Aluminum Hull Leaks

Just Sold

Recruit
Hi,

Hoping that you restoration guys can help me.

I have a 1972 14' Starcraft Falcon that I purchased recently. We had it out for its first voyage yesterday in NH and it performed well but.......

So here is the problem .... some of the rivets and a couple of seams are leaking. I had done a water in the hull test at home with only 2 small leaks. All the flexing on the water just showed me where the real problems are. :eek: None are major and only a couple dripped to the ground when I re-tested with water in the hull upon returning home.

So without removing the floors what will work best to seal these leaks until I can remove the floors this winter and work on it in more detail?
I will install a bilge pump but that is ok to a point and does not address the problems.

bananaboater

Ensign
Re: Aluminum Hull Leaks

First welcome to the SC cult. To be a bona fide member you must post pics.

It is a bit of a problem if you don't work from the inside. You could try 3M 4200 on the rivets but that might be hard to get off later. You implied that a bilge pump was not the solution. Is that because the leaks are bad or some other reason? And you said there are seams leaking. Are there cracks in the hull? If not it is leaky rivets along the "seam."

Until you can get the decking out to address the problem from the inside I would just go with the bilge pump, even get one with auto float switch.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats!

Water testing is almost not good....it stresses the hull in the opposite direction and often leaves many holes missed.

If you have a deck in your boat..... you probably have foam under the deck and all you are doing is soaking it down..... maybe adding weight to the boat.

Starcrafts have a one piece bottom...... and basically a seam running around the outside.

There really is no shortcut to repairing a leak properly.

Some people have used 3m5200 on the exterior but if that abrades off your leak is back.

You should consider lifting the deck and doing it right..... use a friend and re-buck your rivets then use a treatment of gluvit and it will not leak again.

Trust me if anyone knows starcrafts and their construction..... you are in the right place. We have dozens of people re-building them (including myself).

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

yep rebuck the rivets and gluvet can't go wrong there....

it'll be worth in the long run..

Just Sold

Recruit

Thank you to everyone.

I agree that rebucking the rivets will be the repair I do. Then Gluvet and a new floor. Since it is not leaking seriously at this point and I have limited budget and time to remove the floor I will be installing a bilge pump that a friend is giving me.

For my next project on the boat I will be getting the seats redone and they want some $$ to do that. So saving the pennies will be a priority.

This site is great and thanks again. I did post some photos as Bannanboater suggested.

robert graham

Admiral

I have a 1983 riveted aluminum hull canoe and I apply 3M Yellow Weatherstrip adhesive on the outsides of the rivets and it works great, flexible and very tough, usually go over hull every year or so, take a wire brush to weak looking rivets and apply a small blob of the stuff. It also seals the rivets and keeps salt water out, very easy fix!

Bifflefan

Commander

I think Don S.' signature says it all

"Why is there never time to do it right, but always time to do it again"

I do appologize if that is not his signature, but someone has it.