• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Replacing Floor and console in BlueFin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Floor and console in BlueFin

Hello All,

I am needing to do a rebuild of the floor, bow seats, and console in my Bluefin tinny. After reading many posts on here, I plan on using 1/2 inch exterior plywood coated in epoxy. I plan on removing all of the poured foam and replace with blue foam pieces. Then laying marine carpet. Here are my questions.....

1.)How long does it take the epoxy to dry?
    2.)I assume that I don't need to use any fiberglass, just coat with epoxy?
    3.)If I use the same plywood on the console, do I coat that with epoxy as well?
    4.)Is 1/2 ply enough or do I need 3/4
    5.)When building the console and seats, is brass screws the way to go, using strips of square wood stock to screw into on corners?

Thanks in advance.
    Geeco
    Geeco
    1988 Blue Fin Sportsman 1700
    1988 Force 85 hp
    Restoration Thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=383916

Re: Replacing Floor and console in BlueFin

I feel fairly qualified to answer these

1. about 8-24 hours depending on the temp

2. I just coated with epoxy. I also added some strips of fiberglass cloth to the seams between my boards. What I did was applied 2 coats of epoxy to the bottoms of the deck boards and one coat on top. I then installed them in the boat and applied the final coat (including the glass strips) which has the benefit of sealing the screw holes. Completely glassing the boards does add a great deal of structural integrity and abrasion resistance. I covered mine with vinyl so I took a pass on the glass work.

3. Up to you. Epoxy is expensive. If I had some left over I would certainly coat it. I didn't so my above-deck wood is all just painted with a quality porch and floor paint.

4. I personally prefer 3/4" and used it on both my boat projects. It's rock solid. I'd go 5/8" minimum. That's just MY opinion though. Plenty of people use 1/2".

5. I used deck screws from Lowes/HD for the majority of my carpentry work in the boat.

Basically it's all about how much you want to spend and how long you want it to last.
    1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767
    1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338633 sold

Comment

Re: Replacing Floor and console in BlueFin

Originally posted by geeco1 View Post
      1.)How long does it take the epoxy to dry?
      2.)I assume that I don't need to use any fiberglass, just coat with epoxy?
      3.)If I use the same plywood on the console, do I coat that with epoxy as well?
      4.)Is 1/2 ply enough or do I need 3/4
      5.)When building the console and seats, is brass screws the way to go, using strips of square wood stock to screw into on corners?

Thanks in advance.
      Geeco
      Welcome to iboats, you know you have a starcraft in bluefin disguise right?

1. A good two days depending on temp, product label will specify this

2. Many of us are just using epoxy, some have glassed the entire deck, some glass just the seams.

3. I would epoxy all wood that is going in your rig.

4. I used 3/4" but folks have used 1/2"--best to use what was already in the boat for consoles and whatnot to fit back together perfectly.

5. Brass would be fine I believe, stainless steel are commonly used as well.

Good luck to ya!
      sigpic
      '79 16' Starcraft SuperSport
      12' AeroCraft '55 Johnson 5.5hp
      Starcraft brochures thread

Comment

Working...
      X