Glasply rebuild/restoration

Capn Klaus

Cadet
Hello all,

Ok, I'm going to try this again with a new post as I had difficulties with photos and such. So, I am rebuilding a 1976 Glasply 24' with Cuddy Cabin. I traded a 16' Invader with 115hp Johnson for the Glasply thinking I was ONLY going to update the interior. This boat has been sitting in a barn for 3 years and was stored properly. The engine fire up after a couple of turns and ran extremely smooth. Well to make a long story short, I started to check the boat after I got it home with a fine tooth comb. I found some soft spots in the transom. As I am now getting the tingling sensation in the pit of my stomach, I decided to cut a few holes in the deck to inspect the stringers....AAARRRHHHH...you guessed it, all rotten. Not only that, someone in a previous time, had put pressure treated wood beside the original stringer to ..... I would guess give a few more years of life. Well, the pics will speak for themselves...I'll keep you posted as I go.

DSCF2976.jpg

DSCF2986.jpg

DSC_0518.jpg

DSC_0524.jpg

The next pic is of the stringers and side panels on the port side removed.

DSC_0526.jpg

Til next post....

Capn Klaus

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Glasply rebuild/restoration

Ayuh,... Resize your 1st picture,... Then you'll have a Nice thread goin'....

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Much Better,... Thank you...
You'll want to delete that email address too,...
Otherwise it'll become a spam filled useless account...;)

You've got your work cut out for ya,...
Good Luck...

Capn Klaus

Cadet
Glasply Transom question

Glasply Transom question

Ok..so I have now taken about half the skin off the transom to see how easy its going to be to remove. Well it looks like its going to be pretty easy as most of it is rotten to the point I can stick my hand into it.

Question:

The transom appears to be made by multiple layers of plywood but they put a layer of fiberglass between them. Is this how I should put the new transom back when I rebuild it??

Most of the forums that talk about transom rebuild just use epoxy to layer the plywood together....

Is there any benefit to put a layer of fiberglass between the layers?

I will post pics later so you can see how they built the transom.

Klaus

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

When using epoxy you don't need to use glass because epoxy is a very good glue. With polyester its better to use a layer of mat, but you can also use other types of adhesive to bond the ply together.

Capn Klaus

Cadet

Thanks for the info...I thought I didn't need glass between the plys...just wanted to make sure. Thanks again.

Klaus

Capn Klaus

Cadet

Today I finished taking out the rest of the stringers and removing the rest of the skin on the transom. Man was it rotten. Everything came out so easy. I will leave the Transom wood in place until I finish up the grinding and trimming of all the stray fiber from the hull.

DSCF3358.jpg

DSCF3357.jpg

DSCF3353.jpg

Capn Klaus

Cadet

Well I finally finished the cleanup of the stringers and transom. I will be doing gelcoat repair this weekend then getting ready for the transom rebuild. I was going to use a wood substitute but I just cant get myself to go that direction. I looked at Starboard and other pvc materials but their expansion rates are too high for structural components. One guy in an other forum stated...."show me a polymer compound that has withstood 30 years of sea pounding....then I'll entertain the idea of rebuilding my boat with a polymer instead of wood". Hes got a point....so I think I will go back to my original plan and use marine ply. Here are some pics...

DSCF3373.jpg

DSCF3374.jpg

Til next time,

Klaus

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice work on the clean out. You've got a clean slate now for your refit.