1978 Bayliner Quartermaster restoration

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1978 Bayliner Quartermaster restoration

Just a little update. Well the first run ended with the dreded oil milk shake. Went out the next morning and pulled the dip stick after repairing the water leaks, and :facepalm:. So in my search I started by rechecking the head bolts and found #2 to be almost a turn out from torque. So I pulled the head after seeing a tatle tail sign that a small amount of leakage to the outside had occured. Yes I cleaned all the threads and torqued the bolts in sequence. When it comes to critical torques I'm a little fanatical to say the least. So much so that after reaching final torque I went through them 3 times just to make sure. So any how I changed the head gasket cleaning all the bolt threads again and checking each bolt for stretch. All good. Only thing I can figure is there must of been somthing on the thread.
So installed new plug wires hooked up the timing light and went for it again. Set the timing. Adjusted the idle. Noticed that it was running a little hot (180) so I pulled the thermostat. Which I bought new. Ran the engine again without it. Beautiful (160). So will replace the bad new thermostat. Decided now with it running at a normal temp range to run it a little checking the dip stick and pulling the oil fill cap. Just as I start feeling up. The dreaded froth appeared in the back of the oil fill cap. Sure enough watching the oil on the rocker it was starting to turn. A check of the head bolts only proved all to be tight still. Now I'm scratching my head. Did the machine shop miss something?
So I decieded to pull the oil cooler. Emptied the milk shake out of it and cleaned it up. Decided to run water through it as if it were on the motor.So I clamped a modified garden hose onto the inlet and let it run for about 5 to 10 minutes. Disconected the hose and tipped it on its side. sure enough there was water in the oil side. Did it one more time with the same result. Sothis morning I pulled the core and pressurized it without the housing. Sure enough we had bubbles. I then went through and started pressuring individual tubes. I found the center tube to be the culprit. So now to find a radiator shop that can repair it. And sorry for the length of this.

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok keep your fingers crossed. I took my oil cooler to a local repair outfit. Being alot more cautious I decided to check their work before installing the oil cooler. So glad I did. The original leak was repaired. But after hooking the garden hose up to it I again had water on the oil side. And to be sure that it was not leaking past the o-rings I did pressurize just the core. Aired and soaped it up, and sure enough 3 more different leaks. So not want to pay almost $700 for a new core I rolled the dice and bought a used one on E-bay. Air and water tested it tonight with Happy Happy results. So plan now is to install it Saturday mornning and do another run test. If all goes well. We will install the engine Saturday. Fingers crossed. :)

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

good luck buddy glad u found a new one... i didnt forget about u i kept an eye open but didnt find anything worth mentioning... Cant wait till it all is nice and running for u!

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, All went well. So here is a longer video............

[video]http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/allbutwet/?action=view&current=026.mp4[/video]

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

And so Sunday morning in she went. I removed the carbs to avoid any exspensive ooops!
engineinboat.jpg
[/IMG]
And gave it a little wash down after pulling her out of the back yard.

boatdriveway.jpg
[/IMG]

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

oh man chris!!! that looks great! congrats. i should be following close behind with the engine rebuild ! i will keep in touch to get info if i need it :)
awesome job man! LOVE IT

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! getting really eager now! Now it's a little more realalistic when I Stand at the Helm and go Vroooom! LOL.:D

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

haha! now that you stopped spending money on the boat. get a gopro cam like frisco! and Maiden voyage video... woohoo

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

haha! now that you stopped spending money on the boat. get a gopro cam like frisco! and Maiden voyage video... woohoo
Vlad that is funny! Still have allot to do. Lately I have been putting things back in. But I have also been into the wiring harness. Nothing drives me batty as much as quick crimp splices, and an over usage of butt connectors. One wire about 6' long had 3 but connectors in it. So into the spaggetti pile it went.
Also still have to build an engine cover. To which I'm open to any ideas. Im trying to decide whether or not to make it like the original. Or go custom.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah. i completely rebuilt my wiring harness with new wires.. Cost me about 90 bucks in marine grade wire and connectors etc.
But so much worth it when the OEM harness is 200+. its really easy if u need any assistance PM me, but you seem like the type of person who will get it right away lol. by the way i had a wire like that. 6 foot long with 3 connectors lol! my before:
099_wireharnessbefore.jpg

and my after:
100_wireharnessafter.jpg

As far as the engine cover. I did think about it "ALOT!" a few months ago but i decided not to stress and i will cross that bridge when i get there.
I decided i would turn my boat into a Sundeck. give me some extra storage room above the batterys etc. the back bench would seat 4 people, and 2 helm seats.

But on the other hand i thought about doing back to back with engine cover custom made from fiberglass mould. but i decided that would be a little tooo much work.

Pinwheel

Cadet

Great looking paint job! I was going to paint mine but several people have suggested gelcoat. Now that some time has passed, how is the paint holding up, especially the bottom coat? Any thoughts on paint v gelocat?

Used Pettit Easpoxy for the topside and for the boot. If you haven't bought your paint yet; buy something else. ( I had already bought all of my paint by the time I had seen all the complaints.) I do love the shine. But the paint is soft and when sanding it tends to roll and ball up. Not perfect but I will live with it.
On the bottom I used the Pettit 4700 epoxy with Pettit vivid white. This I am happy with. Most of the scuffs from putting the boat back on the trailer just wiped off.[/QUOTE]

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome aboard Pinwheel. Well we haven't splashed her yet. But sitting on the trailer it's holding up ok. Have noticed some of it come off where the Bow touches the front rest on the trailer. So it's still not hard enough. If you read some of the other threads you will find that there are alot of guys who have had good or even great luck with the Interlux paints. I can tell you that I did use Interlux 990 epoxy gray for my deck which is used commercially. And has yet to scratch with me walking on it. I plan on coating it again after I get my seats in. I want to mix some blast sand with it for a non skid in the walking paths. As it is slick when wet. And Thanks

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Backrest / Headrest before covering.

0626121737.jpg
[/IMG]

New engine cover I built from scratch using a picture I found online.

0701121425.jpg
[/IMG]

And a test fit. You can see the headrest and other pieces I have covered.

0701121840.jpg
[/IMG]

Lots of loose ends left yet.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Dog house looks great.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah I totally spaced on that yesterday my friend. I apologize... I have bad memory which is why i asked you to ask me again..
Plus!! mine looks nothing like yours! this is great

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dog house looks great.

Thank you EZ. I will post some more pics of it when it is finished.

74bayliner thats ok. I just had a rythem going and by the time; I looked at the time. It was well past time to conntact you. How did the crabbing go?

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

I know how it is with momentum..

I limited out.. no red rock. but got 5 dungies.. my buddy got nothing.. felt kinda bad. but its all good!! cant wait to see your boat on the water

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Me Too! Congrats.

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok I see it has been way too long since my last update. Have been busy with everthing else. Engine cover received two coats of epoxy paint just for good measure. Still have to get 3 yards of vinyl to finish it off.
I have a small list of things left to do yet. On the plus side I did get all new steering for Christmas.
The wiring has been mostly completed.
Right now I'm hoping for a June or July launch.