West System - Epoxy Resin - Dust?!

karl010203

Recruit
Hi All

I have cut and glassed some ply rudders for a beach catamaran.

I have used the West system - Epoxy Resin.

The issue though is that I have a great looking gloss finish - but seems to be dust in it... i even sanded back, cleaned garage spotless, and did again with the same result.

It is nearly a mirror finish but unfortunately little specks - which I am guessing are dust - over the top - I thought they may have been bubbles also really not sure.

Any thoughts or help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Karl

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: West System - Epoxy Resin - Dust?!

I have a great looking gloss finish - but seems to be dust in it... i even sanded back, cleaned garage spotless, and did again with the same result.

It is nearly a mirror finish but unfortunately little specks - which I am guessing are dust - over the top - I thought they may have been bubbles also really not sure.
If it's air coming out of the epoxy mix as it sets, vacuum bagging might be the answer (WEST, MAS, System 3, RAKA all have the procedure instructions), though I hate to suggest taking one more pass at it.

If these specks are right at the surface could they be gnats or no-seeums?

Will compounding and polishing remove the specks?

I've gotten some good ideas from the wood strip canoe and kayak crowd before. - http://www.laughingloon.com/epoxy.html

glassed.gif

Another group where you might find the answer - Wooden Boat Forum - http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload

karl010203

Recruit

I am wondering if it is my technique:

1. Maybe I should be rolling it, instead of a brush
2. Maybe I am putting too much on
3. Potentially I am not mixing it for long enough, as the most recent coat was worse than the original and I would have thought was dust free

Any additional thoughts on how to get a perfect finish appreciated.

THanks

Karl

Free Bird

Cadet

Try buffing them out with 3M Finesse-It compound.

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any additional thoughts on how to get a perfect finish appreciated.

Transparent epoxy does take some practice, but I've never encountered this problem.

Dust falling from the rafters? Has it been windy or do you live where trucks rumble by often? (grasping at straws now)

I guess there's always an email to WEST (include some pictures)

Last thought - the epoxy could be kicking too fast and you may want to use one of the slower ones.

karl010203

Recruit

A friend suggested maybe it is too thick and needs thinning down - the outside is setting before the inside and this is pushing it up - not sure on this one.

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class

A friend suggested maybe it is too thick and needs thinning down - the outside is setting before the inside and this is pushing it up - not sure on this one.
Better check what WEST says about thinning. It's generally not recommended.

You really should involve WEST's tech advisors - you're getting way too many (including mine) guesstimates here.