1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED w/Pics

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I'm a little faraway.....hehe but yup could stay here for sure. That's a purty boat! Even if it is t t t t a beer can.:joyous:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ohhhh, Me Lykes the Yellow Jacket but I don't think I can get all the Grandkids in it!!! I think the ONLY thing the Admiral is gunna EVEN consider approving is a Pontoon an I just can seem to get excited about on of em yet!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
I think you should stick w the LS family and grab an LS Cruisemaster mothership :)

And the collaborate w/ Archbuilder on a 'toon rehab

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ok, me and the Admiral attempted to splash the BF yesterday! Long Story Short. LOTS of BAD things happened. Corjen had to listen to me WHINE so he KNOWS!!!! I tell you guys all the time I AM AN OLD DUMB OKIE and now HE KNOWS FOR SURE!!! All I will say is Wind was blowing HARD out of the south and I was on a North Ramp. Major White caps were making an 18ft pontoon boat bounce about 2ft up and down at the dock and I was a bit concerned, but I launched her anyway. BIG MISTAKE. Especially with the PLUG OUT!!! SEE, I told you I'm an OLD DUMB OKIE!!!! The Admiral will gladly vouch for it too!!! She told me it was too windy to launch such a small boat but did I listen???? She also asked me if the plug was in, to which I answered YES!!! (It was when we left the house) :facepalm::blue::rolleyes: It's just to detailed to tell you why it wasn't when I said it was. Luckily I got it Back in before she went down and the only good thing...She's back home and NOT at the bottom of the LAKE!!!! No pics so it Didn't Happen RIGHT????
At least I've got that out of my system and it WON'T ever happen again. Maybe I should just work on boats and not actually PLAY with them????:doh::noidea:

Like they say "Those that Have and those that are gunna !!!"

I HAVE!!!

Guess we'll try it again when the Wind is down!!!!

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Holy smoke Woody ! Glad ya got back on the trailer before she went down .. No harm no foul and glad no one was hurt other than a little pride ...:redface:

Decker83

Commander
I have done that.. Watched the Admiral backing the boat down the ramp and kept waiting for the boat to float off the trailer and then looked at the back of
the boat filling with water.. I was jumping around like a fish outa water..
Glad to hear that you and the Admiral came out of this ok..
Admiral knows best..:D
Will shoot you my info in email..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Decker You can bet your sweet bippy I was doing some jumping around alright. At almost 65 I'm not as spry as I used to be, but I was moving pretty good gettin that plug back in!!! Not sure how much water was in there but it sure took a while for it to all drain out once we got her up on the trailer and back up on the ramp. Thanks for making me feel like I'm not the Lone Ranger when it comes to forgetfullness!!!!:facepalm:

Mark72233

Ensign
Mike, if sharing stories is going to make you feel better here is mine.

It was my first real boat a 21' Dolphin bow rider. It had an I/O/ I think it was a Volvo. I was on plane and noticed some water in the bilge that wasn't enough for the pump to pump out but enough that I decided to just pull the bilge plug. I always put my plug in from the inside and if everyone doesn't know that when your boat is up on plane water will drain out the bilge drain. So I pulled the plug and closed the dog house with the intent of riding out to the jetty which was about 15 minutes away and putting the plug back in before I came off plane. For the record this is always going to be a bad idea so don't do it. Well as is always the case I got distracted, sea gulls, pelicans, oh look at the dolphins, wow that's a cool looking boat, oh the jetties are a little rough today and so on. Well I got to the jetties and parked the boat up on the sandy beach at Shell Island and me and my girl friend went for a sunset walk on the deserted beach. Well as we are walking back to the boat I noticed how far down the stern looks in the water and from I distance I thought wow the tide has gone out and left the boat at that angle. As we get closer I realize what I have done and that the boat is sitting on the bottom :facepalm::frusty:. Lucky for me the water was only about 18 inches deep at the stern but all 18 inches are now in the boat. The engine is under water so yes I am screwed. The bilge pump still worked so I put the plug back in and pump out the water but I was still stuck on Shell Island as it was getting dark and this was back in about 1985 so no cell phones or Seatow. Luckily another boat showed up and after ruining his plans he towed us back to the boat ramps and as the custom dictates bought him a case of his favorite beer. That was the last time I pulled the plug while under way to drain out a gallon or two of water.

Feel better Mike? :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhhmmm NO! Now I feel REAL BAD for YOU!!!! That was NOT KOOL!!!! But...A good lesson for all of us!!!

I guess I DO feel a little better cuz it wasn't ME!!!!!:D:stupid:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well, me an Admiral gave it one more try and...

Had the Motor set to hight at first and it Porpoised on me so I set it down a couple of notches and she smoothed right out. Everything went well till right at the end when the overheat alarm went off. Luckily we were right by the ramp and I was able to get her in. I think the vernatherm might be bad. I put a new Water Pump Housing an Impellar in and I'm pretty sure I did it all correctly but...Being and Old Dumb Okie ya never know!!!! I Did NOT put in a New VernaTherm (Thermostat) soooo I'm Thinkin....It might be stuck shut partially shut and not allowing enuf water to circulate. This is the longest/hardest I've ever run the motor so for sure the water is not pumping correctly. I left the Cowling off when I towed it home and after 5 miles of wind blowing on the head, I was able to turn the key on an the Alarm was NOT sounding. I'm gunna check to ensure the impellar is spinning and pumping water up to where the VernaTherm housing is and then replace the VernaTherm. Replacing it is an easy fix. $9.00

We Did have FUN!!!
;

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Woohoo, great vid!!! I think yu re on the right path with the temp issue!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow ! The 85 sure pushes the BF along nice . ! I know that had ta feel good Woody even with a little trouble at the end .. :)

Decker83

Commander
Great looking couple in a great looking BF.. Good to see you and the Admiral enjoying the boat..:D

Mark72233

Ensign
Wood, I hate you had a over heat issue but she was screaming across the water real nice in that video.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Congrats again

Great to see ya using the BF as she deserves ;)

You'll get the alarm sorted out in no time.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Glad to see the BF flying across the water. If it weren't for the smiles I'd almost think you you were hanging on for dear life. LOL