Old jon boat transom

muddigger737

Cadet
Hi, i have a older 14 foot jonn boat and i was looking to replace the transom since its getting a little weak. I was wanting to cut the old one out and have a welder weld a new one in, but i do not know what kind or thickness of aluminum to use. If someone could give me some help on what kind and thickness of aluminum to use it would be great.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Old jon boat transom

Ayuh,... What's so Bad with your's,..?? I can't feature doin' it that way,..??

muddigger737

Cadet

There is no wood in it it is just a piece of aluminum and i have a 9.9 motor mounted on it and when i put it in reverse the transom moves and i would either like to replace it or reinforce it with wood. What would be the best thing to do for it.

Bondo

Staff member

or reinforce it with wood. What would be the best thing to do for it.

Ayuh,... I vote for Reinforcing with wood or aluminum or whatever ya want...
Cutting it apart would create Much more work...

muddigger737

Cadet

I will probabaly end up reinforcing with two pieces of wood and how would you propose that i attach the new peices of wood to the old transom.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are there handles on the transom? Are there any holes where handles were?
Is there a knee brace going from the floor to the transom? These would be the bolts used to mount the transom wood.
Do you have any pictures of the boat you can post?
I don't know how many jon boat transom replacement threads are on Iboat but you can look on www.tinboats.net for lots of info on this type of repair.

avimgod

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would either glass in a new transom wall with wood core, or make another transom wall and fill between the 2 aluminum pieces with seacast..

Either would work, but will also add weight to the transom... if you weigh your materials going in, add the same amount of weight forward to re-balance the boat... 14 foot tinny can't be all that heavy to begin with so you will want to be careful as any weight added will take away from the capacity of the boat!

muddigger737

Cadet

There are no handles that are mounted to the transom, they are mounted on the corner braces and there is a knee brace from the floor to the transom but it is rivited. Would it hurt it if i drilled a couple holes and sealed them up good. And is there andy way of attaching the wood to the bottom of the boat or not? Thanks

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Does it look like there was ever any wood for the transom? Is the knee brace riveted to the transom with space for some wood or is it tight to the aluminum. The original transom may have been a narrow piece of wood that went across the transom above the knee brace. You could build something to fit in this space and bolt it in with stainless steel bolts.

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

pictures are worth a thousand words... post them!!!!!

do not cut any orginal alum!!!!!
re-inforce with wood(not pressure treated) or alum, inside would be my choice if possible. i would try to use some alum angle to make a channel on the sides. attaching the angle and the new pc. to the transom with stainless steel nuts and bolts and the the angle to the sides. don't froget to use 3m 4200 to seal all

muddigger737

Cadet

I cant post any pictures at the moment because i have a broken leg and cant get to where im storing it with my leg being the way it is. but i dont believe that there was ever any wood on the transom and the knee brace is rivited tight to the transom. Also it wont hurt it if i drill into the bottom and seal it up real good. Thanks

muddigger737

Cadet

Oh and one more thing what will be the best type of wood to use and the best epoxy to use and anything else i will need. Thanks

jspano

Also it wont hurt it if i drill into the bottom and seal it up real good.

i would not do that. take a look at how some larger boats have the wood attached

see the tray on the bottom of the wood and on the sides
johnstransom.jpg
[/IMG]
this pic is borrowed from a friend

best type of wood to use and the best epoxy to use and anything else i will need.

high quality exterior ply wood, poly resin and fiberglass if you want to go that route, 3m 4200 for sealant

muddigger737

Cadet

My boat does not have trays like that but if i fabricated some, what would be a good way to attach one of them to the floor of the boat.

jspano

the sides are easy thier just angle brackets. the botom pc is more like a Z shape

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You will want "NON" Pressure treaded plywood about 1" to 1.5" thick. As big as you can fit in place. You can paint it, varnish it or coat it in epoxy resin. Then bolt it in with stainless steel hardware. You can also put some plywood on the outside of the transom. With enough bolts this should be strong enough for a 15 to 20HP motor.
Go to the tin boats web site you will dozens of transom rebuilds.

muddigger737

Cadet

My boat does not have trays like that but if i fabricated some, what would be a good way to attach one of them to the floor of the boat.

I know that the wood does not go on the floor, i was talkking about how to attach a piece of angle like the tray on the bottom of the boat you posted and what would be they best way to attach something like that onto the floor of my boat.

jspano

there are plenty of transom rebuild right here look at any alum restore on Iboats.

i already stated not to use pt wood and advised not going all the to the deck. this will not interfere with any drain plugs and advoid drilling thru the deck/hull. all fasteners will be in the transom and port and starboard side walls