• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy Stick Steering, home made

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy Stick Steering, home made

Easy Stick Steering.

OK, I had this 1950ís 14 ft Starcraft, and a 25 hp Evinrude electric start. What was I going to do with it?

Using it alone with tiller, all it would do was stand on the
    Transom. Needs forward controls. Ezy glide stick steering is almost $400.

Well I decide, to join new and old technology.

Cable Pulley Steering, and Stick Steering. I am not the first to do this, as I have seen, small crab boats with it.

It can be done in the center, as I have done. Or on the side.

You start with an aluminum, mounting/swivel plate attached to the hull. Then thru bolt you stick to the mount. It should move freely. Now you have to build a guide for the stick. Just aluminum stock, with a spacer on each end.

You will need 6 pulleys, and mounts. Only 4 of these http://www.iboats.com/Steering-Cable...-view_id.38768

Cable, (Lowes) and the 2 smaller pulleys for the motor connection

You also need 2 eyebolts, one on motor, one on stick.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Re: Easy Stick Steering, home made

more pics.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

two thumbs up !
      The Hull Extension Thread
      great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
      November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Cool, be great for maneuvering in the shallow's.
        Cheers...Kenny
        sigpic

My recent projects...
        1961 Starcraft 18' Holiday - Sold
        http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=364883
        1979 Imperial 17' runabout - Sold
        http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=324091

Comment

yes it is, you can stand there and see the fish beds.
          FLORIDA GATORS
          TEBOW Country

Comment

awesome!

you must take a video of this in action. it just looks too neat. I would personally add a handle bar

now i am just waiting for the thread when someone takes the idea of the total gym and applies it to a remote steering setup

Comment

I like it! Might even try it on my little fiberglass. Thanks for the Idea.

Comment

Working...
              X