1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED w/Pics

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1962 Lonestar "Flamingo" - I finally Started w/pics

I sure lucked out when I found her!!! Farmers & their Barns are very Kool!!!
Yeah, you're probably right, but have you seen what these guys are doing with their redfish and bench seats.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=343151&page=2

He's and old fart like me with a sewing machine so I was just thinking that over the winter when it was to cold to do anything else, I might give it a go. If it looks like Crap I can always go buy some back to backs or get mine recovered.

I'm just sayin...?

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Wood!! First time I've looked at your resto!! It's in great condition. Not having to tear up the floor saves a LOT of work. I love the controls and chrome on those 60's boats. That is just what I'd like to get someday.... Can't wait to see your finished beauty.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Sewing and making it look good is something I can't seem to do! It always looks like someone stuffed a vinyl pillow case full of broken bricks! But you might have the aptitude for it....everyone has their gift, mine is defiantly not sewing! Before I had a local guy do mine I found this website.

http://veada.com/category-1/22_10-Boat-Lounge-and-Jump-Seats.html

They supply a lot of manufactures with the OEM seats. BBO bought his buckets from them and I think is very happy with them. One thing I liked about them is that they will send you samples of the material so you can see what it really looks like. The colors on a computer screen are never even close...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I been working on the Splashwell. I am stripping the paint and trying to polish the aluminum. Having some success but not sure if I'm gunna be 100% successful. I may post some pics this weekend. I am also trying to build an extension on my shed so I will have a place to store the boat so I put the boat on hold for a while. Been to hot anyway.

I'm just sayin...:D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Should cool off there....it went from 95 to 75 in about ten miniutes here around 7! Right behind that of course was the thunderstorm....

Hope the polishing works out. We used to polish fuel tanks on semis, they would look like crap, a little jewelers rouge, a buffing wheel and they looked like mirrors. Looking forward to the pics!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That's what I'm using is the Rouge and a buffing wheel. Just takes time and I been working on my shed overhang too! I think maybe, I got to many things going at one time!!!! Oh yeah, and I ain't 30 no more!!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Remember this.
attachment.php

Well I worked for a hour on her and got this brushed aluminum look. Next, I plan on wet sanding with 400, 600, 800, and 1000 grit and then using jewelers rouge and polish it to a mirror finish. We'll see how that goes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The inside is going to be a Challenge but we had a cold front come thru last nite and it is in the 70's today and I can get a LOT done.... FINALLY

Attachments

• 100_3469.JPG
    100_3469.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_3470.jpg
    100_3470.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_3471.jpg
    100_3471.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_3463.jpg
    100_3463.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 6

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, Looking great... I know how the sanding can go.. good luck... I cant wait to see how the boat turns out.. I just now found your thread..
;)

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Woody- Looks great so far. As far as to many projects at once- well, that's just part of the experience:D

I'd say like arch- 650-700 pounds for the weight. Mine was 694 or something like that.

You definitely lucked out with the transom and floor- you save yourself months of dusty, dirty work!!!

I have a brand new old stock amp meter if you'de like it. I got it with the new old stock uni-charger I found on ebay.

My .02 on the seats- don't waste your time trying to sew them- go to your local boat place and order two back to back loungers and save on the shipping. $380 out of the box and in the boat- done!

My .02 on the speedo and amp- You can get a brand new matching speedo and amp meter like mine and arches for under $200 and everything ties in together. I had intended to keep my original gauges too until I saw the boat looking new and purdy- that's when I decided to put in new and tie it all together.

Keep it going- looking good!!!

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Woody, I like your new project and can't wait to see the finished product. now that I am back from Vac I can get back to work on mine. its not that we have to many projects its just that all the unimportant stuff like work and yard upkeep and honeydos get in the way.LOL

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Wow, Looking great... I know how the sanding can go.. good luck... I cant wait to see how the boat turns out.. I just now found your thread..
;)

Thanks MT, U R right about the sanding. But I'll keep pluggin away.

Woody- Looks great so far. As far as to many projects at once- well, that's just part of the experience:D
Yeah, you're right about that too!! Here's a pic of where my Flamingo will be parked when she's done.

attachment.php

I'd say like arch- 650-700 pounds for the weight. Mine was 694 or something like that.

You definitely lucked out with the transom and floor- you save yourself months of dusty, dirty work!!!

I have a brand new old stock amp meter if you'de like it. I got it with the new old stock uni-charger I found on ebay.

My .02 on the seats- don't waste your time trying to sew them- go to your local boat place and order two back to back loungers and save on the shipping. $380 out of the box and in the boat- done!

My .02 on the speedo and amp- You can get a brand new matching speedo and amp meter like mine and arches for under $200 and everything ties in together. I had intended to keep my original gauges too until I saw the boat looking new and purdy- that's when I decided to put in new and tie it all together.

Keep it going- looking good!!!

I'm thinkin you're 2 cents are probably worth a million bucks and more than likely will be the way I'll go. Thanks for your thoughts.

It is a BEEEE U TEE Ful day in Okie Homa today. I bought a polishing kit from Harbor Freight for 10 bucks and worked on a transom cover piece. Some jewelers rouge and a cloth wheel and about 10 minutes of work. WOW..... I just had to show you the results. I am stoked!!!!!!

attachment.php

If I can get the Splash well and the rest of the aluminum to look like this I am going to be WELL PLEASED!!!! I am back to it. More later. Gunna try to finish polishing the windshield today and take a video of it. Maybe have it posted tonite or tomorrow. Thanks for all of your support guys!!! This OLD MAN needs all the support I can get. I am really finding out I ain't 30 no more!!!!

Attachments

• PolishedTransomPiece.jpg
    PolishedTransomPiece.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 8
  • shedext.jpg
    shedext.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 8

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Cool, looks like you are making great progress! Enjoy the day....it will be colder than hell soon! :mad:

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

I like the extension on the garage! Just think- in a couple months you can enclose it, throw a little heater in there, and work inside;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Trust me.... It HAS crossed my mind

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Woodonglass,

Wow! That aluminum did turn out good.. I will have to attempt to find that jewelers rouge!

:)

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very nice shiny aluminum Wood!! Is that a contradiction in terms?? :D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well my Daughter, SIL, and two GK's came for the LONG Weekend soooooo.... the Boat and shed got put on HOLD! The GK's ALWAYS take precedence over ANYTHING!!!!! I am going to try to do some polishing on the Splashwell tonite and may post some pics later tonite or tomorrow. I am really impressed with what a little jewelers rouge and a little ole polishing wheel in a 3/8" drill can do on tarnished aluminum.

tallcanadian

Captain

Just caught up on your build, not sure how I missed it. Great boat and in great shape. Your very lucky about the transom for sure. That will save you a lot of heartache. And that aluminum trim is off the hook. Very nice. I usually take the easy route....if it don't shine, paint it black. lol. I'll be watching this one for sure. Good luck.

joza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I sure lucked out when I found her!!! Farmers & their Barns are very Kool!!!
Yeah, you're probably right, but have you seen what these guys are doing with their redfish and bench seats.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=343151&page=2

He's and old fart like me with a sewing machine so I was just thinking that over the winter when it was to cold to do anything else, I might give it a go. If it looks like Crap I can always go buy some back to backs or get mine recovered.

I'm just sayin...?

Hey Wood. Thanks for the mention in your post. My Dad and I have been busy with the Red Fish. My Dad has put a lot of time and effort into the making and sewing of the seats. Neither of us have ever done it before. He had some concerns about it, but I told him that the worst it can cost us is the price to replace the vinyl if we screw it up. But glad to say that so far so good. My boat unlike yours had bench seats in it originally so we were stuck with that. My best advice... if you take the seats on... slow and steady wins the race. We've got the front bench done, short of a couple of loose ends... the back bench may be tackled this weekend. I ordered the foam from ebay, the vinyl from Joanne's online. Good luck with the rest of your restore. It's looking great.

60Clipper

Seaman

Wood,
Looking GREAT bud. Sorry it took so long to post. Been really hectic lately and haphazard posting doesn't help. Thanks for the kind words on my resto project. It's almost done. I have to post some more pics. Great bone structure to work with on your boat. I should mention I use to live in Edmond from '94-'97 when I was flying with VQ-4 at Tinker AFB.

Can't wait to see your finished product! Great info on the aluminum. I have a couple of braces I'm making for the throttle board on my boat and I'm going to use aluminum brackets to tie the board to the bench seat an gunwale. That's how it was when i got it from dad. Original board was fir and I'm using Mahognay. I want to polish them up so they look factory so to speak. Thanks for that info.

Bob