Center Console Steering cable question

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, i just don't get how to pull it off. Talking about tradition single steering cable systems, does the steering cable go under the floor, and how does it install without having a small radius 90* bend?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Center Console Steering cable question

Yeh under the floor, mine runs thru a 4 inch (grey) pvc conduit from home depot,
Lay it out first, the pipe will run from the right side of the console to the right side of the splashwell. The cable has to sweep at the steering wheel end and the transom end so do a layout with the cable first.
The only way to get the cable end into the steering tube is to lift the engine away from the transom, insert the cable end and position the engine on the transom again. I use an engine hoist.

Take a look at some boats and see how they did it, the geometry has to be right, the steering wheel has to be position correctly.
My steering wheel is on the right side of the console, so the cable forms a big loop, almost 180 degs then goes down under the deck.
It has a sort of ramp so the cable goes in at a gentle curve.
If water flows into the control tube ( all the elecs run through it too) the water just runs into the self bailing area next to the splashwell and the cables run through the splashwell wall with seals to prevent water getting into the deck area.

Its a lot harder to describe.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Center Console Steering cable question

I also had to remove the outboard before I could remove the steering from my OB. I used a forklift and some nylon tow straps and suspended the engine so that I could push and rotate it to the point where I could remove that bar. My cable isn't in a tube, it just runs under the deck and back to the starboard side of the splash well. Its long enough that there aren't really any sharp bends.