1968 Thunderbird and 1972 Mercury 1400 project

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class
http://i43.tinypic.com/v8eknq.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/3481w1w.jpg

Been lurking here for a while, picked this up yesterday. A '68 Thunderbird (I think) and a '72 Merc 1400. Motor won't rev much above idle according to PO. I have never owned a boat but I am moderately handy and I notice than despite appearing to be otherwise well-cared for just about every ground strap/cable on that motor is corroded to heck. Also a slight carb leak.

Also needs steering. The wheel and rack and pinion are present, but PO says he cut the cables because something was stuck.

I'm sure I will fill this thread with idiotic questions over the next few weeks but I love to tinker and am hoping to have a lot of fun with this.

Dave
Manassas, VA

Last edited by a moderator:

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: N00b with a new garage filler/time waster!

welcome to iboats! let the fun begin... should be a fun resto
Just a heads up, you might want to resize your photos to 640 x 480

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats!

Picture info here we prefer 640 x 480 size http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=285637

Hmmmmm Killington..... I live near Killington!

Nice looking boat. This is the restoration section where we will guide you through hull and trailer stuff...... we have an engine section for the Merc's (nice tower of power BTW ;)) here http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25 You need to get a manual for the motor.

Now as far as the hull since the engine is tilted up.... you need to put your weight on the prop section and look at the transom for movement. This will test the transom strength. I am leery of the plate I see that has been added to the transom.

Once again welcome!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Cool boat. Welcome to iboats and thanks for sharing your project.

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

welcome to iboats! I too have a garage filler!

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Steering is one of the first orders of business, besides a battery. Gotta figure out what size to put in. Anyway, PO told me he removed the cables because the wheel would not budge. It's some sort of old rack and pinion. This is all I can see on the front of the motor.

20pca6o.jpg

I have WAY too long searching the Mercury forums for a picture of what the steering SHOULD look like with no results. Unfortunately I have zero frame of reference. I'm thinking maybe this was a splashwell cable mount? (edit: I should add that there is only an empty hole in the splashwell at the moment)

Since I may be starting from zero here, I appreciate any suggestions as to the parts I should be looking at. I was going to pick up a Teleflex system but given the possible absence of mounting hardware I'm not sure where to start.

Dave

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It looks like I'm seeing a normal steering tube on that motor. You should be able to just use a standard system. You may be missing the steering link bar. Does this pic help at all?

http://www.inkbox.net/whaler/parts/steering-arm.jpg

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I really like the lines (that I can see) on that boat! She has a wonderful side profile!

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I really like the lines (that I can see) on that boat! She has a wonderful side profile!

Thanks! I like it too. It's very "clean" which I like. The only jarring thing is that half-removed antifouling crud that I need to remove. Then I have to decide whether to go black or white below the waterline.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep. I think that's what you need.

thanks!

Any suggestions on which Teleflex to get are also appreciated :D

I have to sell one of my guns to pay for this stuff :mad: I HATE selling guns!

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Today's update...

-ordered some ground straps to replace the disintegrating ones on the Merc now

- found out the starter wire is NLA. WTF? That's sort of a random part to have been NLA. I'll have to dig one up from Summit Racing or maybe make one. Mine is corroded to beat heck.

- contacted previous owner because the guy I bought the boat from just can't find the title. Found out he rebuilt the carbs and did a lot of floor work.

- going to Wal Mart to pick up a battery and see if I can get it to idle. Already picked up a muff.

:D

Dave

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have the PO apply for a duplicate title. I wouldn't spend to much money on it until you have legal ownership.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have the PO apply for a duplicate title. I wouldn't spend to much money on it until you have legal ownership.

PO never titled or registered it, but "his" PO did. I have contacted him.

Got the battery in last night, hooked it up...and nothing. Jumped the starter and it would move some but not spin over freely.

When I picked up the boat the guy had had it sputtering before I got there (it was warm), but he said that it had just stopped even turning over. No clue what that could be. Time to start replacing wires. There are a couple big grounds and the starter cable that are really corroded.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Took half of Saturday to do the following:

- inspect/dremel/clean every single terminal and wiring connection I could reach on the engine. Lots of nastiness. Replaced the solenoid to starter cable.

- cleaned the engine

- inspected all the plugs, wiped them off, and shot a few squirts of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and hand-turned it over a few times

- opened the Mercontrol box and was astounded to see what seemed to be the grease from the factory. It was like dry tar. A trip through the dishwasher and a lot of mineral spirits took care of it.

- I was hoping that maybe the clean control box and connections would make this puppy start, but no luck yet. Tonight I will replace the ugly battery terminals

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1968 Thunderbird and 1972 Mercury 1400 project

- finished with control box and re-installed
- replaced old battery terminals which were complete garbage
- finished tinkering with the motor, applying dialectic grease, etc.
- put new gas in it

She came to life! Sputtered for a few minutes and eventually idled OK on muffs. I am still trying to figure out the Mercontrol unit...with the throttle in the middle it runs OK, when I back it off it stumbles and dies, and when I advance it it runs better. But it does not seem to be running at too many RPM (maybe 1000-1100 at the upper end), so I wonder if it will go higher when in gear??

Was going to work on tach, but I got under the dash and all the terminals are corroded and the wiring is a disaster. It's all going to come out and get redone.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

- drained/filled lower unit with Quicksilver
- removed and threw all console wiring/switches in the trash
- removed junk steering gear/wheel/cable
- removed instruments. water pressure seems to have some silt or rust in it and reads high right now. the rest may or may not be functional. deciding what to do with 'em.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

- prepped all screw holes and surface scratches for M-tex
- used my dremel's cutting wheel to remove some vintage, rusting accessories
- discovered that the underfloor gas tank appears to still exist, because (1) it's grounded, and (2) there is a crusty outlet hose coiled in the bilge area. I wish I knew how to test it/clean it.
- cleaned up the gauges...speedo and tach seem to be fine, the water pressure one was all silted/rusted up, which I was able to blast out, but the needle sits at 5psi unconnected. gonna replace that one.
- bought a new bow light
- patched 65 screw holes and scratches (mostly screw holes) with M-tex, I'll let it cure for 48 hours
- ordering new steering gear tomorrow