1979 Witchcraft

B. Oakley

Cadet
Since this is my first post I thought I'd start out by saying, "Hi."
I just purchased a 1979 Witchcraft with a Mercury 90 outboard. This is my first boat and I know nothing so I'm sure I'll be around here with a ton of questions. The outboard seems to work fine. At least while it's hooked up to the hose adapter.

Now for the first set of questions.
1. Does anybody know anything about these boats particularly this one? It's model #10 0/B M (I think). It's hard to read as it's etched by hand and old. I can't seem to find much of anything on them. It has a ski pole that bolts to the floor and has two supports that run to the back but it's not on right now because the cover doesn't fit with it on.

2. I'm trying to find info about the outboard. I think it's around 1990. It's serial #0C235491. Any manuals or anything would be great.

I'm going to rewire it as it's a mess but I'll post those questions in the electrical section.

I attached a picture.

Edit: Threw in some pictures of the outboard.

Attachments

• IMG_2056sm.jpg
    IMG_2056sm.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2057sm.jpg
    IMG_2057sm.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2058sm.jpg
    IMG_2058sm.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 0

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1979 Witchcraft

hi welcome aboard, never heard of or seen one of these, so im not much help there, for your motor ???s post on the outboard forums, those guys are great and prob have an answer for you quickly, i have gotten help there in the past.
good luck with this project, btw thats a nice looking boat.
D

B. Oakley

Cadet

Thanks. I like it. My wife calls it the banana boat. I wish I could find out more about it. There just doesn't seem to be anything on the net. I bought it for $300. They were the original owners and really didn't want to get rid of it but they are getting old and don't use it as much as they used to. I figured that if they liked it enough to keep it for over 30 years, it might be a good first boat for me and the price was right. If I am in over my head, I could sell it and make a little profit I'm sure.

So far I've rewired the trailer and cleaned up inside the boat a little. Next is to do a little rewiring. I don't think the tach works and I know the lights on it don't work. The stern white light was missing but I found it tucked way back under one of the seats so that was cool. I'm going to put new carpet in it but I have been thinking if there is something better than outdoor carpet. There aren't any tears in the seats. A little bit of the seams are coming apart in some areas.

So overall I think I got a pretty good deal.

B. Oakley

Cadet

Congratulations, nice looking boat on a good trailer.

You can buy a Seloc manual right here on Iboats.

http://www.iboats.com/Marine-Boat-M...1880194--**********.524791968--view_id.216500

Thank you. It's a good trailer? I think they said it was an Easy Loader or something like that. Other than the wasp nests in the frame :( it seems pretty solid. Might try to clean it up and paint it one of these days when I can figure out what to do with the boat while I'm doing it.

I'd buy a manual but I'm not 100% sure what year outboard I have yet. I want to buy the right one.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

im in the same situation cant find anything about osborn boats,
winter haven, fl.mine is a 1978.
you can try fiberglassics.com dont know if its old enough.
i do not like carpet in boats holds water and accelerates the floor rotting, some wouldnt have it any other way, im sure youll find us split 50/50 on carpet or no. i prefer a non skid paint or such in a boat.

Huron Angler

Admiral

There sure were lots of yellow boats manufactured in 1979. I've got one myself.:D

Nice looking rig, sure looks fast.

B. Oakley

Cadet

im in the same situation cant find anything about osborn boats,
winter haven, fl.mine is a 1978.
you can try fiberglassics.com dont know if its old enough.
i do not like carpet in boats holds water and accelerates the floor rotting, some wouldnt have it any other way, im sure youll find us split 50/50 on carpet or no. i prefer a non skid paint or such in a boat.

Thanks. I'll have a look. I myself am 50/50 on the carpet. I was thinking about the roll on truck bed coating. I think it's called Rhino lining or something but I would have to get it in something other than black. Too hot.

There sure were lots of yellow boats manufactured in 1979. I've got one myself.:D

Nice looking rig, sure looks fast.

Thanks. I like it. I said the same thing yesterday. It just looks fast. I can't wait to take it out. I agree with the yellow and the late 70's. There was another boat I was looking at, I think it was a 77, and it was yellow and orange. It was quite ugly. Not that yellow and brown sparkle is any better really. :D Funny. My first car was a yellow VW bug (a '74 by the way).

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

check into duraback (spelling) or kiwigrip, grizzlygrip etc.
these are the roll on type (paintlike)

testmoron

Cadet

I have owned both a 19 and 21 foot witchcraft.Both outboards.They raced some of these hulls at Parker, in the late seventies

B. Oakley

Cadet

I have owned both a 19 and 21 foot witchcraft.Both outboards.They raced some of these hulls at Parker, in the late seventies

Mines a 17 foot. Do you know of any place that has information on them? You can imagine the kind of result when googling "witchcraft".:eek:

testmoron

Cadet

you can try some of the racing web sites.I know they were made in orange county ca.

MyViewGS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice lookin race boat. I think they quit making witchcraft boats around 1980. The merc. is a long shaft 1990 (unless I looked at it wrong). I agree, you may want to try a few race boat forums too for info. Enjoy!!

MyViewGS:cool:

B. Oakley

Cadet

Thank you. Yeah, that's about all I could find on them. Late 70's and very early 80's manufacturing. Doesn't seem like they produced them form many years. I only found 1 picture on the web of one of them and there wasn't too much info with the picture. Just about some guy used to race them in the 70's. Thanks for the racing boat forum suggestions. I'll try that.

The boats in surprisingly good shape. I thought there was going to be a bunch of electrical issues as nothing but the fuel gauge works but I traced some wires and found a few loose ones back by the battery that went to a broken rusted switch on the dash. I hooked them up to the battery and got 12v at the switch wires. Connected both wires together and everything seems to be getting power now. I just need to replace the switch and a few bulbs and I think I'll be ready to go.

glennmerg

Recruit

Can I ask what you paid? I have a 1979 with a 115hp Merc. Super clean runs great but I have no idea what to ask for it.

Thanks in advance

Glenn

PS. I just have a mercury owners manuel for mine. The only issue I have ever had with it was the steering cable. Other than that it has been a great boat. Been in our family since 1982! Just make sure you run the gas out of the carbs everytime you pull it out of the water and it will run forever! Enjoy it!!

B. Oakley

Cadet

$800 for the boat and $100 for the trailer. It's in pretty decent shape. I've had it out about a dozen times now and it runs great. I just got back from Lake Wallowa, Oregon and was worried the high altitude would be an issue but it ran like a top.