin... anyone heard of it? It's pretty low cost at around 30 bucks or less for layup resin - and the wax is separate! And they have free shipping one gallon.
http://www.carbon-fiber.us/resin-sy...32_3353.html?gclid=CJaOveqylqICFREeDQodjltxEA

If not, anyone know of a good quality resin for structural that is low cost? Ive seen some for $30-$50 and some for $80-$100...???...

Thanks!

Intermediate Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Anyone heard of Illstreet Poly Resin? Or good low cost layup resin??

Hey thanks Woodon,

I seen alot of guys lking the us composites products.

I was noticing though...

if you look at the can on us composites' site VS the can on carbon-fiber's site they look awfully similar with just a different sticker... and the verbal description is mysteriously similar, hmmm. Also SAME CATEGORIES in relatively same order... either these are the same companies or they are selling the same product with their own label - but that's just a suspicion.

I wonder where this stuff is made... notice how you cannot click on the label for a close-up? I wonder if these companies are just distributors, I wonder who the big kahuna is (I wonder if this is chinese - they churn out a lower cost alternative to just about everything but usually less quality but sometimes good). I am hoping resin is resin.

Now take some of the $100 a gallon stuff, I bet it's made in USA! I wonder what make the $100 stuff so much better than $30 stuff.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

There are very few actual resin manufactures, online and retail companies buy resin from these larger companies and repackage it with their own label on it.

Unless they want to tell who actually made it, there's no way to know.

1 gallon metal cans and labels are cheap.

Intermediate Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi,
Just wanted to throw my 2 cents on here. I have ordered from US Composites for a couple of years now and have been less than happy. First it takes 2 DAYS (for some reason) before your order actually leaves the warehouse... they NEVER EVER EVER ship same day. Also the layup resin 435 from US Composites appears to be extremely watered down, it is VERY thin compared to other resins i've ordered, almost watery. Also the pure white gelcoat (which I have ordered 3 times) ALWAYS hardens in the can when you get down to the bottom. Also the surfacer wax 2oz bottle is not enough. I just ordered form Illstreet the other days and I bet my experience cannot get any worse. And they ship same day and shipping is less and product is a couple of bucks more so it evens out. They also had 12 oz bottle of surfacer for $5. One other thing, Illstreet has shopping cart on their website, USC does not. Good luck.

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try it and let us know how it goes.

tpenfield

Staff member

I have used www.fiberglasssite.com . . . Not sure from what company the products originate, but the service seems pretty quick.

BillP

Captain

I've ordered epoxy mat several times from UScomposites and had excellent service...delivery has always been to my door in 2-3 days (they are only 150 miles away). For resin and all other supplies I buy from Fiberglass Florida. They are local to me so I don't have hazmat charges, but the prices are lower than most. No complaints with either and I'd recommend both.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hi,
Just wanted to throw my 2 cents on here. I have ordered from US Composites for a couple of years now and have been less than happy. First it takes 2 DAYS (for some reason) before your order actually leaves the warehouse... they NEVER EVER EVER ship same day. Also the layup resin 435 from US Composites appears to be extremely watered down, it is VERY thin compared to other resins i've ordered, almost watery. Also the pure white gelcoat (which I have ordered 3 times) ALWAYS hardens in the can when you get down to the bottom. Also the surfacer wax 2oz bottle is not enough. I just ordered form Illstreet the other days and I bet my experience cannot get any worse. And they ship same day and shipping is less and product is a couple of bucks more so it evens out. They also had 12 oz bottle of surfacer for $5. One other thing, Illstreet has shopping cart on their website, USC does not. Good luck.

That's odd! I have not experienced any of those issues. the 435 resin is designed to be that consistency. It helps for better wet out, especially in cooler climates. You can always add a bit of cabosil if you need a thicker consistency. I'm in Tulsa, Ok, not to far from you, and my orders always come withing 5 business days of my order. I know that is their policy so I order my supplies in advance to allow for the shipping. I'm not a gelcoat guy so no experience with their gelcoat. Hard to believe that gelcoat will harden without MEKP. 2 oz of wax is not enough for how much Gelcoat?

FYI Resin has shelf life but the hardener REALLY has a shelf life. Some of the high discount vendors don't guarantee their stuff and if the hardener is old you will have curing issues.

I don't have that issue with uscomposites

tpenfield

Staff member

I will probably need some low viscosity resins for my stringer and bulkhead repair project. Perhaps I'll have to give US Composites a try. :)

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Where did you see the free shipping? That alone would get me to try at least a gallon.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Don't think he quoted free shipping, just said it was cheaper.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Hey there-
There is this site with this "illstreet" resin... anyone heard of it? It's pretty low cost at around 30 bucks or less for layup resin - and the wax is separate! And they have free shipping one gallon.<--- Right there
http://www.carbon-fiber.us/resin-sy...32_3353.html?gclid=CJaOveqylqICFREeDQodjltxEA

If not, anyone know of a good quality resin for structural that is low cost? Ive seen some for $30-$50 and some for $80-$100...???...

Thanks!

I looked on the website and saw nothing of it though.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This company is in South Carolina. Cost to ship one Gallon of Resin to Tulsa, Ok. was 17.43 NOT FREE!!!!! Sorry I missed that in his first post. In his second post he said shipping was less. I don't think it is. Personally I'll stick with USComposites. I have had nothing but Great Service and response from them. I will say that their technical advice, is sometimes a little suspect.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Ya, that's why I asked where he saw that.

tpenfield

Staff member

Yes, shipping is a factor . . . last year I was buying some resin online, $30 + $10 shipping, so $40 / gallon. If I catch a sale at West Marine, I can buy a gallon of resin for the same $40. The only problem is that the stuff at the retail stores has wax added, so it is only good for some parts of a job.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

The biggest problem with the retails stores is self life, you have no idea how old the product is, and neither do the sale people that work there...I've asked.

CW

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

So personally I would suggest you guys take a look at compositesone.com give them a call, they have multiple locations possibly one close by. in fact WoG you have compositesone located 1 hour and 50 minutes from you in Van Buren, AR... Just an idea.. I got quoted from UsComposites to ship to me in Washington State for 3 5gal buckets of resin. was 375 just for the resin (@125 ea), 75 hazmat (25 bucks each 5gal container), plus shipping 70 bucks. Total was 520... Composites one House Resin at 110 bucks a 5 gal container, no shipping or hazmat charges. so 330 total for 3 5gal containers... so at that price i could even buy the Compositesone VinylEster at 184 per 5gal pail for 552 :)

Just a heads up... also at Composites one... 1 whole roll of 1.5oz Chop strand mat 50" width is 1.53 per pound, 1 roll is 100lb so 153 dollars for a roll of CSM...
From what i gather a full roll is 80 yards as claimed by UScomposites.
Each roll has a different weight is what the uscomposites rep told me... so they do it by yard. but roughly each 80 yard roll is about 80-85lb
composite one does it by weight so you are getting a tad bit more in your roll...
just saying it may be better for someone to spend 1 tank of gas to drive 2 hours there and 2 hours back... but than again unless you drive a bicycle you may end up paying more if your truck full tank is 100+ to fill up.. ( i feel sorry for you )

Just saying this info may benefit someone :) hope it does

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the gp resins at comp one are fantastic.
when you glass with them you can really tell you have a good product....

i have an account there.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

awesome oops glad someone agrees with me. thank you... dont you love thier prices? i mean the only thing i can find that disappoints me is that they wont sell by the yard. its by the pound... so i gotta buy the whole biax 1708 roll lol... but on the bright side i will have plenty 1708 to sell myself or enough for plenty more projects to come :D if you say that thier GP resin is legit than i will take your word as a good word!