Elmers Fiberglass Resin

Chuck Gibson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I seen a can of Elmers Fiberglass Resin in a store today. It is the same logo as you see on Elmers glue. Has anyone here ever tried this or can you guys give some information on it?
Thanks!

Shife

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Elmers Fiberglass Resin

Generic polyester resin with an Elmer's label slapped on the can. It is unwaxed, so you will need to do one of three things for it to cure properly:

1. Vacuum bag.

2. Seal the part in plastic.

3. Add surfacing wax to the mix during the final layer of laminate (easiest).

You will not find surfacing wax at a box store. You will need to either source it through a composites shop or online.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

There is no need to do anything to seal the surface, most of the time wax is pretty much a waste of time and money with resin.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

Non-waxed polyester resin will not typically fully cure in the presence of air at normal temperatures. The finished surface will be tacky and difficult to sand/fair.

The need for wax depends on the application of the product.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The surface will stay tacky for short period of time, but this will go away soon.

If you plan to sand and fair it, it isn't all that common to use a fine paper, you normally start with something coarse enough that clogging the paper isn't much of an issue.

Waxed resin is rarely used for anything and covering it with something to have the surface cure tack free is done even less often.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

The surface will stay tacky for short period of time, but this will go away soon.

If you plan to sand and fair it, it isn't all that common to use a fine paper, you normally start with something coarse enough that clogging the paper isn't much of an issue.

Waxed resin is rarely used for anything and covering it with something to have the surface cure tack free is done even less often.

Polyester laminating resin (unwaxed) and polyester finishing resing (waxed) are two different things with different purposes and reasons for use. I'm not trying to argue, just educate.

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Polyester laminating resin (unwaxed) and polyester finishing resing (waxed) are two different things with different purposes and reasons for use. I'm not trying to argue, just educate.

ondarvr's knows what he is saying and says what is practical and works. i tend to take heed to what the man writes as it is spot on truth and educated enough.

RC

Chuck Gibson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is surprising. I was expecting to hear that this product would not work. So this would be OK to use for small repairs? I have read on this forum that other resins such as bondo or other department store type resins would absorb water. Thanks for the input!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

All resins will sort of absorb water, even epoxy.

There are only a few companies that make resin, small companies and ones that only sell small amounts of resin buy it from the these manufacturers and slap their label on it. So what comes in the Elmers can is most likely used to make boats in some plant also.

The problem is that some of these resins may have a very fast gel time, or may be the "no drip" (just very thick) type, both of these can be hard to use in some applications.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

ondarvr's knows what he is saying and says what is practical and works. i tend to take heed to what the man writes as it is spot on truth and educated enough.

RC

I'm sure that ondarvr is very knowledgeable. However, I'm not a fan of broad generic advice.

jonesg

Admiral

Any of the generic labled resins I've seen at box stors have been waxed.
I saw the Elmers but haven't tried it.

I had one gal of waxed that I was mixing with unwaxed resin just to get rid of it, darn if there wasn't enough wax in that one gal to convert a case of unwaxed. I got it from home depot. Its kinda thick too.

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

In my experience, the box store resins are harder to work with and less predictable then a good quality resin from a specialty supplier. I bought the poly resin for my boat a real fiberglass shop and the difference is night and day with both flow and working time.

Chuck Gibson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Many of the resins I have seen in stores are not marked "finishing or laminated" or "waxed and unwaxed". How do you know what you are getting. I have also noticed this same problem with markings on websites.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

Many of the resins I have seen in stores are not marked "finishing or laminated" or "waxed and unwaxed". How do you know what you are getting. I have also noticed this same problem with markings on websites.

Without tracking down a data sheet for the product you will have a hard time getting a straight answer.

US Composites sells only unwaxed resin. They also sell fresh MEKP and surfacing wax at very reasonable prices.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Everyone has their own opinion on waxed vs. unwaxed. I use unwaxed laminating resin, and add surfacing agent as necessary if I know that I want to get right into sanding it. Just out of curiosity, what type of small repair are you using it for? That might make a bit of difference, because as ondarvr mentioned, these resins are sometimes designed to perform in different ways. You can adjust shrink, flex, thixotropy etc.
Here is an article titled, "Elmers fiberglass resin sucks." Could be worth a read, but I don't have any experience with it one way or another.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

This is surprising. I was expecting to hear that this product would not work. So this would be OK to use for small repairs? I have read on this forum that other resins such as bondo or other department store type resins would absorb water. Thanks for the input!

Yes Chuck it will work for small repairs ....... most absorb water but we have ways to fix that. Whatever you do... do not use automotive body filler ;)

Chuck Gibson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just out of curiosity, what type of small repair are you using it for?

I have got a few small repairs to make on a sailboat but I am learning/practicing to replace the stringers and transom in a 16' tri-hull. I will start a new thread on that titled something like "repair gelcoat before painting?" Please help me when it is posted, I am trying to stay on topic. I was hoping I could find a local supplier of fiberglass resin but here around Dallas TX it don't look like it is going to happen.