1989 Baretta Success 185 restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
As many projects start they tend to cascade from repair to full blown restoration... This one will fall in the middle of that. I will determine how far after the summer, for now I am going do the deck and stringers. I am horrible at remembering to take pictures as I progress with projects. I will try to get as many as I can and post them up.

The only picture I have of it right now is from the day I towed it home.

a9mqvl.jpg

I really like the lines of this boat. I can see it in many different colors, but for now I do not want to even think of painting it. I want to do as little as possible to keep the down time to a minimum. Our boating season is short here in MI so I will have plenty of time next winter to make my next move with it. I am rather burned out on body and paint anyway, I spent way too much time last year doing it for others.

Chris
1989 Baretta Open Bow 185

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Baretta Success 185 restoration

Nice looking boat. Well worth the effort to fix up. Looks like the exterior is in pretty good shape already.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you! The hull is in great shape and it runs very well. The picture does not show the fading, but I am thinking a little buffing will bring some shine back. Can't wait for this coming three day weekend to get most of the major work done. I have removed the old deck to expose the stringers and foam. I need to get some epoxy and glass and get to work. This is the most exciting project I have had in awhile and look forward to sharing here.

Chris

1989 Baretta Success 185

captmello

Captain

I will be watching closely as my Baretta will be going under the knife soon as well.:)

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not much to report on this. I have removed some of the foam and have for the most part removed the majority of the rotten deck. Picture looks like any other deck and foam removal, but I thought I would share anyway.

30le8f7.jpg

I am doing this work in the spray booth / storage stall of my shop. I need to get the S10 that is torn apart moved out and get my 4 post lift shoved out of the way to enable me to pull the engine out so I can begin repairing all of this mess. I will need the lift one last time this Saturday morning to fix my Dad's Grand Cherokee, after that I can rearrange everything for the engine removal task.

It is very true what they say about garages, no matter how big (or small I suppose) they are never big enough.

Hopefully I will be able to get rolling on it after I get everything situated.

Chris

Robert4Winns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is a nice looking boat. Pictures are always good. I like to see what is under the carpet of other boats and how they are built. Does this boat have 6 stringers?
I agree; no matter how big my garage is I will always find a way to fill it up.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Robert. It does have 6 stringers, 2 of them I think are only there for the ski locker. I toyed with the idea of not putting the ski locker hole back in, but I think i would regret it later.

captmello

Captain

Keep the pics coming. I'm definitely tearing my baretta apart this fall. Where is/was your gas tank?

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class

My tank is under the bow deck. Fortunately for me, I will not be seeing the tank :) as the deck up there is solid. That is if I do not have to split the cap from the hull.

I do have questions.

When I go to pull the drive off, is it as simple as removing the 6 bolts and the tilt cylinders? The bellows and all stay in the pivot housing? What will be needed for re-assembly? I plan on buying a service kit including the gimbal bearing, bellows, impeller, and misc gaskets.

What else is good to know?

Chris

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

While you are in the process of tearing everything apart I would strongly suggest you tear up the bow portion of the deck. It may seem solid but if the parts around it were rotted, chance are it is too or at least close to it. The peace of mind you will have knowing everything is new will be worth it;)
Good luck!!

Friscoboater

Captain

You are correct about the drive. The bellows stays on the boat. You might want to see the adults only section and download a shop manual. It really helped me.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Frisco, I did download the manual and after I posted last night I found a few pictures of one taken apart that confirmed my thoughts.

Anyone know what size eye bolt I will need to borrow from work for the outdrive?

I did not want to drill holes in the outside of the hull to check the transom, but from what I found inside it is dry. I am fully prepared to replace it once I have the motor out and can get a better look at it. From what I can see it looks like a easier one to replace in this boat than most of the others I have seen here.

Chris

mikezohsix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if it's a cobra OD, the thread is 1/2x13, at least that's what mine was.

captmello

Captain

I did not want to drill holes in the outside of the hull to check the transom, but from what I found inside it is dry. I am fully prepared to replace it once I have the motor out and can get a better look at it. From what I can see it looks like a easier one to replace in this boat than some most of the others I have seen here.

Chris

I agree, these transoms look very easy. Once you get the engine out, you can drill from the inside, down under the outdrive cutout is a classic rot spot.

My fuel tank is between the engine and ski locker. I like the idea of having it up front for better balance but my bow section, seats and floor are fiberglass, molded into part of the cap. Is that the way yours is? Or do

you have a wood floor up front? How bout some more pics of the bow/ gas tank area.:) I'm very curious how different our two boats are, being one year different and maybe a foot in length. Here's a pic of mine.

miscboatpics003.jpg
[/IMG]

captmello

Captain

if it's a cobra OD, the thread is 1/2x13, at least that's what mine was.

good luck using the lift eye with the swim platform above the outdrive.:eek:

may want to build a rolling outdrive stand instead. There are examples in the adults only section.:)

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree, these transoms look very easy. Once you get the engine out, you can drill from the inside, down under the outdrive cutout is a classic rot spot.

My fuel tank is between the engine and ski locker. I like the idea of having it up front for better balance but my bow section, seats and floor are fiberglass, molded into part of the cap. Is that the way yours is? Or do

you have a wood floor up front? How bout some more pics of the bow/ gas tank area.:) I'm very curious how different our two boats are, being one year different and maybe a foot in length. Here's a pic of mine.

good luck using the lift eye with the swim platform above the outdrive.:eek:

may want to build a rolling outdrive stand instead. There are examples in the adults only section.:)

My front is also molded fiberglass. Your boat looks nice! I am a little jealous of your color combo.

Duh, there is a swim platform in the way... I can make something up based on what I saw in the adults section, no worries :)

I will try to snap some more pictures of it and post them up tonight.

Chris

barrrj

Seaman

what adults only area has the manuals, i am confused....

thanks richie

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unfortunately there is not much to show you captmello... I was reminded when I looked under the deck that there is a bulkhead just aft the tank blocking the view of it. I did snap some pics anyway.

Here is the overall of the bow.

feotpf.jpg

Here you can see the cap that covers the fuel sender.

t9zc5c.jpg

Here we are looking down the hole for the sender.

2ceswfr.jpg

And one of the transom to explain why this one is easier to do than others.

16lbk06.jpg

And finally, yes there is no way an eye bolt will be utilized to take the outdrive off.

hrcwsy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.