Fixing-up Grandpa's Fishing Boat (Bass Tracker V-17) Finished

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice
edit 5/2/14... I seem to have lost the pics I posted... but will re-add them to the thread in case my rebuild gives others ideas and add a few new pics of the work done since I last updated.

The boat is still a work in progress, adding things here and there. But it runs great, catches a few fish, and lets me reflect back a bit about my Grandpa between casts and beer sips.

He passed away last year, but thankfully was able to see the boat and all the work that was done to it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just registered and am going to post some pictures and updates of my new boat.

I grew up fishing with my grandpa on the lakes in southeastern wisconsin. He moved to Florida a few years ago and fished quite a bit down there. Over the last few years he hasnt fished as much and decided to gift me the boat. We just had to drive down and pick it up :)

The boat is a 1987 Bass Tracker Tournament V-17 with a Mercury Classic Fifty and Quicksilver 2000 controls. The floors are solid and hull is in good shape. The goal of this project is to bring the boat up-to-date, and to do so will require the following:

• New seats
  • Updated console w/ new gauges and switch panel
  • All new wiring and fusing
  • Carpet repair/replaced/cleaned
  • New bow and anchor lighting
  • New foam in bow
  • Engine tune-up
  • Remove gas tank that was poorly installed up-front
  • Strip paint and add new stickers
Should look nice when all done.

Please feel free to post any comments or suggestions.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Fixing-up Grandpa's Fishing Boat

Here is what it looked like when we arrived in Florida on 3/27:

IMG00065-20100327-1122.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

IMG00066-20100327-1122.jpg

DSC07622.jpg

Last edited:

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice

On the way back to Wisconsin we stopped at a Bass Pro Shops and picked up a few seats to replace the basic cushions that were in there.

IMG00070-20100401-1922.jpg

IMG00071-20100401-1922.jpg

Went to Cabelas and found some fantastic solid aluminum boat seat mounts and a few cupholders, a cargo net, etc... The seat mounts are made by Action Products.

IMG00072-20100401-1922.jpg

IMG00073-20100401-1922.jpg

Last edited:

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

First off, welcome to iboats, You'll have a great deal of fun with that boat, plus it means so much more when someone you love thinks of you that much. Have a great time.:cool:

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

Cool boat! Great gift from Grandpa!

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the comments so far! After some exploring I found that the wiring in the boat was a mess- multiple solid core 16ga power leads running around the boat, no fusing, and non-uv wiring that was cracking all over. It all must be replaced. I spent last Saturday tearing every inch of wiring out and running new wires.

IMG00077-20100403-1508.jpg

Really want to say thanks to Todd (my second cousin) from www.GreatLakesSkipper.com for the help on the console and making sure it will work with the mercury. They have EVERYTHING you can imagine for a boat overhaul. Below is a pic of the new console that will soon find itself in the Tracker.

IMG00076-20100402-1200.jpg

Last edited:

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice

Sunday I installed the console and re-did the throtle mount. Also completed the trim around the seats and made a new lid for the center storage bin top.

The console is insanely secure- does not flex or wobble. Feels like it is supposed to be there :)

IMG00078-20100404-1614.jpg

IMG00084-20100404-1847.jpg

I really like the seats... the boat is really starting to look like a much newer model :)

IMG00085-20100404-1847.jpg

Last edited:

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice

Wired everything today... all of the switches work as intended... aerator, bilge, lights, etc...

I am replacing the Fuel Gauge (as the boat has no built-in tank to install a gauge sender) with the below compass gauge:

IMG00097-20100410-1839.jpg

Next steps are to replace the bow light, and get the engine tuned up. Hopefully I will be on the water soon.

I still need to strip the paint off the boat, and order a sticker set- but that can wait. With the wiring all replaced, and up to par, I can finally take it to the mercury dealer and get this thing up and running!

Last edited:

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

You are really moving along!! It is definitely looking like new!
Keep up the good work!

tallcanadian

Captain

Welcome to the madness of boat rebuilding, or refitting. All I can say about your boat is so far, so good. Looks great. Nice work.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

S-w-e-e-t!

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a really nice looking boat. The new counsel really does make it look like a brand new boat. Pretty simply looking job for this restoration, but it is really looking good. Keep up the awesome work, and look forward to more pics of this project.

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the comments! I have 1 more weekend of work to do on this and then it is off to the dealer to get tuned-up.

Chris

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!

Nice work, that new console looks great. I bet your grandpa is happy to see you putting some work in on the rig:)

If you haven't already done so you may want to inspect the transom a bit to make sure it's strong and free of rot. It sure looks like the boat was well maintained since the carpet and everything look to be in good shape.

Looking forward to seeing some more photos, keep up the good work!

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice

If you haven't already done so you may want to inspect the transom a bit to make sure it's strong and free of rot. It sure looks like the boat was well maintained since the carpet and everything look to be in good shape.

Looking forward to seeing some more photos, keep up the good work!

Thanks for the tip- I checked and it looks to be in pretty good shape. Seems like a really great community of members here on iboats!

Chris

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice

Time for that faded paint to go.

IMG00089-20100410-1436.jpg

IMG00090-20100410-1436.jpg

I used Aircraft Stripper- burns on the skin :eek: so best to cover up when using it.

The aluminum looks great on it now... Just need to get a new set of Bass Tracker stickers to apply and I'm all set.

IMG00087-20100410-1435.jpg

Ill also be applying new registration stickers over the old ones for the registration- will look perfect once covered.

Last edited:

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice

Couple more changes to the boat today. Also ran new gas lines and a new speedo tube.

Cover Plate over old gas tank (removed) fill hole:

IMG00091-20100410-1436.jpg

Marine 12v Plug where ignition hole was on console:

IMG00092-20100410-1436.jpg

Need to buy stickers and take it to the Mercury dealer to have the engine tuned up. Will hopefully be on-the-water soon!

Thanks to all who are checking in on the progress. It is nice to feel like there is a little bit of an audience out there while doing all the work.

My goal was to make this 87' look and function like a much newer model- and if I am lucky- trick a few folks into thinking its a much newer boat.

Chris

Last edited:

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fixing-up Grandpa's Fishing Boat (Bass Tracker V-17) Updated 4/10

Thanks for droping in on my thread bro!

I really love those aluminum trackers! They make a great fishing boat and are very economical to operate! They sip gas because they are so light weight, while on the water and on the trailer. Looks like an awsome boat to fix up for sure!

Ill be following your progress bud!
Good luck.
RC

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks RC- It is a fairly light boat- which is good for the wallet :)

More good news... I think I have found my sticker set for the boat- it measures 85 1/2" wide x 11 1/4" high.

tracker2.JPG

Last edited: