Replacing Floor and console in BlueFin

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello All,

I am needing to do a rebuild of the floor, bow seats, and console in my Bluefin tinny. After reading many posts on here, I plan on using 1/2 inch exterior plywood coated in epoxy. I plan on removing all of the poured foam and replace with blue foam pieces. Then laying marine carpet. Here are my questions.....

1.)How long does it take the epoxy to dry?
2.)I assume that I don't need to use any fiberglass, just coat with epoxy?
3.)If I use the same plywood on the console, do I coat that with epoxy as well?
4.)Is 1/2 ply enough or do I need 3/4
5.)When building the console and seats, is brass screws the way to go, using strips of square wood stock to screw into on corners?

Thanks in advance.
Geeco

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacing Floor and console in BlueFin

I feel fairly qualified to answer these :D

1. about 8-24 hours depending on the temp

2. I just coated with epoxy. I also added some strips of fiberglass cloth to the seams between my boards. What I did was applied 2 coats of epoxy to the bottoms of the deck boards and one coat on top. I then installed them in the boat and applied the final coat (including the glass strips) which has the benefit of sealing the screw holes. Completely glassing the boards does add a great deal of structural integrity and abrasion resistance. I covered mine with vinyl so I took a pass on the glass work.

3. Up to you. Epoxy is expensive. If I had some left over I would certainly coat it. I didn't so my above-deck wood is all just painted with a quality porch and floor paint.

4. I personally prefer 3/4" and used it on both my boat projects. It's rock solid. I'd go 5/8" minimum. That's just MY opinion though. Plenty of people use 1/2".

5. I used deck screws from Lowes/HD for the majority of my carpentry work in the boat.

Basically it's all about how much you want to spend and how long you want it to last.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Replacing Floor and console in BlueFin

1.)How long does it take the epoxy to dry?
2.)I assume that I don't need to use any fiberglass, just coat with epoxy?
3.)If I use the same plywood on the console, do I coat that with epoxy as well?
4.)Is 1/2 ply enough or do I need 3/4
5.)When building the console and seats, is brass screws the way to go, using strips of square wood stock to screw into on corners?

Thanks in advance.
Geeco

Welcome to iboats, you know you have a starcraft in bluefin disguise right?:)

1. A good two days depending on temp, product label will specify this

2. Many of us are just using epoxy, some have glassed the entire deck, some glass just the seams.

3. I would epoxy all wood that is going in your rig.

4. I used 3/4" but folks have used 1/2"--best to use what was already in the boat for consoles and whatnot to fit back together perfectly.

5. Brass would be fine I believe, stainless steel are commonly used as well.

Good luck to ya!