1978 Bayliner Quartermaster restoration

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1978 Bayliner Quartermaster restoration

im jealous man!! i cant wait to close on my house so i can move all of my engine stuff into an open garage with more space to work on it!! but i like the progress! you will be running by summer

It isn't running yet! I hope I have her in the water by then.:). First you'll have to empty all the moving in boxes out of the garage. LOL!

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Lol that's what the downstairs living room is for can't wait to finish mine than come down to Portland and race ;) haha

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah that's what we all say.We'll see what your misses says. Lol. Your on. But once you win then I'll have to head up your way for some crabbing in the sound.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.
An overbore with new pistons is the way to go. I see lots of guys that run a deglazing hone through the bore and lap the valves by hand. All you get from that is oval holes with new round rings and poorly sealing valves without a tri angle grind.

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Your pics on the motor are great. It is really coming along. I just like to see things when they are freshly painted and look new :)

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

More Eye Candy.
Installed new pistons and rings today.
Installed Cam.

#2 piston going in.

002-9.jpg
[/IMG]

#4 Piston with new rings ready to go in.

004-8.jpg
[/IMG]

Checking clearance with plasti Gauge. All within spec.

006-7.jpg
[/IMG]

And Pistons, Cam and cam gear all installed.

009-7.jpg
[/IMG]

Now I have to get the head done. Hopefully here in the next couple of weeks.:)

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok. Time for some updates.Head has been done and installed.

003-9.jpg
[/IMG]
008-8.jpg
[/IMG]
006-8.jpg
[/IMG]

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Used 2 7/16 X 6" bolts as guide bolts to align head gasket and Head.

011-5.jpg
[/IMG]

012-3.jpg
[/IMG]

014-3.jpg
[/IMG]

Allright enjoy. I will post some more tommorow.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Love the progress buddy!! by the way we got approval on our house. so we will be closing in 1 month! after that its on! NEW PISTONS HERE I COME!! i love what u did with the motor i cant wait to see your maiden voyage video

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Love the progress buddy!! by the way we got approval on our house. so we will be closing in 1 month! after that its on! NEW PISTONS HERE I COME!! i love what u did with the motor i cant wait to see your maiden voyage video
Thanks. Congrats. Lots left to do yet.

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok more engine photo's. And just for those who are just tunning in. This is an AQ130D.

039-2.jpg
[/IMG]

040-2.jpg
[/IMG]

041-1.jpg
[/IMG]

042-1.jpg
[/IMG]

043-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Hope that my next set of engine pic's will be a video of the engine running. :D

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Solex PA44's getting refurbished.
This is the pile of parts after a overnight dip in carb cleaner.

048-1.jpg
[/IMG]

And a before and after.

037-3.jpg
[/IMG]

A couple of thing to note. The accelerator diaphram spring goes under the diaphram not on top as shown in several break down pictures. The other thing is that PB blaster worked lie a charm to free the accelerator pump nozzle, and Venturi.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

I know u are probably already on top of it but don't start the engine without that tube in the thermostat housing lol nice work ;) video video!!!

Steve@G

Cadet

Hi I am in the process of doing a restoration on a 73 quartermaster and I am looking for an OEM dash (gauges, switches, etc) I was wondering if you have any idea where I could pick one up I am totally striking out. Thanks a lot. The boat looks great!

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Steve, I believe you would get a better response if you posted a new Thread with that question. But as far as giving you an answer right away... good luck :) i dont know if you would be able to find an OEM Instrument Cluster i think your looking for, you could try old boat yards or ebay. best of luck to you

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Steve. 74Bayliner is right. Otherwise you can get most of the switches at an autoparts store.

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well... My engine is almost ready to start. Plan is to finish hooking things up in the AM and then if everything goes right. Fingers crossed. We will do the intial dial in. Then install it in the boat.:)

0422121834.jpg
[/IMG]

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

oh no.. im getting shivers down my spine... while you are going to be putting the engine together i will be enjoying the relaxation of fishing on opening day tommarow :) Please take video of how to tune it... that way i can watch the video when im ready to tune mine :)
cant wait for more pictures

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well here it is. Will post a better one once all the things are done that need to be done in order for it to run properly. Will fix water leak on the water pump tonight. Which is probably the cause of the over heat and the shortness of this video.

[video]http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/allbutwet/?action=view&current=123.mp4[/video]