Painting Clearcoat over Gelcoat

Llunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well,

After 2 attempts at getting my gel-coat looking absolutely brilliant the shine will just not stay. After a month or so it looks horrible.

I have wet-sanded in my attempts until i can't wet-sand no more. used Meguiars compounds to try and restore that clean and shiny gelcoat look(with a high speed buffer) and then polish and wax it(with a porter cable). It looks good for a few days and then it goes right back to kind of a dusky look.

I assume the life of the gel-coat is at the end of its term and either needs to be replaced or painted over.

1. Can you paint "CLEARCOAT ONLY" over the existing Gel-coat?
2. or should i try and paint Gel-coat back over the existing Gel-coat? --although I noticed when making some small repairs with gel-coat if you get it in spots where the prep wasn't done it will peel---and peel badly. Doesn't seem like gel-coat will bond with gel-coat??
3. Is clearcoat the best choice to go with to put that glossy shine back on the boat and if so --which brand or type?

Thanks Guys

Bobby

ps. the boat is a 1997 Nitro Bass boat with METAL FLAKE and yes i have sprayed Metal flake on with so-so results but you do notice as i knew you would!!!

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant
Re: Painting Clearcoat over Gelcoat

I'm not an expert with painting so wait for others to chime in in my opinion
I would give Poli glow a shot 1st here is a link Its a water based acrylic that lasts for 12 months supposedly.it comes as a complete kit, I know others have used it and love it

As far as clear coating over it, you can paint directly over Gel Coat so I don't see why you can't shoot it with clear you do have to make sure it is completely de-waxed and spotless clean. I would use something like interlux 202 or prepsol

Good luck

Llunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

interesting product--anyone care to comment on the poli glow? anyonelse use it? what about clear coat--anyone have suggestions for type of clearcoat to use ?

Thanks for the help--might have to try the product--but am curious if your able to polish and wax after the product has been on the boat for awhile??

I would not want to have to always re-apply poli-glow when it starts to look a little dirty when i can use a little polish and wax and bring back the shiny look

Comments?

Llunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well by the lack of comments i assume this product it not used much or has not been used much by anyone in these forums???

Would really like to hear from anyone that has had experience in using this product.

Llunker

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

well by the lack of comments i assume this product it not used much or has not been used much by anyone in these forums???

Would really like to hear from anyone that has had experience in using this product.

Llunker

Hey Lunker, I know Vegasphotoman used it and the boat came out great. Also, some of my friends down at the dock use it and swear by it. I have seen old chalky boats look like they where repainted after using the stuff and it does last. Hopefully others will chime in with their opinion

Bondo

Staff member

anyone care to comment on the poli glow? anyonelse use it? what about clear coat--anyone have suggestions for type of clearcoat to use ?

Ayuh,... I donno about Poli-glow, but I know you Won't like the results of Clearcoat paintin' it....

Llunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You don't say what year this boat is but I suspect the problem has been caused by UV exposure. (As opposed to oxidation.) With UV the issue is that the Gel Coat breaks down fairly deep and you have to remove (sand) it down to solid Gel Coat. In some cases the damage goes all the way through the Gel Coat and it can't be corrected, or as in your case it will look good for a short period of time but when exposed to UV (sun light) it continues to break down and looks faded and chalky.

I don't know that Clear Coat will gain you anything other than "shiny chalk" over time. UV will go through the Clear Coat given time. I see a lot of the bass boats where the gel coat has faded under the clear coat and the clear coat itself is fine and even has a shine to it.

I am thinking your best option (lowest cost) may be a quality paint job.

Bubba--take a look up at the original start of the thread at the bottom--it says my boat is a 1997 Nitro Bass Boat.

Thanks Guys for the responses-=--- After looking at many threads and reading even more horror stories on the net--it looks as though Clearcoating the Boat is for sure NOT THE BEST way to go. As over time(1-2years) the clearcoat will probably yellow out and i will be pissed i did it.

Might have to give that Poli-glow stuff a try. I had oxidation at one time when i first bought the boat and never since--After i did the job on her last summer of days and days of wet-sanding till my arms almost fell off. Then polished out all the swirl marks that the wet-sanding caused and finished it off with a nice carnuaba wax. Like i said it looks beautiful for a couple months and then gets that faded look to it --where i have to keep giving her more polish and wax.

I think with every polish and wax job--i am just slowly eating up the Gel-coat and over time i might not have any gel-coat left.

Does anyone know what type of maintenance is needed for poli-glow?

1. do you need to keep it polished or waxed for the poli glow to look good?
2. do you just use soap and water on it?
3. how many coats--10 really?
4. how often do you have to apply it--every 6 months?

Thanks Guys