fixing hole in aluminum hull

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice
while replacing worn rivets in my hull I came across a hole larger than the 3/16 rivets would fill. What is the best way to fill this hole? Is there an epoxy or J&B strong enuf to fill the hole or should I rivit a patch in place? The boat will be in the water for the season & I'd rather do it the right way. I cannont get to the top of the hold so whatever I do will have to be done from the bottom only. Thanks to all you smart guys out there

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander
Re: fixing hole in aluminum hull

Well not claiming to be smart, heck just looking at the tubs I've bought will tell you that lol...How much bigger is the hole? You could possibly drill it to 1/4 inch and re-rivet and add some 5200 to the rivet before inserting...jb weld works ok but you need to be sure it gets in behind some skin to bite good....tig weld it is another fix and probably the best...above or below the waterline? Sure more will chime in soon enough...

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

below the waterline. Any help or sugesstions is greatly appreciated

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What is the best way to fill this hole? Is there an epoxy or J&B strong enuf to fill the hole or should I rivit a patch in place?

i did all of the above.
prepped and cleaned the hull
used marine-tex to patch the hole(i even used a small pc some fiber glass cloth to hold it together)
then made a patch out of alum drilled and used closed end revits with some 5200 sandwiched between the hull and patch

i did this from the inside

if its not too big you could try to drill it out and use a stainles steel carriage bolt(it will look like a rivet from the outside) with a big washer and some 5200.

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

thanks to all. I found Fasenal carries 1/4" rivets and just ordered some. This should be the easiest/strongest way to seal the hole, I'll dip in 3M 5200 and rivet in place

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Gluvit seems to be a favorite sealant here, you might want to consider putting a coat over all the rivets you fixed, it is paint-able I believe, you can do a search here if interested...most us coat w/gluvit from the inside as we already have them apart, but some do the outside with just as fine of results.

Ober51

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would weld a patch/rivet a patch, gluvit on the inside, and Steel Flex on the oustide bottom of the hull. SF is made by FASCO and is THE stuff to use on riveted jon boats. If you search tinboats.net, youll see how widely used it is and how well it's held up. Ive used it on all three jons and would even use it on a new jon as well.

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

while replacing worn rivets in my hull I came across a hole larger than the 3/16 rivets would fill. What is the best way to fill this hole? Is there an epoxy or J&B strong enuf to fill the hole or should I rivit a patch in place? The boat will be in the water for the season & I'd rather do it the right way. I cannont get to the top of the hold so whatever I do will have to be done from the bottom only. Thanks to all you smart guys out there

A couple of ways, if you could get a truss head bolt that may be the easiest way to go. 1/2 wide head maybe the ticket (Fastenal could order them) That coupled with some 5200 and it will never leak.

Or you could get another piece of AL and patch from the inside using 5200.

I'm a big fan of the bolt method.

Good Luck

T

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

some great ideas. My thanks to all. That is what makes this site so valuable to DIY's. My deck is solid but when the time comes for replacement I'm going to use Gluvit on the inside. Presently not going to barrier coat the hull for this year. Want to make sure all rivets are watertight. I'll pull boat every few weeks and power wash. Ordered 1/4 " rivets from Fastental going to patch this way for now. If this doesn't work I'll replace with a riveted aluminum patch. Is the aluminum you pick up at Home Depot/Lowes OK to use?

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

old traffic signs are great for boat patches, i got some old ones from a parks guy and removed the reflective stuff. also check out a metal dealer or a recycler they usually sell scraps .090 is the gauge i used