1987 Wellcraft 192 Classic Cuddy Cabin Restore

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Wellcraft 192 Classic Cuddy Cabin Restore

And of course the exterior of the boat. It was pretty badly faded so I watersanded the entire boat and then buffed it all back out. You will notice in the pics that I have not washed or waxed the boat after buffing at the time that I took the pics.

Before watersanding and buffing.

beforebuffing.jpg

rear.jpg

After watersanding and buffing.

frontafterbuffing.jpg

rearafterbuffing.jpg

10thHawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Things looking good. Gonna do the same to my teak, I like how it came out. How long did the watersanding take you and what did you use for it?

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Things looking good. Gonna do the same to my teak, I like how it came out. How long did the watersanding take you and what did you use for it?

I started with 240 and then I think it was 800. Then I went over one last time with 1000. There are a few places I didnt get well enough with the 1000 that shows after buffing but I think that will give me something to do when I have spare time at the lake, such as when the kids are just out swimming and we not really doing anything with the boat. That way I can do it right there with plenty of water and getting wet wont be an issue..lol

I really dont know how long it took me. I cant remember the buffing compound I used but I do know it is made by Meguires and is a 10 on the 1 to 10 scale on the bottle. I will check tomorrow and let you know exactly what it is. It is not what I wanted to use but I dont know what the stuff I wanted is called or where to get it. All I know about it is I am pretty sure it is in a blue bottle. It is really good stuff.

10thHawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think that blue bottle might be zymol? I have one i use on my car. Thanks for letting me know what you used to wetsand. My gelcoat looks the same as yours did. I'm gonna give that a shot.

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, it has definately been a while. Got some things done to the boat. Carpet is in, cabin doors and other teak items are in. Will be posting pics in a day or so. Used some old seats I had laying around temporarily. Still got to paint seats and seat posts, check all wiring and rehang some wiring, reinstall trim pump, reinstall battery, and I am sure there are a few other things.

I just removed the outdrive in order to reseal it due to an upper seal leaking oil into the u-joint bellows. Will also be changing all bellows as well. The exhaust and u-joint bellows are both in good shaft but the shift cable bellows is bad. Also, the water hose has some cracks in it so will be replacing that as well.

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seats are obviously used. I still need to paint them and paint 3 seat pedastals. The captain seat pedastal I made out of some scrap steel I had laying around. New seats will be a future project but just not in the budget at the moment. Still need to trim carpet also.