NOOB ALERT: Free Titan 15' Bass boat, what next???

eqppwqqep

Cadet
Hi guys, new here and new to glass boats. I owned a small 1236 tinboat and was on tinboats for a while planning to deck it, until I took it out on the lakes...not decking that thing. After my 3 year old threw his tackle in the lake, I decided to ditch the boat and buy what I really wanted (bigger boat) later. Well, later came 2 months instead of a few years as planned.
A gentlemen here in Jackson, TN was giving a Titan boat with a 75 hp Evinrude with tilt and trim, and a trailer for FREE. I told him I could afford that.

Yesterday I got it home and tore out the deck, seats, popped the powerhead cover to check the engine. I have a laundry list of things I know need done and no knowledge of how to do them.
- Steering cable is frozen
- Deck needs replaced
- Repainted?
- The hull needs reglassed or resined...don't know which or even if the terminology is right
- Inside the hull, i noticed the stringers are built in? one of them is partially gone, the hull flexes a little
- Transom is S-H-O-T
- Chalked and dirty, but I am dedicated to fixing her

Pictures:
imag0026w.jpg

imag0027jg.jpg

If you look closely, you'll see vegetation growing in the boat...the deck was like compost and the veg was alive and well. An entire ecosystem existed in the boat. I have never seen so many ants in my life.

My questions, if you don't mind throwing your expertise at it:
- How do you rebuild the stringers? They were all of maybe 1 inch tall. Can I just add fir strips and glass them?
- How do you go about reglassing? Should I reglass or should I just repair the handful of chips and fair it out?
- Do I need to resin the transom? If you look at the second picture, the transom has a cap that comes off and it lifts out, more like it crumbles out ... lol.
- Really noob question: My flat bottom took a transom plug, do glass boats use transom plugs?
- When I do reglass or resin, will I benefit from glassing everything under and including the new deck?
- How in the world do you seperate the two halves? (top and bottom)
- Is it worth it? Should I scrap the boat and sell the trailer?
- Is it normal to want to fix up these poor pitiful boats? Most people shy away from these nightmares.
- I have fairly strong wood working skills. I have build an entertainment center for my home, so I am not shy around fast moving blades. I am scared to death of fiberglass. It itches and I don't like it.
- Can ants fish? :)

Thanks guys. I am excited to be a part of iboats.

As of now, I have removed as much as I can from the boat.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
Re: NOOB ALERT: Free Titan 15' Bass boat, what next???

Well eq you have already accomplished what I can't in the past 6 yrs on I -boats (post pics) but anyway rigs got potential and as for advise you'll get pleanty of it and in droves once the guy's read your post. I personally don't have the b--l's and or the $ @this point to undertake this type of ordeal but I do read this forum daily and I can point you in some good directions to help you out 1st off use the search funtion and find the hull extension thread and believe me when I tell you to set aside a week or 2 of straight reading because ooops still isn't done with it but you will get every bit of info out of that thread that you will ever need to finish your rig and the right way you will see what I mean after you read it. But as far as splitting the top from the hull just pull the rub rail off and grind off the rivits and or remove the screws and lift it off caution though thier may be adheasive holding her down but perservere the seach funtion here for any item needing done is excellant. Good luck and I hope this helps

shikard

Seaman Apprentice

Wow...looks like a big project! There is a wealth of information available on this site. If you search the threads you can usually find the info you are looking for. With a project like this I would make sure you have a good idea of how much you are willing to spend on this before you start. To give you an Idea, I'm currently finishing up replacing the stringers on my ski boat. Here's about what I have in it so far: 3 sheets of 3/4" OMD plywood $180, 1 roll of 12" bi-ax cloth with 6 oz. mat backing $150, 1 roll of 4" fiberglass tape $75. 2 gallons of west systems epoxy $180, two cans epoxy hardner $60. 2 sheets 3/4" pressure treat plywood $66....by the time you add in misc. nuts, screws, sanding discs, respirator,ect...I probably have $700-$750 and I haven't even looked at carpet for the floor. Plus you have to consider whether or not the engine will run. Steering cable will be about $150 depending...So my question to you is, when this boat is finished will it be worth $1000 bucks to you plus a couple hundred hours of your time?...Or can you find a different boat that has a great running engine and only needs a new floor? Maybe a larger aluminum boat so you wouldn't have to worry about the stringers being rotten.

I wish you good luck with what ever you choose...and please post lots of pics along the way...I'd love to follow along on this rebuild!

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Oh yea!!!!!!! forgot to mention that it is always a good idea to make sure all the mechanicals work 1st that way you know what your in for before you start and can set an approprieate budget to complete and aalso keep in mind that you rig when finished will not even be worth what you have in materials and labor when your done but to you it will be priceless.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A gentlemen here in Jackson, TN was giving a Titan boat with a 75 hp Evinrude with tilt and trim, and a trailer for FREE. I told him I could afford that.

Great deal!!! That trailer looks decent and if it has good compression, that's a fantastic motor. I also like that style of older bass boat.

- Steering cable is frozen
Sent you a PM on this

- How do you rebuild the stringers? They were all of maybe 1 inch tall. Can I just add fir strips and glass them?
I'm no glass guy but that sounds like a plan to me. Most on here use plywood for their stringers but being only an inch tall I like your plan

- How do you go about reglassing? Should I reglass or should I just repair the handful of chips and fair it out?
I'd fill the nicks and holes with MarineTex and just paint the whole darn thing

- Really noob question: My flat bottom took a transom plug, do glass boats use transom plugs?
Yes they do

- How in the world do you seperate the two halves? (top and bottom)
Take off the rub rail. The two halves are usually screwed or riveted together. I would definitely pop the cap on this project. Makes things much easier.

- Is it worth it? Should I scrap the boat and sell the trailer?
I think it's worth it. It's a nice fishing rig and I think it will be great when you rebuild it. Probably pretty desirable also as used boats go.

- Is it normal to want to fix up these poor pitiful boats? Most people shy away from these nightmares.
Haha, probably not normal :p

- I have fairly strong wood working skills. I have build an entertainment center for my home, so I am not shy around fast moving blades. I am scared to death of fiberglass. It itches and I don't like it.
I'm a tin boat guy so I don't do glass. From what I've seen on here the worst part is grinding out all the bad stuff. The rebuilding doesn't seem too bad or complicated.

Welcome and good luck with your project. READ READ READ as many glass boat projects on here as you can.

eqppwqqep

Cadet

Wow, thanks! I went out and tried as best I could to review the motor. I have rebuilt a few motors, so I am not too shy around engines, but this is definitely a different animal. It did not have a cranking battery on it when I got it and the wire is definitely not standard, so I am thinking about pulling all of the wiring when I pop the halves.

Is the Evinrude 75 a good motor? I figured if it all goes south, the trailer and motor might get me a few dollars. (Model e75trlcte)

Great deal!!! That trailer looks decent and if it has good compression, that's a fantastic motor. I also like that style of older bass boat.

Sent you a PM on this

I'm no glass guy but that sounds like a plan to me. Most on here use plywood for their stringers but being only an inch tall I like your plan

I'd fill the nicks and holes with MarineTex and just paint the whole darn thing

Yes they do

Take off the rub rail. The two halves are usually screwed or riveted together. I would definitely pop the cap on this project. Makes things much easier.

I think it's worth it. It's a nice fishing rig and I think it will be great when you rebuild it. Probably pretty desirable also as used boats go.

Haha, probably not normal :p

I'm a tin boat guy so I don't do glass. From what I've seen on here the worst part is grinding out all the bad stuff. The rebuilding doesn't seem too bad or complicated.

Welcome and good luck with your project. READ READ READ as many glass boat projects on here as you can.

eqppwqqep

Cadet

Oops, btw, just checked and I don't have any PMs. Just to let you know.

Thanks again!@

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Whoops I sent it to fat fanny above by mistake!

That is a GREAT motor. Cleaned up and in great running condition I'd think it would be worth close to a grand by itself.

eqppwqqep

Cadet

Cleaned out the boat today. I scrubbed all of it with steel wool. Cleaned the outside of the motor as well.

After:
imag0033g.jpg

imag0034sv.jpg

imag0035x.jpg

imag0036f.jpg

imag0038t.jpg

imag0037w.jpg

I cleaned the splashwell, removed the rub rail, all the rotted carpet I could get to, cleaned the bilge and punched a hole throught the rotted deck to all me to rinse the hull out and dump out of the bilge drain hole. I don't know what I am looking at, so if you guys can point out any issues, I'd appreciate it. Also got the gas cap off with a pry bar and hammer. Last inspection on the boat was 2002, so I assume it has been off the water since 2002-2003.

Opened the gearcase today and NO oil came out. Bad or not bad?

shikard

Seaman Apprentice

From what I can see in the pics that doesn't look that bad. Replacing that floor shouldn't be to much of an issue. Check and see if you can get that motor running, if so I think you have got a great project on your hands...

john porter

Cadet

I have a Phantom bass boat that is laid out the exact same way yours is. I removed the top cap and am not fixing to rebuild stringers and transom. Will be watching your post to see how it comes out.
John

eqppwqqep

Cadet

Just kind of piddling until I have money to burn on this: I went outside and checked the motor some. I can turn the flywheel by hand (no wrench), and it gives equal resistance (feels that way). Is it normal to be able to turn the flywheel by hand. Also, spun the lower unit by hand in nuetral, put it in forward, turned flywheel and the shaft spun, put it in reverse and the shaft spun the other way. I might have lucked into a good motor?

eqppwqqep

Cadet

I have a Phantom bass boat that is laid out the exact same way yours is. I removed the top cap and am not fixing to rebuild stringers and transom. Will be watching your post to see how it comes out.
John
Are you planning to rivet the cap back on? I am thinking of just screwing it back on to the bottom...plenty of overlap.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd rivet it. Yes you should be able to turn the flywheel by hand.

john porter

Cadet

Took rivets out so I plan on riveting it back together. Don't know if my rail would fit back on with screw heads sticking out.

john porter

Cadet

If possible can you post a picture of your bilge pump area? I tore mine apart and never took a picture of it..LOL
Thanks,
John

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Nice boat! Once I get done with the boat I am working on now(see my thread below- tons of pics and useful info from a guy who has zero knowledge of boats:D). I have this idea that someday I want to find a fishing boat exactly like yours that I could get for little to nothing and fix up to use stricktly for fishing.

Again- I love the boat and will be following along!

Yeh- when you get to the point of putting the top and bottom back together you should rivet it.

From the pics it looks like the fiberglass on the cap and hull are in good shape too. And it looks like you got a pretty able helper there as well:)

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That is a good motor looks to be around an 83-84 model year. I had a 200 horse same year and it was a great motor, never left me anywhere although I did have to pull start it once:eek: Before you refill the lower with gear lube you need to get some new washers for the drain/vent plugs only a few bucks and should be replaced EVERY time either is removed. Fill it from the drain up till it seeps out the vent hole, pumps can be had at any marine store for around ten bucks and its the only way to go. pull the cowl off the powerhead clean everything up, remove the air silencer/carb cover and make sure nothing has made a home in the carbs or silencer. squirt a bit of two stroke into the plug holes and turn over by hand or with socket on flywheel nut. Clean and replace plugs (or buy new) mine used surface gap plugs which are very strange plugs thus cost more I'm not sure if yours does or not. If you pull them out and there is no electrode sticking down don't panic they are the surface gap type. Get a pair of muffs so you can put water to it from the hose, put a battery in it spray some premix into the carbs and see if she will fire. I would use a plastic gas can with premix in it so you know you are using clean fresh gas. Even if you need to use the existing fuel line with the primer bulb on it just flush it out a bit. On mine you would push the key in prior to turning it and that would engage the choke(you will hear a click) keep the key pushed in and give er a turn. Make sure though that the water is on before you do any of this cause if it does start it MUST have water to it. If no luck or it doesn't turn over you can always turn the key on and try and pull start it open the carbs up and spray some premix gas in there close them and try the pull start again. Don't run it until you get the lower refilled with lube. Try and get it running decent then you will better know how to proceed with the project. Good luck post back with more questions.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey great looking project! Gotta luv the price!:D I just got a bass boat too so I'll be watching to see how yours goes. Good luck!