'71 Starcraft '16 SS Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, here we go, I am still trying to get the hang of postings pics, so be patient. I have got her gutted and am going to powerwash this week. I have ordered the Gluvit and the Epoxy, should be here this week. A buddy happened to have a leftover 15 ply laminated beam so we cut the transom out already, I am hoping this works. It sure is solid and it has vary tiny plies, that he told me was designed as a structural beam. More pics to come as I progress.
DSCF1002.jpg

Heresheis.jpg

DSCF1006.jpg

DSCF1003.jpg

DSCF1005.jpg

Last edited:

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '71 Starcraft '16 SS Rebuild

Welcome to the club Stratosman, good looking project ya got....enjoy!
And lots of knowledgeable friendly folks here to guide you along if need be. :D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice rig stratos, welcome to the club. These boats are fun to work on and you've got a nice project started there.

It looks like your stringers are farther apart than mine. Maybe on the older ones they made the deck a little bit higher?

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome Stratos, keep the pics coming, they look great! That wood should be plenty strong for a transom, make sure you seal it up well.

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK time for a few more pics. I have the gluvit down, the floor cut and have started on the epoxy. I took the keystone board out today, rather easy if you remove the top deck. Came out just like the transom. Scored some original Starcraft bucket seats on ebay, three for 150.00 bucks, will post pics later. Alomst have all the holes filled on the top deck and rails, final sanding on them tomorrow then remove the boat from the trailer and flip her over in the garage. Took EZ's advice and bought the Easypoxy, came Friday! White and Bikini Blue. Took the windshields apart and have the old Plexiglas at a local mill to use as patterns for new. What a week!
DSCF3001.jpg

DSCF3002.jpg

DSCF3003-1.jpg

DSCF3004.jpg

DSCF3005.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looking real good so far.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice lookin rig you have there, that is going to be a great project. Cool thing is you have a bunch of SS rebuild projects all around ya for help! Cheers!

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All kinds of goodies came in the mail today! Seats, Posts and slides. Paint, noodles, railing, cleats, vinyl floor. Got her flipped over tonght with the help of a neighbor and his wife, along withmy wife and daughter. Here are some more pics.

DSCF3017.jpg

DSCF3016.jpg

hump07

Cadet

cool I am also using lvl in my transom. I ran it through a planer to get it down to inch and a half.

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello...in your thread.."finally took the plunge" you said you didn't know the year of the boat...you must have figured it out,,,I see this thread says
1971 starcraft rebuild...
I was going to say your windshield looks pre 1974...if not pre 1972
and the roller arms on your trailer look like the roller arms on my Spartan trailer under a 1971 Starcraft 16ft SS...... One problem with those
roller arms.... that style tends to hold water in 8 of the 16 roller arms...
I would drill extra drain holes in the arms that need it. I had to replace 2 of the arms due to rust...had them custom made...and had 2 more extra's made
for spares...they just bolt on and off...You look like you are really moving on this project....done this before?????:D

Attachments

• MY BOAT LOOKING AT SIDE A RESIZED.JPG
    MY BOAT LOOKING AT SIDE A RESIZED.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 1
  • MY BOAT 6 13 09 A RESIZED.JPG
    MY BOAT 6 13 09 A RESIZED.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 1
  • MY BOAT 6 13 09 E RESIZED.JPG
    MY BOAT 6 13 09 E RESIZED.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 1
  • MY BOAT 6 13 09 G RESIZED.JPG
    MY BOAT 6 13 09 G RESIZED.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 1
  • MY BOAT 6 13 09 J RESIZED.JPG
    MY BOAT 6 13 09 J RESIZED.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 1

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Star,
the trailer is a 1986 Long and the boat is a 71 model. I just finished all the paperwork two weeks ago, PA is really slow. This is the first full tin boat I have ever done. Learned almost all of what I know from this board! I have owned boats all my life and put a couple of 'glass floors in, as well as recarpets and paint. Can't wait to get this one done, my daughter is real excited and my wife does not beleive it will ever leave the garage!:eek: LOL!

Darren

oneofakindmale

Recruit

can someone please take a look at my pictures in my album and send me an email at EDIT to let me know whats the best way to redue my floor on my boat.........also I would like to know if i could cut that close bow.....the front of the boat an make it a drop floor....(open boat) without affecting the structure of the boat. if the boat is leaking is it easy to repair leaks on aluminum boats.

Last edited by a moderator:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

oneofakindmale, please start your own thread instead of hijacking this one. Read any of the many Starcraft restoration threads for answers to your questions.

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, weekend update! Got the entire hull sanded, once with 80 grit and then again with 150. She is nice and smooth now, primer next. Took about 19 hours and my hands are still vibrating, LOL! Filled her full of water tonight to check for leaks and there were NONE, YAY! Here are the most recent pics.

DSCF3021.jpg

DSCF3020.jpg

DSCF3022.jpg

DSCF3023.jpg

DSCF3024.jpg

DSCF3031.jpg

Darren

North Beach

Commander

Darren, those pics of the sanded hull bring back memories of my project from last year. This is gonna be a nice one when you get it finished.

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I sure aint lookin forward to the sanding part on my boat! Was tellin hubs I like the grinder...don't make me feel like I'm vibrating, like my orbital does...even 30 minutes later :D

Lookin forward to seein whatcha do with 'er!!!!! :)

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, NB. I can only hope she turns out half as good as the LL!:)

Darren

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looks like one clean hull there, are you going to throw down a coat of gluvit as preventative maintenance?

Might as well even if she doesn't leak.

Nice work stratos:)

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks HA. Gluvit was the first thing I did after I wire wheeled the interior hull. I am trying to follow the steps that you guys have taken before me and can only hope that mine turns out as good as all of yours has.

Darren

sprintst

Commander

Nice... It's great to have all that gunge gone to start fresh on a clean hull.

Status
Not open for further replies.