• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

what about concrete backerboard instead of wood for deck?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what about concrete backerboard instead of wood for deck?

Has any one tried using the concrete backer board as a water proof flooring Material? it dont weigh any more then plywood, used all the time in tile shower installation.
    1989 2155 Bayliner Sunbridge 5.8L
    1978 Winner Wildcat II 3.7L

Re: what about concrete backerboard instead of wood for deck?

Its not a structural product - its placed on top of plywood on horizontal surfaces.

Ben

Comment

hmm never seen them use plywood behind it. Im a new constrution plumber and never seen that done that way i always see them just nail it to wall.

Comment

and another thought is why not use the metel studs instead of 2x4 wood they now use to build with? they dont rust, made of tin i believe.

Comment

Yes it has great water resistance but it has no structure of it's own. Used to form stringers or used as a floor it will just crumble. Plywood has structure in all three directions no matter which way it's cut or positioned in a boat. Then glassing ply with resin and cloth, mat or... it becomes even stronger. Backer board weighs the same as pressure Treated Ply wood (PT) but a good exterior non PT plywood weighs less. Then there is exterior glue hardwood (not oak) cabinet plys (7+ layer) are even lighter. There is plenty of advice on this subject here and new idea are great but sometimes what has been working is still the best way to go. It's proven so you can trust it.

Hope this helps.
          LR Custom
          http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=376954
          87 Sea Ray Restore
          May the sunrise find you on the water and the sunset find you at peace with the day.

Comment

thanks Ircustom very informative information. I was just wondering with all the rotten wood post i read why put something back in that is just going to rot again

Comment

Eute,
              The hope is to do a very good job rebuilding our boats better than they were. The manufactures build fast and as low cost as possible IE: the wood rots because it's not taken care of. When we rebuild we have the opportunity to take our time to do a very good job. When we are done not only do we feel good because we built it but with great pride we can enjoy our craftsmanship and skill has we cast a lure next to that lilly pad or yank that skier out of the water. That's fun with a capital F.
              LR Custom
              http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=376954
              87 Sea Ray Restore
              May the sunrise find you on the water and the sunset find you at peace with the day.

Comment

my 02 worth backer board is designed to add structural integrity to a sub floor to prevent flexing movements that could break tile or grout. if you try to span say stringers w/o sub floor the backer board will break. So cover your plywood with resin and leave the backer board for tile projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Eute View Post
                  hmm never seen them use plywood behind it. Im a new constrution plumber and never seen that done that way i always see them just nail it to wall.
                  No they don't put anything behind it when used on a wall. They also don't put anything behind 1/2" drywall when used on a wall but would you use 1/2" drywall instead of plywood on the floor of a house?????
                  1988 Sea Ray Seville 16 BRO w/1997 Mariner 115
                  My build thread
                  My upholstery thread

Comment

Originally posted by Eute View Post
                    and another thought is why not use the metel studs instead of 2x4 wood they now use to build with? they dont rust, made of tin i believe.
                    They are galvanized steel and are fine for walls in a building, But have you ever seen one used as a structural support like a floor joist? Also, how would you attach them to a hull?
                    1988 Sea Ray Seville 16 BRO w/1997 Mariner 115
                    My build thread
                    My upholstery thread

Comment

I think using backer board would be right up there with the Thunderbird trihull I bought last year for it's motor, the guy screwed down OSB for a new deck, over top of what was left of the old deck, troweled the seams and rounded the edges with mortar, then poured masonry floor leveler over the wood, then glued down flowered Armstrong Linoleum. I guess he did kitchen or bathroom floors for a living. The boat was so heavy by the time he was done the spashwell would fill with water with the boat empty. I borrowed a jack hammer to bust up the deck just to lighten it up enough to scrap it.

Comment

Originally posted by 109jb View Post
                        They are galvanized steel and are fine for walls in a building, But have you ever seen one used as a structural support like a floor joist? Also, how would you attach them to a hull?
                        Yup, 2x8 16 ga.studs back to back w/ 5/8 ply over it. Lots of shed manufacturers do it. Termites don't like steel...
                        90 Carver Montego 21.5 (23') "Lady Minna" (yes a name change in honor of our fallen Labrador. Poseidon understands.)

In the immortal words of Hunter S. Thompson:
                        "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
                        arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
                        in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
                        and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Comment

They make a non-concrete backer for shower and tubs. That might or might not work for a floor. I think it only comes as 32"x48" pieces.

Comment

Thanks very good answers i didn't take in consideration.
                            but they do use the metal studs as load bearing walls and floor joist, the 20 gage ones which weigh about the same if not less then wood ones.
                            Also wouldn't you attach those the same way as you do wood?
                            Even doubled up 16 gage would still weigh a fraction of what wood would

Comment

I was at Lowe's today and was looking at the 1/4" Hardie board for sawfit material...very smooth surface on both side...it weighs about double that of the same material in wood...they claim it is water and moisture resistant and will not mildew...it's about 22 bucks a 4X8 sheet...I tried to bend the stuff but it is very rigid and looks like it might be strong enough for deck material...have you seen this stuff Eute?
                              One of these days I'll get to go fishing in my new boat

Comment

Working...
                              X