Starcraft SuperSport Restoration (18 footer)

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, after two starchiefs (one that was ruined by treated plywood and one that i decided to put aside) i have found the one i want to make a go of it with. I got her home today and went right to work.:)

Also i gutted her today. Going to get it washed out full tomorrow. EZ it had an interesting touch in the stern. it had two sliding doors that hid the gas tank and mess under the splash well where someone had melted down all of the wires.

I'm not sure of the year model, but the Hull ID# is STRA13121075-F6

Here's a few pics and the progess. The negative side is that the floor was so rotten i have no boards for templates to go back with.

Attachments

• Home.jpg
    Home.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Trashed.jpg
    Trashed.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Gutted.jpg
    Gutted.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 7

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starcraft SuperSport Restoration (18 footer)

Measure carefully and make templates out of cardboard first. The bow area is the only complicated cut, the rest is pretty easy..

Triton II

Commander

Good luck with number three BB! :D

TII

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It is a 1975 by the HIN

Yup those sliding doors were "standard" ;)

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

same year/size as mine waiting for me to start it, except mines a i/o....
ill be watching this thread! so make sure theres always someone holding the camera! ;)

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is a 1975 by the HIN

Yup those sliding doors were "standard" ;)

Yep, THat's kinda what i was thinking from that number. I looked at the link to the Brochures from EZ but there was no 75 link.

BTW, how much gluvit will i need and where's the best place to get it?

Last edited:

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

BTW, how much gluvit will i need and where's the best place to get it?

for what ive read, a quart should do if only sealing seams and rivets.
i found it to be cheaper at a local marina, since there no shipping fees.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Glad you got a thread started. Your boat is more complete than mine was when I started. You'll be happy to have some of those aluminum trim pieces that I was missing. Nice boat!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice rig Brad, glad to see you keeping after it and finally found a hull ready to be restored. I got gluvit from iboats, their shipping is cheaper than other sites.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, i've inpected my transom and i'll be removing it all and starting over. Either somone ran the boat with the transom rotten or they severely overpowered her. It has a bend that indicates the torque was too much.

Oh yes, the transom knee had been broken and repaired on one of the bolt flanges to the transom, but the weld had broken. Which i had taken a knee from my "scrap" starchief to put in her.

While looking for gluvit and epoxy i found a place about 2 hours south of here that i could get it all. The guy there said that he would not go back with wood at all for any reason. He suggeste coosa board. It's about 140 a sheet. I know that most are having success with the wood and expoxy. If i could avoid the epoxy it might be worth the extra $. I know it most proabaly comes down to a preference. I am aslo aware of the glass guys using the coosa.

Any help here?

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry I have no experience with coosa...but did want to say nice looking potential :cool:....looking forward to watching your progress!

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looks like a nice project. $140 a sheet for a floor sounds crazy but then you have more humidity/wet to deal with than I'm used to. If the boat's stored inside and you can dry the thing out good after each use, I would think wood (sealed with epoxy) would be fine (and a lot cheaper).

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a nice project. $140 a sheet for a floor sounds crazy but then you have more humidity/wet to deal with than I'm used to. If the boat's stored inside and you can dry the thing out good after each use, I would think wood (sealed with epoxy) would be fine (and a lot cheaper).

I should have clarifed that the main intention for the coosa would be the transom. I would probably go with the epoxy over exterior 5/8 or 3/4 plywood. I will not be able to store the boat indoors, but i will surely get a boat cover for it.

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gotcha. I googled using the keywords: coosa transom. Interesting stuff.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Looks like a fun project! Man, there sure are a whole lot of SS's around here!! I wonder if I need to get my hands on one just to fit in around here??? Ah, been a dork my whole life, no sense in changing that up now.

Cheers!

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I may have to make a trip to the coast in the morning. i called around and found the coosa board at 140.00 and the arcua plywood (3/4") at 39.99 a sheet. I'll need to make my mind up on the transom today and i'll most likely use the arcua for all other wooden components. The only epoxy they have is a Marpro brand. It is a 5:1 ration. Has anyone used this stuff? I'm just wondering would it be as good as the stuff from some one like US composites?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I may have to make a trip to the coast in the morning. i called around and found the coosa board at 140.00 and the arcua plywood (3/4") at 39.99 a sheet. I'll need to make my mind up on the transom today and i'll most likely use the arcua for all other wooden components. The only epoxy they have is a Marpro brand. It is a 5:1 ration. Has anyone used this stuff? I'm just wondering would it be as good as the stuff from some one like US composites?

Hey Bro!

So are you going to need two of those coosa board deals for your transom? If you are that would put you at the $300 range:eek: That is a budget breaker! I am betting you'd do just as well with exterior grade or marine grade sealed up with epoxy, eh!

Cheers

bananaboater

Ensign

Hi Brad,

I went with MAS brand epoxy. It does not "bloom" making re coating easier. The bloom has to be removed before the next coat.

Albert

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Brad,

I went with MAS brand epoxy. It does not "bloom" making re coating easier. The bloom has to be removed before the next coat.

Albert

Mr. Albert, i think i'm going to order my epoxy from US composites. I've used them in the past. I didn't care for the MarPro from what i read. (BTW i'm looking for a 90-125 hp motor if you see one down your way)

I was down your way today to look at a motorhome someone wanted to trade me for my starchief. It was a piece of junk, but the trip wasn't wasted. I found some Gluvit, MEK and 5200. As for the coosa board, the glass guys can keep it. it is a very lightweight brittle material that relies on the resin and cloth for its strenth. I'm going to use some exterior (maybe arcua) plywood with epoxy for my floor and transom. I belive i'll use a bed liner material to paint the floor and gun walls.

Bottom paint, i blieve i'll follow the path of EZ and go with easypoxy on the bottom. I didn't purchase it today due to the other expenditures. Besides all that, they two places i went did not have the a very wide color selection.

I'm going to fill her with water just to the floor line and check for rivet leaks where it can tighten them and then apply the gluvit. I hope to go to work on the floor next week. SO MUCH TO DO, so little time.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

What are you guys using to laminate the two 3/4" pieces for the transom?