Fixing-up Grandpa's Fishing Boat (Bass Tracker V-17) Finished

D Hanny

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Fixing-up Grandpa's Fishing Boat (Bass Tracker V-17) Finished

Say, does anyone know what layers exist on the transom on these Tournament V-17's?

(I know I could make another thread, but this seems perfect to keep it with the rest of this good info on the same model. Chris's '87 and my '85 seem like the very same hull... but his had, and has, a better layout and paint-job ... and better hatches... and just about everything else I see.)

Is there aluminum on the inside or outside of the transom, then wood, or is it all wood? I want to check mine before I go transforming the boat, but I'd like to know what I'm looking at first.

Thanks!

ho7030

Recruit

Hi Chris

I saw you fixed up your 87 tracker and i did the samething with my 85, i have to ask you where you got that nice concsole and who is it made by?
I tried to replace my windshield and its going to cost a ton so i figured I would just replace it with the same one you have.

NICE JOB on the boat and thanks for your help, :D
Harry

Just registered and am going to post some pictures and updates of my new boat.

I grew up fishing with my grandpa on the lakes in southeastern wisconsin. He moved to Florida a few years ago and fished quite a bit down there. Over the last few years he hasnt fished as much and decided to gift me the boat. We just had to drive down and pick it up :)

The boat is a 1987 Bass Tracker Tournament V-17 with a Mercury Classic Fifty and Quicksilver 2000 controls. The floors are solid and hull is in good shape. The goal of this project is to bring the boat up-to-date, and to do so will require the following:

• New seats
  • Updated console w/ new gauges and switch panel
  • All new wiring and fusing
  • Carpet repair/replaced/cleaned
  • New bow and anchor lighting
  • New foam in bow
  • Engine tune-up
  • Remove gas tank that was poorly installed up-front
  • Strip paint and add new stickers
Should look nice when all done.

Please feel free to post any comments or suggestions.

Thanks,
Chris

johnhanselman

Recruit

I was surprised to read that your floor was still solid after all those years. I have the same boat and I had to replace the plywood floor in the bow with a pressure treated plywood floor before I replaced the carpet because the floor was rotting.

Enjoy your boat and happy fishing!

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice

Been a while since I had last logged in and I seem to have lost the pics I posted in the thread.. but will re-add them in case my rebuild gives others ideas or motivation.

Life got busy- got married, bought home, etc... Sorry I did not reply to a few questions that were asked in the thread. Not in the running for forum member of the year :)

The boat is still a work in progress, adding things here and there. New trolling motor and hummingbird installed, rebuilt the console mount to raise it up to proper height, installed a 12gal gas tank, added gas gauge in console, installed a large storage compartment in bow, new sticker set for the motor, couple of other little things.

I'll add a few pics tomorrow.

But most importantly it runs great, catches a few fish, and lets me reflect back a bit about my Grandpa between casts and beer sips.

Grandpa George passed away last year, but thankfully was able to see the boat and all the work that was done to it when he last visited WI. I think he was proud of the work done.

Last edited:

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice
Here are a few of the final steps... I replaced the wood floor in the bow area, added a nice sized storage area and spray foamed all around it.

Last edited:

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Also replaced some of the worn stickers on the motor and rebuilt the console support to make the steering wheel proper height.

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Also replaced some of the worn stickers on the motor and rebuilt the console support to make the steering wheel proper height.
fetch

fetch

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice
fetch

fetch

Reese15

Recruit
Great Job! I'm restoring an 88' V17. Your last four pictures don't seem to be coming up? Unless its my browser. What kind of speed do you get with the Classic 50? Thanks

EDIT: Hey Reese, welcome to the forum. Say, this thread is over 90 days old and needs to drift back into the archives.....

12. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Please start a new thread of your own.

Thanks, WIMUSKY

Last edited by a moderator: